What aspects of certain maps do you find the most fun?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.

Which gamemode(s) do you find the most fun?

Arena
No votes
Capture the Flag
12%
Attack & Defend (Control Point)
12%
Standard (Control Point)
15%
King of the Hill
17%
Payload
35%
Payload Race
5%
Territorial Control
2%
Special Delivery
3%

Total votes: 60
Cheddars

What aspects of certain maps do you find the most fun?

Post by Cheddars » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 pm

By now, I can assume that most people on j2 have probably played quite a few maps: be it custom or stock. And through those hours of playtime, there's no doubt we've all found a few aspects or areas of the map that seems to shine and lead to it's replayability.

For me, I find the second point on Badwater Basin, with it's goal of maintaining height advantage, a very unique area which makes the point both fun to attack and defend.
ImageImage

So, feel free to post your personal favorites below and discuss the level design at play. Hopefully, this discussion will inspire us to seek and try the numerous new maps that are often overlooked on the j2 rotation as well as fuel the inspiration for the map-creators of j2.
Maha

Re: What aspects of certain maps do you find the most fun?

Post by Maha » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:15 pm

God, I can think of a bunch of maps with sections I really like but I cannot remember map names for the life of me. Will get back to you on that.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Maps with traps, things that can kill you. Not many TF2 maps have this, all I can think of is Mr. Blips train map. Most of this died off after CS 1.6 and most CS:S maps that had these situations were abstract maps and those didn't remain popular after a few years. Nothing was funnier than watching somebody play a round and get massacred because they didn't know the map yet, or a game glitch killed them off (func_vehicle post cs 1.3)
jermm

Post by jermm » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:28 pm

I love SD.
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:34 pm

My favorite maps take care to get the small things right. Proper spawn time ratios between the teams, having forward spawns or shortcuts open up, clearly having the proper path labeled, etc.

As far as good map sections go, off the top of my head, cashworks point 2. Particularly the fact that it rewards classes for using their advanced movement options. Detonators, quickfixes, and FaNs let players flank and other fun stuff they couldn't normally do.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Anything with a high cieling.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:15 pm

When designing ctf maps, you have to make it so that both attackers and defenders have a lot to consider. This is why ctf_impact is my favorite map on the server.
ImageImage
When defending (specifically as an engineer), you have to think about so much, since the enemy can break in so many different ways. You've got to be asking yourself "Are they coming in through the ceiling? Are they trying to break the glass? Are they building on the roof right now?" and adjust your defense accordingly. Likewise, when attacking, you have to pay attention to where the enemy is bolstering their defense. For example, I once was playing spy when two engineers had nests set up at the top of this ramp (where the picture is being taken from)
The engineers had a pyro and some other guys defending their nests, while the rest of their team was around the side entrance. Knowing i couldn't sap the nests, I snuck onto the roof, dropped down, left via the side entrance, backstabbed anyone who was fighting there, and got home scot free.
Plus, building a nest on the enemy's roof is the most satisfying thing.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:48 pm

KoD wrote:all I can think of is Mr. Blips train map
That's probably the first time anyone's ever said anything positive about that godforsaken map
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g
ggg

Post by ggg » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:48 pm

KoD wrote:all I can think of is Mr. Blips train map
i wouldnt call those traps
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:27 am

I love maps where it doesn't end up with engi turtling and stalemate. So, that rules out 99% of our ctf games.

My favorite maps, hm. I almost always play medic whenever we're being serious, so that changes my opinion some what. I love cp_antiquity, it's well balanced, pretty, and fun to play on. You're not walking forever and it's not turtled often. That new cp map we played last week, underhanded I think? That was really fun.

I like pl_beerbowl, I think. There's another pl map I love, I just can't remember the name. I like outback and repository, maybe it's one of those too. All of these maps are more or less balanced and generally stalemate free. As for being medic, they're good because I can generally build up uber to rek people without dying. Oh, and I almost forgot, upward is my favorite stock map. It's hard to turtle, there's lots of different routes, and it's pretty.

For koth, if we're serious I love arctic. If we're screwing off I like megaman, harvest, or king.
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:37 am

I like payload maps. badwater, goldrush, cashworks, frontier, swift, cashworks They're all long enough and big enough that you can set up lots of defenses, but there are also enough ways to flank.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

jamietech
Now Biodegradable

Post by jamietech » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:05 am

On rooftime I like the roof.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 am

I like the number 2 and forts. :awesome:
rockerboy
Pls luv me
<font color=#e900da><b>Pls luv me</b></font>

Post by rockerboy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:31 am

Redfort and facing worlds sticky jumper. Desperados sniper/spy.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 am

payload maps hands down the best ones
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."