Another new bot/spam variant.

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
SuperPotato

Another new bot/spam variant.

Post by SuperPotato » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi all; for my first post here might as well post something useful.

Recently, I've had lots of bots add me (10-20), and most seem to be run by the same person/organization.

They usually say things like
Hello mate. My friend in fb ask me add you. He want to talking with you, but he can't add you, have an error...
Then comes the obligatory (fake) Steam community page, usually a minor misspelling like "commnunity" or "commumety".

Another variant is tells you to click some link or copy it to your browser, but those are pretty easy to spot - however, the link (and domain) changes nearly every time.

This shouldn't be a problem for most people, but I've decided to accept every friend request I get from the bots and report them with every message in hopes of preventing other people from getting hijacked. I'm not sure if someone specific is leading the bots to me on my friends list, or if there's just a resurgence in activity. Also, most of the bots I've seen seem to be 5 years old (the account was created in 2009) for whatever reason.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Re: Another new bot/spam variant.

Post by mbaxter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:31 pm

The ones adding you are probably more targeted, generally at an unusual.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Building off of bax, if your inventory is public you are more prone to getting these kind of invites, I would suggest changing that setting.
Last edited by A Ninja on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:10 pm

I had a pretty hilarious one left on my profile page earlier this week.

"Hey,sorry for trouble you. I unbox my first unusual,but i noob in tf2,and i need your help.Check please screenshot,it good or bad unusual?and maybe you know price? i could trade with you?
{LINK REMOVED - Please don't spam, and be wary of scams.}"

To which I responded with:

"I'll definitely check it out for you just add me at {LINK REMOVED - Please don't spam, and be wary of scams.}!"

How odd. :|
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:17 pm

I can't remember the last time I got one of those messages, then again I don't think I have a ton of Steam friends compared to a lot of you. Who wants to be my 69th friend?
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:58 am

I get like one random add a week. just don't accept random adds, for fuck's sake
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
prolix

Post by prolix » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:55 am

If they have a steam rating of 5 or less it's pretty certain to be a spam bot/new spam account.

99% of spam msg's I get are from people with a steam rating/level of 0. It shows their steam rating on the accept friends page.
Roughjericho

Post by Roughjericho » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:52 am

dmitri ravinoff wrote:just don't accept random adds, for fuck's sake
Seriously, just don't.