Sven Co-op Map Test 11/16

Portal, Left 4 Dead, Half Life. All those good games.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Re: Sven Co-op Map Test 11/16

Post by Chaos Wake » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Jesus Christ, Sven Coop server. Lets make this happen. What I played was incredible and definitely the type of thing that would entertain a big playerbase.

I say this despite my connection making it almost impossible for me to play.

prolix

Post by prolix » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:46 pm

I've already got 4.8 Sven installed on our servers. It wouldn't take much but a single command to fire it back up if we want it.

The map we played last night was pretty damn good, reminded me a lot of TFC but with more op classes ;)
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Awesome. It would be nice to have it running full time eventually though. Maybe we can run more playtests and SC nights and see how that goes.

Also hell yeah on the map, I didn't even know such a thing was possible in Sven Coop. It kind of changes my perspective on the game, if thats possible then I can't imagine what else is. My main experience with Sven Coop was walkthrough maps and puzzle maps created in maybe 2003-5. I can't believe most servers and communities aren't realizing Sven Coop to its full potential.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:31 pm

prolix wrote:I've already got 4.8 Sven installed on our servers. It wouldn't take much but a single command to fire it back up if we want it.

The map we played last night was pretty damn good, reminded me a lot of TFC but with more op classes ;)
If you put it up full time I'd probably play on it daily, maybe bring in a few folks and such.
Chaos Wake wrote:Awesome. It would be nice to have it running full time eventually though. Maybe we can run more playtests and SC nights and see how that goes.

Also hell yeah on the map, I didn't even know such a thing was possible in Sven Coop. It kind of changes my perspective on the game, if thats possible then I can't imagine what else is. My main experience with Sven Coop was walkthrough maps and puzzle maps created in maybe 2003-5. I can't believe most servers and communities aren't realizing Sven Coop to its full potential.
There aren't many left nowadays sadly, although Misfire's server has the original HL deathmatch maps set up so you can do pvp, which is pretty fun.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:04 pm

A Ninja wrote: There aren't many left nowadays sadly, although Misfire's server has the original HL deathmatch maps set up so you can do pvp, which is pretty fun.
Hahaha that sounds great.

But damn I guess that means we'd basically become the defacto gaming community of Sven Coop. That's not bad, it would sure as hell help bring in support when Sven 5.0 comes out.

Would also mean we could essentially establish new norms in the Sven world, like Tuesday's incredible innovations and playing maps that are actually from this decade hahaha. I think a lot of mappers and devs out there would be happy about their work finally having a chance to be played by a mass audience. Especially in a consistent space like a server community where they can also meet other known and new mappers from our own world.

Solokiller for example seems pretty dead set on revitalizing NIPPER maps, I'm sure he'd love to actually be able to see some of it in action with the support of our community.
Last edited by Chaos Wake on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Chaos Wake wrote:
A Ninja wrote: There aren't many left nowadays sadly, although Misfire's server has the original HL deathmatch maps set up so you can do pvp, which is pretty fun.
Hahaha that sounds great.

But damn I guess that means we'd basically become the defacto gaming community of Sven Coop. That's not bad, it would sure as hell help bring in support when Sven 5.0 comes out.

Would also mean we could essentially establish new norms in the Sven world, like Tuesday's incredible innovations and playing maps that are actually from this decade hahaha. I think a lot of mappers and devs out there would be happy about their work finally having a chance to be played by a mass audience.
I'd hardly say we're the only, there are still some servers with playerbases that are larger in number and more frequent that our occasional get togethers, but I'd love to change that.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Oh yeah, I know. Just I get the impression most of them don't have the history or infrastructure(can you call a forums and server network that?) that we do. The most established recent community I think I recently found was an Afraid of Monsters server lead by a dude I used to know forever ago. I don't think they have what we have though.

Would be interesting to see what we can accomplish in that space knowing we've already done so much in the past with Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:14 pm

Wish I coulda made it, was swamped with school work :(
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Chaos Wake wrote:Oh yeah, I know. Just I get the impression most of them don't have the history or infrastructure(can you call a forums and server network that?) that we do. The most established recent community I think I recently found was an Afraid of Monsters server lead by a dude I used to know forever ago. I don't think they had what we had though.
Cocyx the Skeleton had a server going with the AoM Director's Cut map series going 24/7, it was a ton of fun to play with folks. Sadly, it seems he got banned from the Sven Co-op forums and took it down, and the files haven't been released for public redistribution.

The Snark Cafe used to be a thriving community, but now it seems their forums are gone and their server is essentially broken, which is a shame.

Other than that, the servers that consistently have players all have XP mod on them, with a good amount in Europe. Misfire's server is really the last server that consistently has people playing on it.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Shit. I guess I should have checked more recently. I wonder what that dude did to get banned, but im not surprised considering I remember him being kind of an asshole.

I also remember Snark's Cafe, that was a pretty decent server. I played there a lot as a young teenager. I think their community helped foster a lot of new development but that was a little under 10 years ago and I don't think most of them moved past walkthrough and puzzle maps.

Its honestly about time someone like us showed up then hahaha.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:18 am

I think it would be cool to get an actual list going of people that have Half Life/Sven and would be down to play so I don't need to double check my friends list each time
Maha

Post by Maha » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Oh wow, the Snark Cafe forums really are gone. Must have been kinda recent as I remember checking them out a few months ago I think, they were pretty dead though. I played on the server pretty much exclusively when Sven was super popular, pretty sure I still have all my hours saved on the server if it's still there, though I think SnarkServ is probably broken by now.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:26 pm

A Ninja wrote:I think it would be cool to get an actual list going of people that have Half Life/Sven and would be down to play so I don't need to double check my friends list each time
Definitely, that would also help gauge what type of maps and games modes we'd want to begin with.
Maha wrote:Oh wow, the Snark Cafe forums really are gone. Must have been kinda recent as I remember checking them out a few months ago I think, they were pretty dead though. I played on the server pretty much exclusively when Sven was super popular, pretty sure I still have all my hours saved on the server if it's still there, though I think SnarkServ is probably broken by now.
I never knew they even had forums, or if I did I must have never given them much attention. I think I spent more time at Peanys Cafe being a ridiculous child. What's interesting is you can still see Peany and some other old Snark people log on to STEAM. I used to have Peany on my friend's list but took her off because its kind of awkward knowing someone as a 12-13 year old and then being mutal steam friends with them again as a 22 year old.
Maha

Post by Maha » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Chaos Wake wrote:
A Ninja wrote:I think it would be cool to get an actual list going of people that have Half Life/Sven and would be down to play so I don't need to double check my friends list each time
Definitely, that would also help gauge what type of maps and games modes we'd want to begin with.
Maha wrote:Oh wow, the Snark Cafe forums really are gone. Must have been kinda recent as I remember checking them out a few months ago I think, they were pretty dead though. I played on the server pretty much exclusively when Sven was super popular, pretty sure I still have all my hours saved on the server if it's still there, though I think SnarkServ is probably broken by now.
I never knew they even had forums, or if I did I must have never given them much attention. I think I spent more time at Peanys Cafe being a ridiculous child. What's interesting is you can still see Peany and some other old Snark people log on to STEAM. I used to have Peany on my friend's list but took her off because its kind of awkward knowing someone as a 12-13 year old and then being mutal steam friends with them again as a 22 year old.
I don't think I ever made friends with anyone on the server. Like you, I was just some kid that hung around a lot at the time. :P

Good ol' days of jump maps with SavMe and PosMe commands.
Tuesday's Avenger

Post by Tuesday's Avenger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 am

Chaos Wake wrote:as a 22 year old
ENTIRE TEAM IS BABIES

Also, I've added more stuff to the map; is there any interest in setting up another test?