Staff member for dummies

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Staff member for dummies

Post by Jason_D_Black » Thu May 30, 2013 4:50 am

I've made this a few days ago, Maybe joe can use it as an application rule. Like, read this
Before you apply for staff member. I already know of a server who does it :p :

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/182 ... r-dummies/
Azzza
bringin' in the bitches

Re: Staff member for dummies

Post by Azzza » Thu May 30, 2013 8:29 am

Jason_D_Black wrote:Maybe joe can use it as an application rule.
One, joe left over a year ago.

Two, there are procedures for hiring here too that are similar to that. I wouldn't mind betting that almost all good servers do the same thing.
ಠ_ರೃ
Website
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 am

I didn't read any of it (tl;dr), but I assume it's all really straightforward and predictable.
When admins are hired on J2, they don't just hire random people and keep them if they're good admins (alright, they do trial admins, but that's not the same. Those people still aren't just accepted for making an application).
If you need to read a manual on how to be a good admin, chances are you won't be a very good admin. That being said, reading what people think about the dos and don'ts couldn't hurt.
But, like I said, the staff are very selective about who they hire. Also, it's not like we need more admins, and if we do, not many. The servers aren't exactly 'overflowing' with people to moderate. There is probably no need for this at all.
I'll read it for real now, and if any of my opinions change I'll edit this post/post again.

EDIT:
Alright, it was pretty much what I expected it to be. The only thing that made me want to add something was the bit about communicating great with your players or being great friends with them. Being an admin is being an admin, if you can't ban your best friend when you would have banned someone else for doing the same thing, you should not be an admin. Seriously. I'm not saying you're a bad person if this situation arises, but if it does, you should realize it quickly and resign your adminship because you're not fit to be an admin.

Anyway, this is a pretty straightforward guide to being a good admin, and even though I don't believe players should have to read this to be eligible for adminship, I do believe that if every player read this, attitude might be better as a whole because everyone would act like they should in order to become an admin. That being said, anyone remember that guy who hung around in Minecraft IRC all day telling people that they broke the rules and acting as if they were an admin, 'taking control' when no admins are online? Yeah, that's fucking annoying. If someone broke the rules, don't tell them about it, report them. Don't tell them you reported them, just report them. We don't want anyone acting like that, do we?
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Post by Jason_D_Black » Thu May 30, 2013 10:35 am

Yes, it is straightforward. That's why the title is has 'for dummies' in it. :p if it was for experts I might have added a lot more in it. And there are many staff members who become good friends with their players and if they then break a rule or two they wouldn't be bothered about it. They would probably say something like "He's just trolling" or stuff, I've seen this happening. And I completely agree that if you can't ban a friend for breaking the rules, you shouldn't be an admin.

And I also know how the system go's of adding a staff member here. Application send to highest staff member, most likely that would be Mbaxter, and then he'll accepts or deny's you. If you're accepted you can start as a trial admin and after a few months or weeks you can become a real admin, if you did a good job. It's like that, isn't it?

And no... I don't remember that guy :p I don't really see what it has to do with this, but yea I would hate it too if someone did that.
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Thu May 30, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. I'm pretty sure every staff member also always has a judgement going in the back of their about whether the person they're talking to is admin material or not, though most aren't

There was someone who did that (but let's just look at it as an example).
The reason I brought it up is because it's possible that people who want to become admins will read your thread, and then assume they're admin material enough that they can act like it. Like people who know all the laws, and decide to impersonate an officer, because they want to have the power of an officer and the feeling of being above others at the same time as feeling as if they're helping make the community orderly. Even though nobody actually tries to impersonate admins (it would be stupid, because it's pretty easy to tell), people still act like it, and order people around as if they do have the power to ban and kick users.
But there's no way to avoid that being a possible outcome anyway.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
marbear

Post by marbear » Thu May 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want a staff member who is a dummy.
"Marbear your too stupid...so I don't know what the fuck your thinking."
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Thu May 30, 2013 2:15 pm

marbear36 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't want a staff member who is a dummy.
It's not just you.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Thu May 30, 2013 4:25 pm

I think he meant joe.to azzza
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
prettyrose5

Post by prettyrose5 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

I started reading it then I was like, HELL I'm never gona be a mod! Why bother? If I ever am trail admin I'll have no Idea what half the commands are XD
---INSERT FUNNY SIGNATURE HERE---
RideTheWalrus
Butts.
<font color=#FF80BF><b><i>Butts.</i></b></font>

Post by RideTheWalrus » Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 pm

Trail admins... I like this idea.
marbear

Post by marbear » Fri May 31, 2013 4:50 pm

"Marbear your too stupid...so I don't know what the fuck your thinking."
Platty
Bathtub Meth Sold Here!
<font color=#BF8000>Bathtub Meth Sold Here!</font>

Post by Platty » Fri May 31, 2013 11:44 pm

mbaxter wrote:
marbear36 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't want a staff member who is a dummy.
It's not just you.
I could think of a few that have been there. Not speaking of you, of course.
OddaJosh
I'm Tripping Out

Post by OddaJosh » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:01 am

Azzza wrote:
Jason_D_Black wrote:Maybe joe can use it as an application rule.
One, joe left over a year ago.

I'm pretty sure joe is not with us anymore.
Grndslmhttr3 wrote:I don't know how you did it but I think you managed to become the worst poster on these forums
Platty wrote:But, yeah, have a fedora, too.
ripto98

Post by ripto98 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Oddajosh's pic always cracks me up.
Rapscal Lion

Post by Rapscal Lion » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 pm

I would say prolix is the highest staff member.