We need more players.

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
SuitableFish
Turtle Tickler

We need more players.

Post by SuitableFish » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 pm

I have noticed, that the Minecraft community here has been lacking players. There is usually an average of 10-12 players on the spawn server and 5-6 players on the faction server. I have noticed that there aren't any "Click this link to vote up the server" type of ads going bye on the screen. Those would be good to help grow the minecraft community here at J2. We could also have some sort of thread stickied in which it shows the places you can vote up the server. Note that these are only suggestion, and I know you have to have a thread on the certain websites such as Planet Minecraft, for it to be voted up. I would like to see the server get more players, because players are very sparse here. If you have any suggestions or constructive criticism , leave it as a reply to this thread. And please try to keep this on topic. I know a lot of threads get off topic, and I know warnings have been made.
Brig
Swiggity Swoogity

Re: We need more players.

Post by Brig » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Use promotional posters!

:smug: Jamie can't handle the posters sexy
Last edited by Brig on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
GarrettRube
Shadow Stalker

Post by GarrettRube » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:43 pm

While I do agree, we do need to advertise more, it needs to be done with careful precision. I've managed 2 different servers advertised on minecraft.net and planetminecraft. Both of which got around 200 members, but only around 10 of which weren't griefers/hackers/trolls. While it would be a good idea to have ideas to increase our playerbase, I don't think a simple ad would be a good idea. We have our hands full as it is, with the amount of griefers/hackers/trolls we have already.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Common sense is a collection of prejudices acquired by the age of 18.
jamietech
Now Biodegradable

Post by jamietech » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:52 pm

If you wish to help advertise, PM mbaxter.
SuitableFish
Turtle Tickler

Post by SuitableFish » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:53 pm

brigbar96 wrote:Use promotional posters!
I'm being serious, if you don't have a positive suggestion, don't bother posting.

@Garret

I see what you mean, advertising would get a lot of trolls/griefers/etc.
Kieraan
Slightly Bonkers

Post by Kieraan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 am

There's no way to advertise and not pull in griefers at the same time. It's just something the admins would have to deal with, unfortunately.
"At any given time, the urge to sing "The lion sleeps tonight" is just a whim away. A whim away, a whim away, a whim away..."
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 am

SuitableFish wrote:I see what you mean, advertising would get a lot of trolls/griefers/etc.
Not that the Minecraft server is much of a concern to me, but aren't there a shit ton of admins watching the servers regularly? I don't think the trolls/griefers would get very far.
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
SuitableFish
Turtle Tickler

Post by SuitableFish » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:57 am

Grndslmhttr3 wrote:
SuitableFish wrote:I see what you mean, advertising would get a lot of trolls/griefers/etc.
Not that the Minecraft server is much of a concern to me, but aren't there a shit ton of admins watching the servers regularly? I don't think the trolls/griefers would get very far.
I don't see admins on that frequently. Even if there were a lot of admins always looking down on the server, advertising and getting 90% trolls and griefers isn't worth the 10% of people that we would actually gain to be part of the community.
FigTheGreat
AKA ƒiggy

Post by FigTheGreat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:40 pm

SuitableFish wrote:I have noticed, that the Minecraft community here has been lacking players. There is usually an average of 10-12 players on the spawn server and 5-6 players on the faction server.
theres less servers than before so that might be a factor
Azzza - This is the first and possibly only time I'll take fig's side, ever.
Rayray - Speaking of lagging out the server, I heard fig_man lagged MC2 until it crashed because his "pigs evolved".
asdfie - Muahahahaha, take that figgy :awesome:
Rayray - Fig's Really Unimportant Information Threads
Dyl - "Take the red pill", they said. "You'll see things craftie was not meant to see", they said.
j2server_mc2: <asdfie> Damn you, figgius
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Some one make a youtube video.
The Crafties.
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
RideTheWalrus
Butts.
<font color=#FF80BF><b><i>Butts.</i></b></font>

Post by RideTheWalrus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:18 pm

tehENEMY wrote:Some one make a youtube video.
The Crafties.
:afro:
GarrettRube
Shadow Stalker

Post by GarrettRube » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Grndslmhttr3 wrote:
I'm not as concerned about the griefers and trolls as I would be the hackers. Logblock takes care of any grief and chat logs are used for trolls. Hackers on the other hand can do a bit more damage. (Ddos, for example) We had our servers down, on and off, for about a week last time and that tends to push more players away than bring them in. And that only takes one person.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Common sense is a collection of prejudices acquired by the age of 18.
Kieraan
Slightly Bonkers

Post by Kieraan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:58 pm

GarrettRube wrote:And that only takes one person.
One person with one computer would do more damage to their own local network than anything they 'targeted'.

Denial of Service attacks that are successful are a rare occurrence, you shouldn't be too worried about that.
"At any given time, the urge to sing "The lion sleeps tonight" is just a whim away. A whim away, a whim away, a whim away..."
ammaraskar

Post by ammaraskar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:05 pm

lolno, one person with money can easily fire up a successful DDoS

Ikri - About to head home now. If I'm not back in Eugene in 10 hours, it's probably because we hit a deer and the deer won, or lost, depending on how you look at the situation. Ouch.
Neelpos - If it's still alive after the collision slit its throat for messing up your car, then drink its blood to gain its power.

<+collinday> gamesurge is obviously highly unstable... like windows ME
<@benderj2> collinday: YOUR MOM is obviously highly unstable... like windows ME
Kieraan
Slightly Bonkers

Post by Kieraan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:08 pm

ammaraskar wrote:lolno, one person with money can easily fire up a successful DDoS
I said with one computer :P

Obviously someone could rent a botnet, but that's pretty rare too, imo.