Hey, let's get rid of double overheal already.

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
John von Neumann

Re: Hey, let's get rid of double overheal already.

Post by John von Neumann » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Parasyte wrote:I've been playing a lot of soldier, demo and pyro the past few nights and haven't noticed a difference with average server pop. Didn't even notice the extra overheal was gone until someone mentioned it. When the server is full, things can still be a bit cluster-fuckish (some maps far more than others) and a little extra overheal would be beneficial.

I would still suggest keeping the extra overheal for 25+ players, but only if headshots can kill a fully overhealed heavy. If backstabs can kill regardless of overheal, headshots should as well.
Parasyte, I agree with your suggestion. Playing as a medic lately, I have been less effective at keeping my whole team alive.

That said, I also suggest alternatively having 2x ubercharge rate (for all mediguns) when there are 25+ players. Wreckless pushing would still be punished, while stalemates would become less common as well.
scobywhru wrote:Where is the 4x overheal that everyone wanted clearly admins don't read the thread well.
Scooby, I too would like to try 4x overheal. It would be interesting during silly Sundays.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:56 pm

so right now it's normal overhealing (to 150%), but slower decay?
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:00 pm

dmitri ravinoff wrote:so right now it's normal overhealing (to 150%), but slower decay?
Correct.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Helpful

Post by Helpful » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:50 am

John von Neumann wrote: Parasyte, I agree with your suggestion. Playing as a medic lately, I have been less effective at keeping my whole team alive.
One of the problems with this change is that medics now have nothing to make up for the nerfs from friendly fire, higher player counts and custom maps. Teammate tap damage screws up the heal ramp, higher players leads to more damage on more people with less resources to deal with them and custom maps have a tendency to have open areas that let medics get rocket bombed really easily.

Its also really shittastic for Kunai spies and projack pyros.

Considering the person(s) who made this change are unwilling to talk, is it still possible to revert these changes or make new ones?
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:27 pm

Helpful wrote:
John von Neumann wrote: Parasyte, I agree with your suggestion. Playing as a medic lately, I have been less effective at keeping my whole team alive.
One of the problems with this change is that medics now have nothing to make up for the nerfs from friendly fire, higher player counts and custom maps. Teammate tap damage screws up the heal ramp, higher players leads to more damage on more people with less resources to deal with them and custom maps have a tendency to have open areas that let medics get rocket bombed really easily.

Its also really shittastic for Kunai spies and projack pyros.

Considering the person(s) who made this change are unwilling to talk, is it still possible to revert these changes or make new ones?
What

So because friendly fire can occasionally fuck up your gameplay (which is true for every class in every situation), here specifically screwing with the Medic mechanic of healing ramp up, we should change an entirely separate mechanic to compensate?

You're complaining that a single medic can't take care his whole team since there could be more than twelve? Why should he be able to? Why not have one of the extra players go medic? Why change overheal? The applicable mechanics here are heal rate and heal decay anyways, one of which the server already has buffed.

Also, how does bad map design on SOME maps warrant changing a core class mechanic that is in effect on ALL maps?

Just why should the medic be more effective than he is at default at keeping people alive? Especially when you want to achieve it by implementing a mechanic that Valve itself has repeatedly played with throughout the game's lifespan and rejected every time.
Helpful

Post by Helpful » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Edit: cant get spaces to condense this, sorry for the big'ol wall of text
here specifically screwing with the Medic mechanic of healing ramp up, we should change an entirely separate mechanic to compensate?
or another one? Its not like I'm specifically saying that the only way to fix this problem is by changing overheal
But until there is another change, over heal works fine for fixing the problem and is better than having no solution at all.
You're complaining that a single medic can't take care his whole team since there could be more than twelve?
I dont know where your getting that from, the quote by John von Neumann maybe? I talked about how medics have a harder time healing on this server than they would on a valve or vanilla server.
Why should he be able to?
Because the job of the medic is to keep his teammates alive? I dont understand the objection to this
do you think by team that people are referring to a medic being able to keep 23 other plays alive simultaneously?
I think what most people mean by team is the 6-8 players around the medic near points and such, at least that's what I mean by it
Why change overheal? The applicable mechanics here are heal rate and heal decay anyways, one of which the server already has buffed.
So you want another way to balance medic? Okay. In the meantime though, medics are underpowered and people are less inclined to play the class that facilitates team play, coordination and fun, morso than any other.

We have something that has worked and its been suddenly removed, it should be put back, until some other concept is fleshed out and tested.
why should the medic be more effective than he is at default at keeping people alive?
because hes worse at keeping people alive on this server then he is at default, so making changes that increase the usefulness of the medic to normal keeps the class from being gimped and unfun.
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Okay you literally didn't address anything. You say medics are disadvantaged on this server compared to vanilla. The only reasoning you have given for this is that, in addition to enemies, friendly fire gives your teammates additional chances to screw up. That isn't a medic nerf. That's an everything nerf, particularly affecting offense more than defense but that's another topic. Yes it makes it harder to be a medic. It makes it harder for everybody, in particular the soldier, demo, and heavy, because it requires a higher level of coordination between the team. If you can't keep everybody alive because your team is acting like a bunch of idiots, well, that's kind of the point.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:50 pm

I just want to keep giving mastermind positive encouragement. I thought you did a great job addressing his complaints. It's like you are saying what I'm thinking! Keep up the good work.
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:17 pm

I just realized that I can no longer consistently pull off sudden death melee standoffs with the powerjack pyro. :sadteach:
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:00 pm

as a medic, losing the super overheal makes me really sad... but I agree that it kinda had to be done. rip in peace
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:52 am

I just wish to point out that earlier today I set overheal to 6000% and it was glorious.
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:33 am

Do that on silly sunday only else it would be to OP with very little players on the server