dota2 is fun (when not playing with strangers)

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

dota2 is fun (when not playing with strangers)

Post by mbaxter » Wed May 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Every game I've played with people I didn't know has fallen into one of three categories

1) The entire team goes AFK or just quits within 20 minutes.

2) Teammates don't speak english, or at least don't speak.

3) Teammates are jerks who upon discovering I'm not the greatest player start telling me I'm terrible and should leave or uninstall.

Great community and it's not even out of beta yet.
dantesus

Re: dota2 is fun (when not playing with strangers)

Post by dantesus » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

mbaxter wrote: Great community and it's not even out of beta yet.

Welcome to Dota. I used to play a long time ago on wc3, and tried it again about 9 months ago. Played a couple of matches, and I noticed that players are normally abrasive towards newbies. That's because each game effects your ELO, regardless of whether or not you are with new people or with veterans. There is no 1-30 buffer to learn the mechanics. You just have to dig in and ignore the shit talking. I hope they implement something similar to league of legends, or at least a requirement of bot training before you play normal games.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Wed May 02, 2012 7:40 pm

You just need to get more games in and you'll get better queues, make sure to avoid having to leave a game as you'll be stuck with the dredge.

As long as you have the idea down on how to do basic play I don't recommend bot matches, I say go straight to real matches with randoms if people aren't available. Who cares if they get mad? You can mute them in voice and chat.

I almost only play if someone from j2 is, the games are so much better when you know at least your team isn't going to leave or be completely retarded.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
Adam

Post by Adam » Wed May 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Yeah it gets better as you get higher up in matchmaking. It still can still be really be frustrating but I was actually expecting it to be worse with how people talk about MOBA/ARTS games. We'll see how Valve does trying to fix it but at the moment j2 is pretty close to always being able to queue with another member anyway.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Mobas are the most frustrating games ever conceived.
So, yeah play them with friends so you can get sidetracked of all of the frustration.

Honestly, they are pretty much too oriented in kill/death score (and win/lose stats) ,but a lot of games
of many genres also do this. The problem is that since moba games generally take too much time and commitment for a single match, then the
general feelings of accomplishment and progress get a really low blow if you are losing ,or if you are not getting enough kills or you die too much (getting first blooded makes
you feel like a piece of shit). On top of this take in mind that waiting for a match takes time too ,and you might get unlucky and get teamed with bad players ,or worse, get
teamed against really good players. It might sound selfish, but people ALWAYS want to win. So when the is any form of impediment to this regardless of how well earned
and fair it is, on top of the long waiting times, people are gonna bitch, etc.

The community is shit too ,and they will make you feel bad for anything. Accusing, mockery ,racism, sexism, Brazilians. You name it, it's all here.
Makes you wonder if games conceived for strategic gameplay are any different to simplistic console shooters, as they both bring the worse out of humans.

As i said, if you are gonna play them for fun, play them with friends ,and play them with a CAUSAL mindset (with some commitment at least).
Get to know the game, pick a champion that you feel right with, practice with bots, get a general feel of the game, etc
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 pm

moba's definitely have the worst communities
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
bh :)

Post by bh :) » Thu May 03, 2012 1:22 am

dantesus wrote:
mbaxter wrote: Great community and it's not even out of beta yet.

Welcome to Dota. I used to play a long time ago on wc3, and tried it again about 9 months ago. Played a couple of matches, and I noticed that players are normally abrasive towards newbies. That's because each game effects your ELO, regardless of whether or not you are with new people or with veterans. There is no 1-30 buffer to learn the mechanics. You just have to dig in and ignore the shit talking. I hope they implement something similar to league of legends, or at least a requirement of bot training before you play normal games.
Dota 2 has the level system implemented if you look at your bottom left, it just doesn't level you up as of right now (though early beta users do have their bar somewhat filled up due to it working back in da day)

for the most part my teammates are OK, it's not too hard to get into high skill bracket and once there teammates are decent but you still come across feeders no doubt. the elo matchmaking system is completely fucking gimped atm, hopefully fixed soon
Django wrote: The community is shit too ,and they will make you feel bad for anything. Accusing, mockery ,racism, sexism, Brazilians. You name it, it's all here.
Makes you wonder if games conceived for strategic gameplay are any different to simplistic console shooters, as they both bring the worse out of humans.
i tend not to rage at pubs (because id rather aviod getting banned) but ive played games with friends where my friend (whos played league for 2 years or so) played bloodseeker, and the next match after that laned AGAINST bloodseeker, just to get ulted and die by it because he had no idea how it worked.

generally if i'm raging at you it's because you should know something by now. if you're support and you don't buy wards or chicken, i'm just gonna lose my shit, because there's no reason for you to need items over utility like that.

the main thing is i play to win, i play to outplay the enemy, i can't do that if i have to carry around a pub boulder. for the most part my teammates are generally pretty competent, and although i'm not the best player. i know my job on the field and work to make sure my team knows what the hell they're doing. it's why i generally play any type of initiation role (tide, sk) so i can change the entire game just by making plays.

i mean here's the thing, when i play an fps. it's generally like 16v16. I'm not gonna go outta my way to watch one guy get shit on cause he's bad, but in a 5v5 situation EVERYTHING makes a difference. dota games can last an hour, if i put all this effort into playing, i expect to either win or have fun, and losing is generally neither of those.
NightFantom
fuck you i'm a dragon
<font color=#800000>fuck you i'm a dragon</font>

Post by NightFantom » Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 am

as a former complete noob, this is the part where we (i) are most thankful for in any game:
bh :) wrote: i know my job on the field and work to make sure my team knows what the hell they're doing. it's why i generally play any type of initiation role (tide, sk) so i can change the entire game just by making plays.
things can be hard on many players, even experienced ones, if you don't know the meta. e.g supports buying wards is self-evident imo (from having played LoL), but buying some items over others because of other reasons than "you like it" and "it synergizes well with the champ i'm playing" are beyond me currently

then again i should put some effort into reading guides when i've got the time so there's that
that seems like a huge amount of work for no good reason - joe
or, you know, sarcasm - Neelpos
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu May 03, 2012 2:26 pm

My first hundred or so games of DotA were with people I knew. All in-house. And I still got told I was terrible and should stop playing because I clearly wasn't improving. Good times.
Jager
Xfire: moot259

Post by Jager » Mon May 07, 2012 3:29 am

There are 3 basic ways you can react to someone not doing their job or acting stupid (example: support not buying wards, people not helping in teamfights)
1) Ignore their mistake (they usually keep making the mistake and it costs you the game)
2) Ask them nicely to do it differently (sometimes they listen and sometime they don't, but at least you tried)
3) Rage, yell at them, and call them "pubs" (this action results in at least two members of the team bickering more than playing the game, and 1 to 3 of the other team members going AFK)

Unfortunately about 70% of people who play MOBA games choose option 3.
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Wed May 30, 2012 12:54 am

It definitely gets better as you go on. I don't really have anyone leave any of my games, because people actually care about their MMR. At lower levels people get easily frustrated because they're bad and blame other people (this always happens, though) and just leave the game. I've been smurfing on a lower MMR account recently though and a lot of people do leave. It's actually not that difficult to win 4v5 or even 3v5 (i've even seen some teams win 2v5) if you really try, since you get all your allies gold and share their passive gold when they abandon. But if someone on your team leaves you can't get a loss, so you can safely leave but it's still possible to get a win and be awarded MMR points if you go tryhard.

Once you get better you can avoid matchmaking by playing in inhouse leagues like Teamliquid's. If we could get a list of like 15-20 of us together for a regular casual j2 inhouse that would be pretty cool, as long we divided up players evenly by skill level. People could bring friends too, since it might be hard to get 10 of us consistently. I have a couple friends who play pretty regularly. Inhouse matches can be a lot more fun and less stressful than matchmaking games.