Sven Co-op v5.0 Progress News

Portal, Left 4 Dead, Half Life. All those good games.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Sven Co-op v5.0 Progress News

Post by A Ninja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:49 pm

The release of Sven Co-op v5.0 is slowly coming together and the team released some info and a changelog last month. Prepare for a butt-ton of information because I just have to share how goddamn excited I am.

http://www.svencoop.com/changelog_5.0_p ... 140926.php

Here's the notable features
  • -Sven Co-op is now its' own independent game distributed on Steam, free of charge.
    --Includes 3 packages: A game package for players, a tool package for dedicated server operators, and an SDK package for content developers.
    --Includes use of the Steam game hub platform and community features. (workshop functionality to be included in a future release)
    -Sven Co-op now uses a customized GoldSrc engine under licence from Valve.
    --Gives us the opportunity to improve upon common limitations in the GoldSrc engine.
    --Maps can now be up to ~1000x larger! (131,072 units away from zero instead of just 4,096)
    --Mappers: See the engine changes section for more details and technical information.
    -New scripting engine using AngelScript:
    --New entity: trigger_script
    --A map script can be loaded by specifying a file in the map's configuration using key map_script.
    --Scripts can be triggered one off or periodically (thinking).
    --Alternative script files can be used, and shared across maps.
    --Store persistent data reliably with SQLite back-end storage.
    --Entire server modifications can be designed, along with SQLite and MySQL storage for server-specific scripts.
    --Watch out in future change logs as many more updates will come with this!
    -New inventory system by using the new entity item_inventory, which is an item that a player holds on to for trigger rules and/or side-effects. Some example possibilities:
    --A key item must be carried by a player to a locked door, rather than it instantly becoming unlocked for rushers to wait by.
    --A bomb defuse kit has to be brought to a bomb to defuse it, or it explodes and you all die.
    --A gas mask can protect a player from nerve gas, but only lasts 2 minutes.
    --Did someone say Capture the Flag??
    -New models for all weapon pick-ups and third person view models to match the high quality first person models.
    -New preliminary A.I. pathing entities for better control on where NPC's move around a map.
    -Player weapons/ammunition can now be carried across map changes. (if a map wants to do this)
So going past the fact that Sven is going to be released on steam for free, breathing tons of new life into it, and the fact that the team got the license from valve to use the GoldSrc engine, you may ask what is so special about AngelScript. Well this is what it would allow mappers to do
Map Scripting

Angelscript will allow mappers to change almost every aspect of the game. It's possible to create game entities, implement new styles of gameplay, trigger events, process and control NPCs, and much more. Each map will have the potential to be a "mod within a mod" allowing for the ultimate level of customization.

Server Plugins

In v5.0, we will be bundling our own server administration toolset. A set of official plugins will be provided, but you can write your own using Angelscript. If you've ever used AdminMod or AMX Mod X, the transition should be pretty easy to follow. While it will be experimental at launch, we will eventually be recommending Server Administrators switch over to this new toolset as we stabilize on functionality and features. Sven Co-op's server administration toolset will have more integration points with the game, which should allow for the creation of more interesting and useful plugins.
Sounds like it opens up a ton of possibilities with what you can do when making a map, which leads me to the other fun things they added regarding NPCs, like scaling! Now you can have a gnome or a gargantua the size of a headcrab, hiding in a vent. Or perhaps you'd instead like to have stukabats the size of apaches?

And finally, the team has changed game entities to allow customized damage values for each NPC or weapon, which allows for things like
-Attack waves / tower defense (difficulty increases each wave)
-Boss monsters
-Class based weapons – Players of a certain class might spawn with the same weapon as their team mate, but have a higher degree of accuracy and/or damage.
-Tech trees - Individual players can research upgrades that increase or decrease damage and health.

So yea, I'm pretty damn excited for the release of this. In the mean time it looks like I need to relearn how to map for Half Life.
Last edited by A Ninja on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Re: Sven Co-op v5.0 Progress News

Post by loafozard » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:57 pm

So should i go ahead and delete my sven coop data and download the steam version?
Sirc001 wrote:Another player along with myself known as loaf of bread or something
Archer wrote:uWu chat daddy
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:00 pm

It isn't out yet
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Oh and this one is for Nipper
Ok, since we delayed the update a bit too long, here's a small one: i implemented CS's func_vehicle using script code.
Maha

Post by Maha » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Will totally contribute to keep a server running.

I want this in my life ASAP.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:41 pm

A Ninja wrote:Oh and this one is for Nipper
Ok, since we delayed the update a bit too long, here's a small one: i implemented CS's func_vehicle using script code.
Oh my fucking god.

My fucking god.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Chaos Wake wrote:
Oh my fucking god.

My fucking god.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:36 pm

HOLY SHIT!
I've always said that SvenCoop was one of the best games to make custom maps for because of the insane amount of toys they give mappers to play with and I see years later this still stands.

If only other game developers would get the hint.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Exactly, I can't understate how excited I am for this release. Also, I should have highlighted this in the main post, because it also opens so many doors for what you can fit into a map.
Maps can now be up to ~1000x larger! (131,072 units away from zero instead of just 4,096)
All of these new toys for mappers, with the exponentially increased capacity to handle them, combined with an increase in players/interest as a F2P game on steam, its just so wonderful
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:13 pm

A Ninja wrote:
Maps can now be up to ~1000x larger! (131,072 units away from zero instead of just 4,096)
Whaaat
A Ninja wrote:And finally, the team has changed game entities to allow customized damage values for each NPC or weapon, which allows for things like
-Boss monsters
Whaaaaaaaaat

I was thinking about this last night ... companies do not promote this type of heavy customization because nobody would ever buy a new game again. I feel like they're suppressing custom content so they can sell more titles. Maybe it's just me.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Well yeah money ruins everything it touches
Roughjericho

Post by Roughjericho » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:14 pm

so hyped, can't wait to play this with everyone
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:33 am

KoD wrote:
A Ninja wrote:
Whaaat
A Ninja wrote:And finally, the team has changed game entities to allow customized damage values for each NPC or weapon, which allows for things like
-Boss monsters
Whaaaaaaaaat

I was thinking about this last night ... companies do not promote this type of heavy customization because nobody would ever buy a new game again. I feel like they're suppressing custom content so they can sell more titles. Maybe it's just me.
I dont know if I can even comprehend the level of size a map like that would have. That has to be at least Battlefield 2 level map sizes. Imagine that with func_vehicle..... imagine playing that with customizable entities. Imagine playing that with the counter-life type merging the Sven Coop dev in the other thread described.
mr.solokiller wrote:Oh, i didn't see that. Thanks for bringing the news over here.
I've always been a fan of NIPPER maps, so i made sure to make func_vehicle be true to its CS version, but you can fix the collision detection if you want. If i can find the time i might also add support for spawn entities other than info_player_deathmatch to make porting CS maps easier. In the long run custom weapons will make it theoretically possible to replicate CS entirely within Sven Co-op, so NIPPER maps should be able run almost unmodified inside Sven Co-op.
I need this shit. We need this shit. Dear god imagine all the possibilities of both revitalization of old times and the potential to also create entirely new experiences and how that would merge together. I know I'd be personally willing to help fund at least the first month of a server that would run that shit.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Someone also posted a cool demonstration of a Portal remake (to an extent) in 4.8
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Already told you on Steam chat, but thats badass.

Better yet, my GF who has played no other Source game but Portal thought it was badass too. I think Sven Coop is showing its potential to appeal to a mass(albeit casual) audience.