Hey, let's get rid of double overheal already.

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Parasyte

Re: Hey, let's get rid of double overheal already.

Post by Parasyte » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:37 pm

dyl1138 wrote:
Archer wrote:
Arron Dominion wrote:So that is why the overheals are so weird, the medic from last season [..]
What does that even mean? Last year? Who? You? League of Legends has "seasons", but TF2 doesn't...
Archer look at his sig. The guy plays competitive tf2, which has seasons and teams with designated classes.
That's all well and good, but I think Archer's point is that competitive nomenclature is wasted on the average TF4 player. The lingo isn't relevant to many, so it can confuse rather than clarify.

Keep on towing that line, guys. I'm sure this thread will bring about change someday... long after everyone has abandoned TF4.
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:29 pm

Parasyte wrote:
dyl1138 wrote:
Archer wrote:
Arron Dominion wrote:So that is why the overheals are so weird, the medic from last season [..]
What does that even mean? Last year? Who? You? League of Legends has "seasons", but TF2 doesn't...
Archer look at his sig. The guy plays competitive tf2, which has seasons and teams with designated classes.
That's all well and good, but I think Archer's point is that competitive nomenclature is wasted on the average TF4 player. The lingo isn't relevant to many, so it can confuse rather than clarify.

Keep on towing that line, guys. I'm sure this thread will bring about change someday... long after everyone has abandoned TF4.
These discussions are just meant to raise awareness about certain attitudes regarding the server while brainstorming methods that might improve the current situation. That's all we can ever hope to do with these discussions; whether any actual change will ever be done is up to the senior admins with the power to do so.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:11 pm

We've been brainstorming about this kind of stuff for so long, what about implementing default overheal for a trial period to test the reaction? I never see people defending extra overheal, only criticizing it.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:49 pm

A Ninja wrote:We've been brainstorming about this kind of stuff for so long, what about implementing default overheal for a trial period to test the reaction? I never see people defending extra overheal, only criticizing it.
We should also have a trial period for 4x overheal, because why not? Also because I did the math for some Time-To-Kills for a couple of different encounters and it's hilarious.
timtoborne

Post by timtoborne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:34 pm

I forget, why does the amount of overheal we have on the server matter?
Steam is BLU_Collar, PSN is GGLinear, and my LoL account name is Somber Rites.

It's been years since I've spoken with any of you, but if you ever want to play or just talk, feel free to contact me.
Maha

Post by Maha » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:56 pm

timtoborne wrote:I forget, why does the amount of overheal we have on the server matter?
Because setting it too high overpowers the higher HP classes.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:03 pm

no it just nerfs the one shot kill snipers and makes the medic even more important.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:13 pm

scobywhru wrote:no it just nerfs the one shot kill snipers and makes the medic even more important.
By making Heavies retarded bullet sponges don't hide the issue, Scooby.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
John von Neumann

Post by John von Neumann » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Mastermind1011 wrote:
A Ninja wrote:We've been brainstorming about this kind of stuff for so long, what about implementing default overheal for a trial period to test the reaction? I never see people defending extra overheal, only criticizing it.
We should also have a trial period for 4x overheal, because why not? Also because I did the math for some Time-To-Kills for a couple of different encounters and it's hilarious.
I agree. As someone who often plays medic, 4x overheal would be amazing.
And of course, we should also definitely do the default overheal trial to see what actually happens.
...That said, I can't resist making another suggestion.

When I play medic, I prioritize my ubercharge above all else. It also happens that I don't die nearly as much in TF4 as in most other pubs.
Maybe this is due to 2x overheal. Maybe I just happen to play with excellent pockets. Maybe TF4 has above-average players.
I don't know why this is. Whatever the reason, I enjoy being able to frequently pull off ubers as a medic.

So here comes my crazy idea.
If medics die much more often during the default overheal trial,
then we should continue the trial with one change: self-overhealing for medics.

That is, suppose I am a medic with full health. If I were to heal someone now, I would also overheal myself at the same time.
Yes, just overhealing. With this mechanic medics are still less squishy,
and they don't have to worry about buffing fellow medics. Everyone wins.

Debating is for nerds. Let's do a default overheal trial.
A potential issue is squishy medics. If medics die more often during the trial,
give them the ability to overheal themselves while healing other players.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Interesting idea with the self healing medics. Pocketing someone is fine, but you still need to heal everybody around you, especially your fellow medics.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Archer

Post by Archer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:13 am

John von Neumann wrote:
Mastermind1011 wrote:
And of course, we should also definitely do the default overheal trial to see what actually happens.

When I play medic, I prioritize my ubercharge above all else. It also happens that I don't die nearly as much in TF4 as in most other pubs.
Maybe this is due to 2x overheal. Maybe I just happen to play with excellent pockets. Maybe TF4 has above-average players.
I don't know why this is. Whatever the reason, I enjoy being able to frequently pull off ubers as a medic.

That is, suppose I am a medic with full health. If I were to heal someone now, I would also overheal myself at the same time.

Eviltechie wrote:Interesting idea with the self healing medics. Pocketing someone is fine, but you still need to heal everybody around you, especially your fellow medics.
Yep! Changing the weakness of a class in TF2 is a HUGE thing, as Valve has noted in the TF2 blog before. Self-overhealing is a little OP and would discourage duo medics and teamwork, both of which are already in short enough supply on tf4.
John von Neumann

Post by John von Neumann » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Archer wrote:
John von Neumann wrote:
Mastermind1011 wrote:

Eviltechie wrote:Interesting idea with the self healing medics. Pocketing someone is fine, but you still need to heal everybody around you, especially your fellow medics.
Yep! Changing the weakness of a class in TF2 is a HUGE thing, as Valve has noted in the TF2 blog before. Self-overhealing is a little OP and would discourage duo medics and teamwork, both of which are already in short enough supply on tf4.
Yeah, you guys are right. Yesterday I was able to survive just fine as a medic when there was teamwork.
Arron Dominion

Post by Arron Dominion » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Archer wrote:
Forgot to mention I do competitive TF2, primarily TF2 Highlander in the UGC League. My bad.
playcomp.tf <- If you are interested in Competitive TF2
Helpful

Post by Helpful » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:49 pm

I came back to the server after a while and noticed that I no longer had double over heal getting healed by a medic as an engineer

What happened?

There was no consensus reached and it was was of the fun unique things about the server, why is it mentioned no where that its removed?
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:32 pm

I believe it just took effect yesterday
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.