1.6 is Coming...

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

1.6 is Coming...

Post by vxi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Every Minecraft player probably knows that 1.6 is going to be here the following week, and there are a bunch of questions that would be nice to have the answers to;
-Are we going to keep mc3? At first, it was great, we had lots of people. It drifted off to having not so many people on, but lately there are been a decent amount of people online again. I think we would have a decent amount of people if we stayed with mc3.
If not mc3, what gametype might we see? What kind of plugins will go with whatever gametype happens to be used? It might be a good idea to take a second look at the economy, but I think most of us love the Mob Arenas. Many of us have made suggestions in the suggestions forum, and I think the admins read them, even if most of the time there's no feedback. Have you guys been working on a gametype, or will it be something we've seen before?
-The world is obviously going to be reset, but if it's mc3, are we going to keep the amount of blocks we can claim? With the update, a couple of new people may come onto the server, but I don't see any reason why the people who have lots of claim blocks should lose them. If there is a reason, I'd love to know it before we get them wiped!
Again, about the world being reset, are we going to be able to keep the world file for ourselves? This question has been asked before, and I think the answer has always been yes, but I've never gotten the save file, even after asking for it. How about this time?
-Dynmap was up right away with this world, will it be up again? It was really useful for everyone who got on right away to find where they wanted to live.
-How long is it going to take for the servers to update to the newer version? We know that it's a good amount of work to get done, especially if you haven't already started, but can we get any sort of rough estimate?
-Are there any plans for The End or the blaze spawners in The Nether? People love having End portals for themselves, but it can be a bit unfair. Maybe there can be a portal at spawn, so whoever finds the other ones can keep them? The same counts with blaze spawners.

Lots of questions are out there. Maybe none of them will get answered, maybe they will. If anyone else has questions about the upcoming update, maybe they can post those questions here. I'm sure some of us would love to see admins answer some questions, but at the same time we all know that admins have their reasons for keeping these things secret from us. Either way, thanks for reading.

EDIT:
I made an oopsie by posting this after PaulPer already asked some of these questions, but hopefully that puts emphasis on how much we'd love to know the answers! ^_^
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
PaulPer

Re: 1.6 is Coming...

Post by PaulPer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:38 pm

its ok lol

i know you and i chatted about it so i wanted to ask everyone too
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:32 pm

The only reason I'm excited for 1.6 is updated Feed the Beast. You peasants with your vanilla.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:45 pm

1.6 is coming a bit sooner than I was expecting, so I've put not much thought into it. I'll just speak from the technical side about updating for now.

The limitations on flopping the servers over to the next version are two things: The time CraftBukkit comes out, and when CraftBukkit is stable (in my mind) to run.

But mbaxter, you say, didn't we switch the server over to the next version pretty quick using some ugly hacks that broke new items? Yes, yes we did. It was a terrible hack, and I don't think I want to do it again. Takes either effort on my part or trust that someone else has done it right without breaking things (Other people's implementations of the 1.5 update on 1.4 code had huge inventory bugs, for instance). I'd rather we just be patient and wait. I /hope/ the 1.6 launcher (Which you will all have to update to anyway) will support 1.5 so it'll be easier to downgrade.

So, onto the limits:

CraftBukkit release
The Bukkit core team puts in a pile of effort to update CraftBukkit to the latest version of Minecraft. Takes quite a period of time, but with the way Mojang has lately been putting out prereleases that allows for the team to generally have something out before release. The important part is...

CraftBukkit stability
The first release can have unforeseen bugs as a result of the update's code changes. We need to wait for many of those issues, depending on what they involve, to be resolved before updating. Could be done before 1.6 drops, could be a week later.

We'll see how it goes, and it's entirely up to circumstances we can't even predict yet. :)
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Current plan server wise is to reset all maps, drop mc3, bring back mc4.

Grief prevention will likely be put on mc2 for self service protection.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:19 am

What will thel limits be like on self service protection?
"Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."
"You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then, will your true self reveal itself."
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 am

Very generous limits, and you will be able to ask an admin should you not have enough land.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:30 pm

One question: would it be possible to get another world save of current Creative map? I was very grateful for the last world save that MBax provided, would be cool to have that again if it's not to much trouble... I was happy to have a save of my builds, as well as a chance to tour around and see other people's builds at my leisure.

Possibly even make it a donation perk? Just an idea.
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
RideTheWalrus
Butts.
<font color=#FF80BF><b><i>Butts.</i></b></font>

Post by RideTheWalrus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:53 pm

TobyLeong wrote:One question: would it be possible to get another world save of current Creative map? I was very grateful for the last world save that MBax provided, would be cool to have that again if it's not to much trouble... I was happy to have a save of my builds, as well as a chance to tour around and see other people's builds at my leisure.

NEVER! NO FUN ALLOWED!
Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm

RideTheWalrus wrote:
TobyLeong wrote:One question: would it be possible to get another world save of current Creative map? I was very grateful for the last world save that MBax provided, would be cool to have that again if it's not to much trouble... I was happy to have a save of my builds, as well as a chance to tour around and see other people's builds at my leisure.

NEVER! NO FUN ALLOWED!
... :cry: so this is the DMV now?

LOL
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
RideTheWalrus
Butts.
<font color=#FF80BF><b><i>Butts.</i></b></font>

Post by RideTheWalrus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Hello sir, I see you've processed your trusted request forms 21D and 18C. Unfortunately you seemed to not include your 93A, 82F, and 42B. Due to this, you were denied. Please try back in 3 months time. Thank you, and we look forward to your next visit.
vxi

Post by vxi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm not sure if I asked these in the original post, but they're some things I'd really like to know the answer to,
Will there be a map boundary, like in mc3? How big will it be? Will it be expanded, like it was on mc3, or was that an exception? Was mc3 the first time we had a map boundary?, I don't remember having one.
Also, I assume we'll be keeping the /bed and /spawn commands. Will we? These things makes a big difference when deciding where to live.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:00 am

1.6 has been out for like 10 years.
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
Azzza
bringin' in the bitches

Post by Azzza » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:49 am

you clicked on one forum too high, enemy.
ಠ_ರೃ
Website
vxi

Post by vxi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:35 am

By the way, since I don't think many people often check through the Minecraft group forum thing, I decided I'd put a link here to my thread about the group I'm starting for 1.6.
The more, the merrier!

Also, could an admin please lock the thread (the one linked above) for me? I'd just like it if nobody posted in it. Thanks!