Third-Party Tournament support inside dota 2.

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
Hoodedsniper

Third-Party Tournament support inside dota 2.

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:30 am

So Valve has offically released in game Dota 2 tournament support for third partys, the first is going to be The Defense.

Now these tournaments in game cost money to watch, its $2.99 or something to watch in game, you also get ALL the replays from the league so I guess the $2.99 is well spent for those.

You can still watch all these tournaments for free from streams, usually joindota.com has them all.

All the info is here http://blog.dota2.com/2012/06/did-you-see-that-kill/

What do you guys think of having to pay for league passes so you can watch the games live and replays?

Its essentially paying for the replays since you already have the free streams and vods.

Also Rubrick is out(tomorrow on normal client)

Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Re: Third-Party Tournament support inside dota 2.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Who's Rubick? Renamed DotA hero due to having a Blizzard name or someone new?
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Avvatar wrote:Who's Rubick? Renamed DotA hero due to having a Blizzard name or someone new?
Nope, same name, its the guy whos ultimate can steal anyones spells and make them his own.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Definitely someone added after I stopped playing then.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Avvatar wrote:Definitely someone added after I stopped playing then.
He is one of the newer ones, not the newest, but hes pretty new.
bh :)

Post by bh :) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Really fucking stupid idea IMO. I don't like it one bit. I'm too lazy to go into detail but basicalyl I think it would've made more sense to implement advertising because here's the thing, they're gonna kill their own base that watch the game in the client. There were 2k viewers per game in TI2 Qualifiers, now how many do you think there are gnona be? Not NEAR as many. Why even bother when you can watch jD's stream and watch advertisements inbetween each game?

2 Ways I can see this being fixed:

Make the ability to buy a overall cheaper yearly fee
Also allow players to watch replays WITHOUT paying
Possibly add more incentives to buying yearly passes (maybe adding vods of player interviews somewhere? Adding an item? idk)
Or
Implement advertising, remove the Pay for view fee, make it so replays are available to public.

As someone who has crap nets, I can't watch 720P streaming, so I'm gonna have to pay $3/tournament jsut to watch that shit? What the fuck Valve. I'v ebeen liking their choices for with dota, as all the items have been relatively cheap and the drop system is 100x times better than TF2's. But this is some bullshit.

edit: also if i do buy a pass for defense, i'll gladly upload demos of the replays, since i assume they are just .dem files with the voice work of tobi etc on them.
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:05 pm

I think it works pretty good actually. If you don't feel the need to be able to control the in-game camera you can just watch a stream of a match you're interested in for free, sponsored by ads. Being able to watch from the client is a luxury that some players will be willing to pay for and other players won't be. The problem is that if people are watching through the client the streamers aren't getting any revenue, so they need to generate revenue somehow. As long as the prices aren't unreasonable (~5 USD for big tournaments sounds fine to me) I think it's pretty cool.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Man, what idiot pays money to watch other people play video games.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
bh :)

Post by bh :) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:31 am

Django wrote:Man, what idiot pays money to watch other people play video games.
MLG
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:05 am

Django wrote:Man, what idiot pays money to watch other people play video games.
There just like the idiots who pay money to go to a sports game.
Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 am

bh :) wrote:Really fucking stupid idea IMO. I don't like it one bit. I'm too lazy to go into detail but basicalyl I think it would've made more sense to implement advertising because here's the thing, they're gonna kill their own base that watch the game in the client. There were 2k viewers per game in TI2 Qualifiers, now how many do you think there are gnona be? Not NEAR as many. Why even bother when you can watch jD's stream and watch advertisements inbetween each game?

2 Ways I can see this being fixed:

Make the ability to buy a overall cheaper yearly fee
Also allow players to watch replays WITHOUT paying
Possibly add more incentives to buying yearly passes (maybe adding vods of player interviews somewhere? Adding an item? idk)
Or
Implement advertising, remove the Pay for view fee, make it so replays are available to public.

As someone who has crap nets, I can't watch 720P streaming, so I'm gonna have to pay $3/tournament jsut to watch that shit? What the fuck Valve. I'v ebeen liking their choices for with dota, as all the items have been relatively cheap and the drop system is 100x times better than TF2's. But this is some bullshit.

edit: also if i do buy a pass for defense, i'll gladly upload demos of the replays, since i assume they are just .dem files with the voice work of tobi etc on them.
I'm guessing Valve's tournaments will continue to be free while tournaments like The Defence wouldn't have in game spectating without this. It's just a cool luxury that I think will do pretty well if they keep it cheap enough.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:58 am

I never watch any moba tournament videos as is, so I sure as hell won't be paying money to see one.

But IF I was really into it, I'd probably pay for it every now and then, assuming it works just as spectating does now. I can't stream any higher than 320, so being able to watch a game at full resolution would be nice, I'm sure.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:20 am

The money most likely also goes to help fund the tournament host, so that money is making it so they can have bigger and bigger prize pools.

Also, you don't need to host your tournament in Dota 2, its your choice.