HL3

Portal, Left 4 Dead, Half Life. All those good games.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

HL3

Post by KoD » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Some rumours are floating around about shitstorm of hatred (SSoH) teasers, we can discuss here and I'll move the thread to news and current events subforum if more details/confirmations develop.

https://github.com/SteamDatabase/GameTr ... gd/hl3.txt
(alt: https://github.com/SteamDatabase/GameTr ... eeb7038595 )

"These files strongly hint at an RPG with quests and procedural spawning. Also includes ziplines"
There are some interesting entities listed.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Re: HL3

Post by MrBlip » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:57 pm

a lot of the rpg labeled entities sounds like creep unit behavior in dota 2.

I'm guessing a lot of this is just source 2 engine wide entity stuff with some things specific to potentially hl3 or whatever else they might be working on. Possibly future update stuff for dota 2 (or engine wide) to allow more RPGish stuff to be built on their engine, but they labeled hl3 for some reason.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Re: Shitstorm of Hatred

Post by KoD » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Alright then nothing to see here folks
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Re: Shitstorm of Hatred

Post by Django » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:01 pm

seriously misleading thread title

I almost got excited
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm

There's some neat stuff in there. Not much, but a little mention of combine stuff.

Good times.
bh :)

Post by bh :) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:20 am

13 day bump but given old news about hl3 back in 2012, this might be a possibility

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... n-world%2F

bar odd translations:

"This person close to Valve has confirmed that the development of Half-Life 3 is well under way, although there is a lot of work. According to her, Half-Life 3 would still be very oriented FPS action, but with many RPG elements: open-world, quests and NPCs will be waiting for you! One of the inspirations developers would also be the series of Elder Scrolls (Skyrim, Oblivion). This is a very unexpected direction from Valve that has accustomed us to more linear games but still excellent.

Not surprisingly, we learned that development is very chaotic. The project was revived several times mainly because of total redesigns of its gameplay. Half-Life 3 has almost been a pure shooter, then an SPF more focused on the exploration or puzzles, a new turnaround is not excluded."

it definitely sounds plausible, even more odd is the fact that the release of these files were on Oct9, 2015. One day before the 8 year anniversary of HL2EP2. Obviously grasping at straws but I don't find it odd believing that Valve is beginning to hint at stuff soon. They never were huge on marketing and what better way to build market hype than to subtlety suggest things in code? It doubles up easily as they can begin trending on gaming news without revealing massive portions of the game. Valve likes to ARG their playerbase as well... Who's to say the ARG hasn't already begun?
Bao

Post by Bao » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Everything I've heard from ValveTime and the much less credible Valve News Network basically points to them still working on it but very gradually.

Speculation is that they don't really need a HL3 to make money anymore and are therefore waiting for the exact right moment (possibly once the effects of VR on the market are clear, though HL3 prob wont be VR oriented) to release anything of that sort.

That's mostly just based on the fact that Valve makes a ton of money but has always wanted to have the prestige that comes from always being an innovator, meaning they might only release a HL3 when they know for sure its as innovative as Half Life 1 and 2 were.

My horrible completely speculative guess that I know is probably wrong:

Half Life 3 will be announced(probably not released) by Valve 1.5 to 2.5 years after the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and Project Morpheus has been released.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:19 pm

if HL3 is VR i dont know how ill feel.
either rly pissed or so excited my balls empty
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Bao

Post by Bao » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Ian7 wrote:if HL3 is VR i dont know how ill feel.
either rly pissed or so excited my balls empty
I think they said any Half Life game they make wont be VR exclusive or even VR oriented, just be capable of running on VR.

Also I feel like at this point there's no way I'd be disappointed with VR anything from Valve unless it was VR exclusive, and only because of the money cost (HMD + Comp capable of running it).

I'm really not on that anti-VR "real gamer" bandwagon.
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:00 pm

everytime people talk about half life 3 is like the most delusional shit ever
hlf3 enthusiast are starting to look like a 19 century millenial doomsday cult.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Bao wrote: That's mostly just based on the fact that Valve makes a ton of money but has always wanted to have the prestige that comes from always being an innovator, meaning they might only release a HL3 when they know for sure its as innovative as Half Life 1 and 2 were.
This is the most logical way of thinking about it. When valve has a revolutionary technology or something that hasn't been done before, they'll release HL3 as the flagship for that technology because they know it would get put to use.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:42 pm

logic>technology>revolution>salvation (only valve can pull a hl3)= delusion
Bao

Post by Bao » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:56 pm

we are the sons of freeman
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:54 pm

I think valve is just trying to figure out what to do with their make-it-up-as-we-go story that is the half-life series. They've probably run out of NPCs from the first game that they can pretend were named characters the whole time.
Bao

Post by Bao » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:09 pm

I think someone from reddit emailed Valve's writer Marc Laidlaw.