Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Post anything about books, comics, journalism, and the shittiness of Ayn Rand here.
CaptainTripps

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Post by CaptainTripps » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 pm

This is a series of books, came out in the 90's, marketed to kids. Just saw something on i09 that featured one of the tales and some illustrations, completely brought it all back for me. These were great to read but it's the images from the books that have lasted all this time, the artists distinctive and detailed drawings are just, they bring the real terror, especially for a 10 year old.

Here's an example of what I mean, and whatever your age, if you haven't, pick up a set to read and admire before giving it away to whatever youngin you want to scar for life.

When it got hot in the valley, Thomas and Alfred drove their cows up to a cool, green pasture in the mountains to graze. Usually they stayed there with the cows for two months. Then they brought them down to the valley again. The work was easy enough, but, oh, it was boring. All day the two men tended their cows. At night they went back to the tiny hut where they lived. They ate supper and worked in the garden and went to sleep. It was always the same.

Then Thomas had an idea that changed everything. "Let's make a doll the size of a man." he said. "It would be fun to make, and we could put it in the garden to scare the birds."

"It should look like Harold," Alfred said. Harold was a farmer they both hated. They made a doll out of old sacks stuffed with straw. They gave it a pointy nose like Harold's and tiny eyes like his. Then they added dark hair and a twisted frown. Of course they also gave it Harold's name.

Each morning on their way to the pasture, they tied Harold to a pole in the garden to scare away the birds. Each night they brought him inside so that he wouldn't get ruined if it rained.

When they were feeling playful, they would talk to him. One of them might say, "How are the vegetables growing today, Harold?" Then the other, making believe he was Harold, would answer in a crazy voice, "Very slowly." They both would laugh, but not Harold.

Whenever something went wrong, they took it out on Harold. They would curse at him, even kick or punch him. Sometimes one of them would take the food they were eating (which they both were sick of) and smear it on the doll's face. "How do you like that stew, Harold?" he would ask. "Well, you better eat it - or else." Then the two men would howl with laughter.

One night, after Thomas had wiped Harold's face with food, Harold grunted. "Did you hear that?" Alfred asked.

"It was Harold," Thomas said. "I was watching him when it happened. I can't believe it."

"How could he grunt?" Alfred asked, "He's just a sack of straw. It's not possible."

"Let's throw him in the fire," Thomas said, "and that will be that."

"Let's not do anything stupid," said Alfred. "We don't know what's going on. When we move the cows down, we'll leave him behind. For now, let's just keep an eye on him."

So they left Harold sitting in the corner of the hut. They didn't talk to him or take him outside anymore. Now and then the doll grunted, but that was all. After a few days, they decided there was nothing to be afraid of. Maybe a mouse or some insects had gotten inside Harold and were making those sounds.

So Thomas and Alfred went back to their old ways. Each morning they put Harold out in the garden, and each night they brought him back into the hut. When they felt playful, they joked with him. When they felt mean, they treated him as badly as ever.

Then one night Alfred noticed something that frightened him. "Harold is growing," he said.

"I was thinking the same thing." Thomas said.

"Maybe it's just our imagination," Alfred replied. "We have been up here on this mountain for too long."

The Next morning, while they were eating, Harold stood up and walked out of the hut. He climbed up on the roof and trotted back and forth, like a horse on its hind legs. All day and all night, he trotted like that. In the morning Harold climbed down and stood in a far corner of the pasture. The men had no idea what he would do next. They were afraid.

They decided to take the cows down into the valley that same day. When they left, Harold was nowhere in sight. They felt as if they had escaped a great danger and began joking and singing. But when they had gone only a mile or two, they realized they had forgotten to bring the milking stools.

Neither one wanted to go back for them, but the stools would cost a lot to replace. "There really is nothing to be afraid of," they told one another. "After all, what could a doll do?"

They drew straws to see which one would go back. It was Thomas. "I'll catch up with you." he said, and Alfred walked toward the valley.

When Alfred came to a rise in the path, he looked back for Thomas. He did not see him anywhere. But he did see Harold. The doll was on the roof of the hut again. As Alfred watched, Harold kneeled and stretched out a bloody skin to dry in the sun.
Some other examples of the illustrations

We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
Bogey

Re: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Post by Bogey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:52 pm

I LOVED those books when I was a kid!
Harold was always my favorite story.
This user has left the joe.to community. His posts are retained in memoriam.
Jason
TODAY IS WEDNESDAY
<font color=#a8fa47><b>TODAY IS WEDNESDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:19 pm

YUUUUUUUUUP.

That second to last image you posted was a source of many nightmares as a child, but damn I loved those books so much. Ugh I wish I still had them. I used to have the first one and some close family member had 2 and 3 and I always read them when we were over there.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:29 pm

FUCK I HATED THESEEEEE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm

oh my god, i remember these. ;_;
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:38 pm

I remember the story, but I don't know where I heard/read it before.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:47 pm

I remember those too... the pictures scared the crap outta me... I remember the girl who got trapped in the closet that illustration was disturbing too.
SurNim wrote:SPREAD THE LOVE! OR DIE!
Public Mass Arrests > Suppressed Technologies Released > Finally ET Disclosure
Why.j2 wrote:Keep Try.
PhogOlog

Post by PhogOlog » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Used to scare me; the illustrations did so more than the stories though.
Hellboy wrote:I only get off on the tears of children posting on the internet, sorry.
joe wrote: you don't know shit about hydrogeology bitch
joe wrote:my avg fart 2.3 seconds
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:53 pm

PhogOlog wrote:Used to scare me; the illustrations did so more than the stories though.
pretty much. those fuckers were true nightmare fuel.
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
OddaJosh
I'm Tripping Out

Post by OddaJosh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm

fuck these pictures used to give me nightmares
Grndslmhttr3 wrote:I don't know how you did it but I think you managed to become the worst poster on these forums
Platty wrote:But, yeah, have a fedora, too.
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Post by Hooplah » Fri May 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Oh god, Harold the scarecrow, I always thought the freakiest part of that story was when the guy who left the house looked back and saw Harold on the roof. I also remember the one where the girl got bit by a spider and it layer eggs in her face.
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:32 pm

i just remember the spider one and the one about the dudes toe.

that one always cracked me up
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Post by Hooplah » Fri May 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Pentagram.J2 wrote:i just remember the spider one and the one about the dudes toe.

that one always cracked me up
I think we're all in agreement that these stories were the shit.
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
Bradley98

Post by Bradley98 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:11 pm

GOOD GOD they hve these at my library at school

they are disturbing but the most disturbing one was were this girl was babysitiing 2 kids and it was late, the kids had fallen asleep and she was watching tv when all of the sudden the phone rang, she picked it u and a eerie voice said "im coming soon" thinking it was just some prank callers she just hung up and didnt think more of it. then the phone rang again and same as last time it was the eerir voice saying "im coming in half an hour" now the girl was getting creeped out, she hung up and was acting very scared then the phoe rang again and she answered it and the voice said "im coming in 5 minutes...SEE YOU THEN" so now the girl is absolutelyterrified and she tries tracing the call to where it was coming from and it said it was coming from upstiars. Terrified she tried calling the polic only to see the phone went strangely dead

when the parents of the kids got home, the kids were lying across the ground along with there baby sister, whith all of there thoats slit.
they called the police on there cell phone (the sitter didnt have one just the home phone which was out of batteries) and the police came dpwn and took the parents to the station, the next da they went down to investigate and found all the lights out. when they turned them on they found a man wearing the baby sisters skin which he had cut off her. he attacked and the shot him, he was taken to jail where he spent the rest of his life strangely screaming "you hve the rong guy" but the police knew he had to be the guy who washiding upstiars and killed the babysitter, and the man die in jail the end

wow grandma thats the scariest story ever said the girl
yes said grandma but its only a myth. ok grandma but how do you know its not real?
because thats not what happnedd said the grandma pullig off her skin to reveil a persn the girl didn know
i actually killed one cop and took his skin while my "freind" who was in the attic wih me impersonated the other cop and we framed the cop by forcing him into a costume which we permanatly glud to him said the pyschotic freind
the girl terrified, ran but the impersonator just laughed and attacked her

thats the last encounter anyone has ever had on record with the pyscho impersanotors but you never know ..they were never found....they could be ur best freind....

damn i still have nightmares about this one and the one about the kid who wa dared to slepp the night in the accliamed haounted house and he went there and took his dog but at midnight he started hereing voices from outside and the dog started acting like a human and talking, saying weird phrases, and finally standing up and cutting the boys head off, the dog was apparently possessed
Ikri- rofl, Bradley, you are just so cute.
Neelpos-That's dumb. You're dumb .Ebon Hawk is better.
king fluffy- Not huffy or stuffy, nor tiny or tall, But fluffy, just fluffy, with no brains at all.
Relay-many souls died here.
Wolsk- Bradley98 posting on the forums was the best thing to happen to Joe2.
scobywhru- How much to beat up neelpos take pictures/video and post it on here?
koko- Chuck Norris facts. not jokes.
JessicaMarissa- No, wolsk is right, I was going to murder and eat him.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:28 am

reminds me of this movie

Dark Night of the Scarecrow
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082235/

saw this when i was in 4th grade (how old is that? 10?) and it was so fucking scary i couldn't even watch the second half.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef