DEATH TO MINECRAFT - End of an Era

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

DEATH TO MINECRAFT - End of an Era

Post by mbaxter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 pm

In mid-August 2010, joe.to started hosting a Minecraft server. Over the years our Minecraft servers changed in gameplay and playercounts, and many of us have great memories and favorite experiences from the servers. So, I feel some degree of heartbreak announcing that we're shutting down our Minecraft servers.

There are several reasons for this decision, and a major one is money. Most months we simply haven't been pulling in the contributions to cover having a separate dedicated server for running Minecraft. We're consolidating down to the VPS which runs the website (which I pretty much just cover each month) and the dedicated server which runs our TF2 servers, CSS (let's have another CSS night soon!), L4D2 (join us on mumble!), and other stuff depending on the need. By dropping the other server, we should be able to support ourselves, which is fantastic.

Another big issue we've had lately is the variety of different game modes, mods, and play styles our community is interested in. It's just not feasible to come up with a single server, or couple servers, that covers everything our community is interested in at any one time. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not up for suggestions, but at this point we need more than just a suggestion: we would need people able to contribute time and money to maintain a server.

For those upset at the end of our Minecraft servers, I remind you that we still have an active community playing plenty of games including various minecraft mods. Plenty of us play our various games while in voice chat on mumble, and may or may not have topics describing the fun we're up to on the forums. Come join us :)

Lastly, I'd like to thank Diego for putting in lots of effort into our final push to keep the Minecraft servers alive. So many people over the years have expressed interested in contributing to keeping the servers running, but so few have actually lived up to those statements. Diego went above and beyond and put together something impressive, and deserves praise for his work.

So, goodbye j2 minecraft servers, gone to the great blocky heaven in the sky. Griefed for all eternity.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Re: DEATH TO MINECRAFT - End of an Era

Post by mbaxter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 pm

HEY MINECRAFT ADMINS

YOU'RE FIRED

PACK YOUR STUFF, GET OUT

<3 <3 <3

(You are welcome to apply for source admin if you play with us on TF2. Still love ya. Call me sometime?)
J0E

Post by J0E » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:11 pm

You will be forever missed.

"Developing in the dark is scary and probably wrong." - Notch

People not to trust: go fuck yourself you pretentious fuck
Copter

Post by Copter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:21 pm

mbaxter wrote:HEY MINECRAFT ADMINS

YOU'RE FIRED

PACK YOUR STUFF, GET OUT

<3 <3 <3

(You are welcome to apply for source admin if you play with us on TF2. Still love ya. Call me sometime?)
It was good run. Thanks for everything.
marbear wrote:I was reading my horoscope this morning and it told me I hate you
Q48VW

Post by Q48VW » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 pm

That's too bad. We'll remember the good times. Goodnight sweet server.
mbaxter wrote:The servers are getting pieced back together like a puzzle, except half the pieces don't fit and tehENEMY ate some of them.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 am

My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:21 am

Good times were had, fun memories were made. I'm somewhat somber about the news, but I understand the reason for the decision. Like a beloved pet that just becomes too costly to keep on life support, suffering and barely alive, it was time to mercifully pull the plug.

Thanks Diego for all the hard work. I for one sincerely appreciated your efforts to keep MC going. But you also deserve some credit too Bax, for your role in supporting and, to put it in your own words, "caring deeply" about the mine craft servers. It's been a nice place for me to relax and just build stuff over the past few years. Thank you, and thank everyone who has made playing on the J2 MC server a blast.

But although the game brought some of us together, it was really the players that made the experience wonderful. Most of those same players are still around on the forums, myself included. There's still a lot of fun to be had together on J2. We just have to decide to look for it...
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:30 am

Welp guys time for us to all play Roblox
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:35 am

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:Welp guys time for us to all play Roblox
or OREGON TRAIL : GRUELING PACE.
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
Azzza
bringin' in the bitches

Post by Azzza » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:39 am

rip
ಠ_ರೃ
Website
Reece

Post by Reece » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:52 am

Do I get to collect this month's salary? What's my pension? Do I get to stay protected under the J2 healthcare plan? Can I file with HR for wrongful termination compensation/settlement? I appreciate the sentimental mumbo jumbo, mbaxter, but let's talk money.
kevkingofthesea: May you all bask forever in the glory of the Cube.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:02 am

rip?
im glad that piece of shit game is deader than a dark souls npc

seriously, we should all be like

Seriously lets look back at it. Our server had:

The most annoying kids awaiting to be baby sitted

Americas Funniest unban threads, like some kids openly lied, blamed animals or inanimate objects, used their parents credit card to donate to the server,
lied over and over about xray, somehow had worse grammar than this post or were just unintelligible in general.

Hilarious edrama, i always thought that one day they will start showing our forums on the soup

We had one of the most fascist admins ever called MJCS. He still has the record in the world for most minecraft bans ever. Like this dude wanted to be the Generalissimo, Hitler ,and Richard the Third all in one.

Yes, works of minecraft arts were accomulated in the j2 museum and we gained invaluable additions to the cool j2 people ranks ,but honestly
Im glad its over

free at last! :sadcad:
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:04 am

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Now Joe can come back.
ImageImage
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:26 am

This highlights that we really need to find a new game for the community, IMO
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:33 am

planetside 2 server
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g