MC4 Returns

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
dillboss5

Re: MC4 Returns

Post by dillboss5 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 am

I still play it, but anyway, instead of having Factions or plain old survival, then how about Towny? You have the claimed land and the massive group bonuses, but you have to PAY for the town stuff. So instead of having people just sitting there in their fuck-off obsidian fortress, and the enemies just sitting there waiting for them to come out, or having to have a bigger group to claim shit, with this is means that they have to keep paying to keep the land they've claimed, and the more land they have claimed the more they gotta pay. This would offset the want for fuck off big bases, it would require people to sell shit and make money by killing mobs, etc, in order to pay for their castle.
Rayray25849

Post by Rayray25849 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I've been on some Towny servers, I was an admin on one. Most of them died VERY quickly and the community usually has about 15 people online all the time. The whole community finally died and they had to shut it down.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:48 pm

vxi wrote:-Larger map boundaries from the start (like 5000-10,000)
Larger map means people are more spread out and they will interact less with each other. As bad as it sounds, smaller is better when you don't have many players.
vxi wrote:-Very thought out and solid economy and trading systems from the start
Anybody in minecraft can get nearly any item with ease. Why buy when you can make it yourself? Artificial scarcity would have to be introduced, such as only some people could craft some certain items, forcing you to go out and buy the rest. Also, you can't just make an economy from the start. It doesn't work that way.
vxi wrote:-Some sort of teleportation system that isn't player-to-player
With horses I don't see this as necessary as it once was, but it's possible.
vxi wrote:-A better way to set up shops, instead of grabbing the best and closest land near spawn and undercutting everyone else.
I didn't like how shops were set up before either. I might consider a global market where everything is in one store and the lowest price gets the sale. That being said, you can't just prohibit people form undercutting each other. That's how markets work. To do otherwise (like setting minimum prices and unlimited stock) would be a command economy and encourage farming.
vxi wrote:-Another map type would really help
I'd love to try this.
vxi wrote:I think Factions is what everyone is waiting for at this point, and that's probably what we'll see next. I just hope it doesn't last too long so that we can cycle back to MC3 ;)
Unless somebody can come up with a good reason why a factions server would not fail like it has in the past and mc4 just did, they'll keep waiting.
dyl1138 wrote:be pretty laggy at times
What the hell are you talking about? I've never seen our servers lag except when they are about to crash.
dillboss5 wrote:but you have to PAY for the town stuff.
This opens a whole can of worms. From a server admin point of view, upkeep payments are a good thing. They keep people invested because they want to avoid losing what they've got. The problem is that the money has to come from somewhere. You don't want to make an admin shop that buys logs or whatnot, because that just encourages farming. All the money can't come from killing mobs either. I was going to try towny for the last mc3, but nobody could think up a good way for money to enter the economy. That's why I ended up using grief prevention for claiming land and running the shops off of barter.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:02 pm

dillboss5 wrote:but you have to PAY for the town stuff.
This opens a whole can of worms. From a server admin point of view, upkeep payments are a good thing. They keep people invested because they want to avoid losing what they've got. The problem is that the money has to come from somewhere. You don't want to make an admin shop that buys logs or whatnot, because that just encourages farming. All the money can't come from killing mobs either. I was going to try towny for the last mc3, but nobody could think up a good way for money to enter the economy. That's why I ended up using grief prevention for claiming land and running the shops off of barter.[/quote]

Bring back the Mob Arenas and use them for the money?
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Eviltechie wrote:Larger map means people are more spread out and they will interact less with each other. As bad as it sounds, smaller is better when you don't have many players.
The teleporter part probably made the larger map thing make more sense, I hope.
Eviltechie wrote:Anybody in minecraft can get nearly any item with ease. Why buy when you can make it yourself? Artificial scarcity would have to be introduced, such as only some people could craft some certain items, forcing you to go out and buy the rest. Also, you can't just make an economy from the start. It doesn't work that way.
I didn't like how shops were set up before either. I might consider a global market where everything is in one store and the lowest price gets the sale. That being said, you can't just prohibit people form undercutting each other. That's how markets work. To do otherwise (like setting minimum prices and unlimited stock) would be a command economy and encourage farming.
It may be worth it to just try out simple admin shops. It keeps people from getting bored of collecting things that could take ages, but on the other hand, not having shops at all is also a viable option, because people will end up trading with each other anyway, and it has worked that way well in the past.
Eviltechie wrote:With horses I don't see this as necessary as it once was, but it's possible.
Yeah. Horses help, and they would be a viable option still if the teleport system that I came up with was put in place (teleporting having an actual tax) so that if someone's within ~1000 blocks, it would be worth just using a horse, but within ~5000 blocks? it might be worth it to just give up a couple gold, or whatever the tax may be.
Eviltechie wrote:I'd love to try this.
I'm glad. I'd love to try skylands, and it seems pretty popular at the moment, and I think it could be a really exciting thing to try out.
Eviltechie wrote:Unless somebody can come up with a good reason why a factions server would not fail like it has in the past and mc4 just did, they'll keep waiting.
I'm happy to hear that, but mostly just because it means there's a chance that we'll do MC3. Still, I'd like to see anything new, as long as it works well...
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
RideTheWalrus
Butts.
<font color=#FF80BF><b><i>Butts.</i></b></font>

Post by RideTheWalrus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Next: Wither
Rayray25849

Post by Rayray25849 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm in for the Wither.
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Don't leave me out of that
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
dyl1138
Falling Down
<font color=blue>Falling</font><font color=red> Down</font>

Post by dyl1138 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:10 am

If it's going to be 3 versus 1, then maybe you could give the wither the advantage of being spawned aboveground?
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more