Server game mode ideas!

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Re: Server game mode ideas!

Post by Jason_D_Black » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 pm

I've never been for a regular pvp base since it's too easy to steal or kill someone else. If you start with 4 guys and you get iron, but your enemy group has like 2 or 3 diamond players you're already dead. The things you build ain't going to help you survive it if they find you. This is why I'm more like a faction guy, because you need to be really good to attack a faction, but also really good to defend to one. It has more strategic possibility's then a normal pvp server. Instead of destroying blocks until you found someone, you use tnt cannons, find holes, infiltrate, use ender portal, etc. to get in someone else's base. Alliances and bonds are more easy to make since they can't steal everything you have from you.

Let's just say you make a bond with another guy to survive. However this guy says "fuck you" during pvp time/stabs you in the back and runs away with all your gear, even though this is possible in faction games to, it's a lot harder to do. Also, those who you don't trust with your gear, you can trust as ally in a faction server. That way they can't steal your gear, can't kill you, and you still form a bond against other players.

I just don't like both normal pvp and pve, but that's because those types doesn't lay in my interests. It might be a fun idea for someone else though.
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Sure, it's true that in vanilla PvP the extend of your defenses doesn't really make a difference once someone knows where you are, but if the enemies only have 10 minutes to get into your base I'm sure it would. Especially if they couldn't build anything in the area you were in until those 10 minutes began, and double-especially if you had players defending it.
The cool part about vanilla PvP though in many people's opinion is the hide-and-seek aspect. This obviously only works on a pretty small map, but it makes it so much fun. If you find someone's base and you're stealthy enough you can assassinate probably three people for every one person you have. In factions, the only things that really factor in are how many people a faction has, how rich they are and if they're online or not. In PvP vanilla those things matter but so do other things. Namely the effect that even being online has, unless your entire group has a constant supply of invisibility potions you're always at risk of having your name spotted.
PvP vanilla is much, much more close to real life than Factions. In real life there were no invisible boundaries stopping someone from waging a medieval battle, there were real boundaries. Other than the implicit boundaries in Minecraft, the only differences between PvP vanilla and real life when it comes to the things we're looking for are that you can log on or off and the population almost never exceeds 1000 on a single server.
If there was such thing as the perfect medieval war simulator in Minecraft it would feature players who were fully immersed in the Minecraft world and couldn't leave to sleep, eat, or anything (it would all be done to their unconscious mind in real life as they did it in the virtual world) and the population of the server would be at least 10,000. Also, hardcore mode for everyone at all times and the only way you can join the server is if two other players reproduce. Sure, sounds insane and like nothing close to it will ever happen, but PvP vanilla is the closest we can get to that.

Though if there was one thing that would have a huge positive impact on PvP vanilla in Minecraft it would be to make all materials take ten times as long to break. In real life you can't mine out a 3 cubic meter hole in less than 30 seconds with a simple pickax, so why should you be able to in vanilla Minecraft? If that's too slow for people to bother mining here are some solutions: Bigger, more centralized veins of ore / a separate world where these modifications aren't enforced.

Either way I prefer PvE.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 am

"Attack of the B-Team" is very popular right now.
vxi

Post by vxi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:15 pm

dillboss5 wrote:*cough* Techie. Modded. Servers. *cough*

Sorry, I coughed there, I said Techie, hows the modded idea coming along? You were open to making a modded server, so why not? Voltz is pretty good for a mc4 kinda map, where anything goes. FTB is pretty good for pretty much anything else.

I think Voltz would be good, especially as it now has the moon, it would make things much more interesting. Moon battles :P.

As for FTB anything with Thaumcraft is best used for something like MC3, because Warded stuff kinda unbalances things.
Because we had most recently used two PvP gamemodes in a row, if we did a modded server style thing I'd prefer it be PvE, which would also be much better (in my opinion) for players to experiment and get to know the new mods, if they don't know them already.
Anyway, I like anything involving EMC and EMC generation, but since the idea of having an infinite supply of items is daunting to many server admins and many players are strictly against that kind of thing I'd be happy to see anything with mods like Redpower (my favourite majorly game-changing mod).
The mod pack I've played that offers Redpower and no EMC is Mindcrack. In the end, we should potentially have a poll about what gamemode/modpack combination to do?
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:16 pm

vxi wrote:
dillboss5 wrote:*cough* Techie. Modded. Servers. *cough*

Sorry, I coughed there, I said Techie, hows the modded idea coming along? You were open to making a modded server, so why not? Voltz is pretty good for a mc4 kinda map, where anything goes. FTB is pretty good for pretty much anything else.

I think Voltz would be good, especially as it now has the moon, it would make things much more interesting. Moon battles :P.

As for FTB anything with Thaumcraft is best used for something like MC3, because Warded stuff kinda unbalances things.
Because we had most recently used two PvP gamemodes in a row, if we did a modded server style thing I'd prefer it be PvE, which would also be much better (in my opinion) for players to experiment and get to know the new mods, if they don't know them already.
Anyway, I like anything involving EMC and EMC generation, but since the idea of having an infinite supply of items is daunting to many server admins and many players are strictly against that kind of thing I'd be happy to see anything with mods like Redpower (my favourite majorly game-changing mod).
The mod pack I've played that offers Redpower and no EMC is Mindcrack. In the end, we should potentially have a poll about what gamemode/modpack combination to do?
Redpower is essentially an inactive mod, hasn't been updated in a while, there are a lot of new mods that have replaced it and are more up to date with MC
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:12 am

Well PvE allows for anything that has Thaumcraft, as the Warded stuff wont matter, and makes things a bit prettier. But I for one would really like Joe.to to have a Voltz PvP server. A good few of my friends who have never used Joe.to and I have been looking for a good Voltz server. So I at least can guarantee some new players.

But fair enough a PvE to begin with would be good, for both Admins and players, to get used to mods, and administrating mods.
vxi

Post by vxi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 pm

A Ninja wrote:Redpower is essentially an inactive mod, hasn't been updated in a while, there are a lot of new mods that have replaced it and are more up to date with MC
I despise all of the Redpower replacements I've tried, also, is there any decent mod pack containing only mods that have been recently updated?
Redpower isn't that out of date, but I'd be curious to know what issues it has when running in the latest Minecraft build.
If it's that bad I'd be willing to settle for something that isn't Redpower, but none are nearly as well thought-out and designed as it.
FM113
Scientific Engineer
<b><font color=#ff0000>Scientific Engineer</font></b>

Post by FM113 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 am

vxi wrote:
A Ninja wrote:Redpower is essentially an inactive mod, hasn't been updated in a while, there are a lot of new mods that have replaced it and are more up to date with MC
I despise all of the Redpower replacements I've tried, also, is there any decent mod pack containing only mods that have been recently updated?
Redpower isn't that out of date, but I'd be curious to know what issues it has when running in the latest Minecraft build.
If it's that bad I'd be willing to settle for something that isn't Redpower, but none are nearly as well thought-out and designed as it.
Project:Red seems to be the most popular replacement as of late. I haven't jiggled around with it too much, but it's basically the exact same thing except it's 1.6.4 (maybe newer).
kingfishy419 wrote:reece no i dont i want my shit back though i got it legit and i want it back.

No matter who you are, no matter where you are, you're welcome here.
Putting mirrors in the sun for everyone fighting on the dark side; yelling: long live diversity.
Denmark
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Yea, that is the most comprehensive one, and most modpacks also include things like MineFactory Reloaded, which has some decent redstone tech as well.

Also PvP on any of these tech mods/modpacks is a terrible idea.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.