LoL's community is kinda sucky.

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
SteTehWierdo

LoL's community is kinda sucky.

Post by SteTehWierdo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Perhaps it's just me being used to the general friendly (albeit somewhat silly) community that exists within the majority of Valve games and casual first person shooters, but I really feel that the LoL community is one of the biggest turnoffs of the game. What I absolutely hate is how quick people are to order you to do something, how quick they are to have a go at you if you don't do what they say, and how quick they are to threaten/insult other players.
Now I'm not hating on LoL, or those that play it. As a game, I think it's great, with some brilliant characters that are ridiculously fun to play as. But it really just gets on my nerves how many people will just force their way into the chat, go into a temporary all caps rage and degrade every other player in the room, because the "whole team noob" or something equivalent showing the lack of IQ of some of the users.
It feels rude and unnecessary. It really does. Especially when you're on mid because you're a carry (IE Ashe), and then they come along as a character like Teemo or Annie and then start thinking they're invincible.
What a lot of LoL players actually remind me of is annoying individuals like Kanye West who'll happily muck up the entire game for everyone else, sulk if they don't get their way and generally do everything to make sure their over-inflated ego is preserved.
I'm just wondering, are other games like HoN similar to this? Cause if so I reckon I won't bother.

Another thing I'm sick of is people raging on the menu because they can't get the character they want. If you can only play one character, then honestly your just wasting the game. How many champions are there in LoL? Cause its a large amount and I'm certain the developers and art team didn't pour in the hours and hours of effort just to have them all ignored.

Anyways, thats just my two cents. Anybody else have this problem with LoL?
Apologies, was unaware my signature was too big :3
Have a YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/stephenpottermusic
dantesus

Re: LoL's community is kinda sucky.

Post by dantesus » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:20 pm

I mostly ignore people who complain in the chat. I could understand if someone is doing bad at their role, but unless it's a ranked game, they should probably give them some slack. It's not like people make money playing normal games.

Pretty much every game 'community' has trolls in it, it's a fact that you have to accept. So if you are discouraged to play a game based on what people say, maybe you should stop worrying about what other people say. League of Legends can be a very frustrating game at times, considering the only game mode worth playing requires team work and competent team mates. You just have to learn to accept that you won't always win, and that some people can't cope with the fact that they aren't always in control. A game like tf2 doesn't have to be taken so seriously, the main objective is to have fun and there is no 'end-goal' / ranking system besides acquiring more hats. That may be why you are encountering more rage in League.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:10 pm

League of Legends is far and away the friendliest MOBA community.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:21 pm

"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Soriana

Post by Soriana » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Welcome to every competitive online game ever. The tribunal does make a difference, but my god, some people should just never be online, ever. I have seen multiple threads of people who report/punish ANYONE who says "GG" and it is just ridiculous. A slight layer of thick skin makes a huge difference. I expect my games to be filled with ragers and trolls, and at least when it happens then I really don't care, and if it doesn't I'm pleasantly surprised.

"It really hurts my feelings and offends me when the enemy says GG. They are harassing me and rubbing it in that they won, beat me, and even had fun doing it. It's not a good game for the losing team, ever. I report and punish any and every person who say such blatantly abusive, mean things." Ugh.

You can always report at the end of the game, and until then /ignore makes a huge difference. And as Django posted, some Tribunal cases are downright hilarious.
I'd love to embrace you, but first, I have to satisfy my sense of moral outrage!
BalthazarMcLovin

Post by BalthazarMcLovin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:11 pm

I report people when they say "gg easy" because fuck being an asshole.
teaching bitches how to swim
Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Lately in the medium skill bracket of Dota2 most of my games seem full of decent enough people. It took me about 200 games to not get bothered by trashtalk or getting stomped.
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 pm

MOBA has the worst communities, though I think the dota games work well.

Even at my really low level I have been getting better matches, but when I team with adam or anyone else who plays more the matches are usually quite pleasnt.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
ja raul

Post by ja raul » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:52 pm

dota1 used to have a pretty bad community.. then I played HoN
LoL is almost as bad as HoN but I think dota 2 has a really good community for a MOBA game
the 'worst' trolls are usually under 100wins imo, other trolling by experienced players tends to be more discreet

worst to best communities..
HoN > LoL/Dota1 (tied) > dota2
Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:59 am

Yeah from what I've heard about S2Games and some of the models they put into the game it's almost like they encouraged a shitty community.
SteTehWierdo

Post by SteTehWierdo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:20 am

"I don't play this game to have fun".

My braind just gone through -5. DERP.

BRB, gotta regain some comprehensibility. I got it back. Yay.

To be fair I've had a pretty decent run-through today with very little complaints. I guess its just optimal hours for certain individuals to creep to their basements and harass then.

I dont think its quality of community really. I've probably danced around my point more than gotten to it which is kinda sucky. Its more quantity than quality. You can get the occasional arse on TF2 or genuinely nice individual on COD on occasion, for example, but I feel LoL follows the COD route of "EVERYONES DUMB HERP DERP GG EASY HA" etc etc.

Either that, or I'm just unlucky. No doubt about it LoL can be frustrating so to some degree I'm starting to understand the rage of these individuals to some odd degree. But to me its frustrating in the sense of just falling short of killing them. (IE using Cho'Gaths ulti and then finding they've got a miniscule amount of health and you've just wasted it)

Still, it annoys me that, for the most part, the majority of LoL players can't take their fingers off shift or press caps-lock for just a moment. :/
Apologies, was unaware my signature was too big :3
Have a YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/stephenpottermusic
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Yeah internet gaming is srs business!

Also, that's not a spleen it's a kidney.

:edit:

Well, now that I look at it, it could be a spleen, though the splenic vein is disproportionate.

It's so big it looks like the renal vein.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:15 am

LoL and HoN have way worse communities than Dota.

Everytime I play LoL people go fucking apeshit if you stray away from the metagame or build of the month because thats what pros do.
HAJIBADA

Post by HAJIBADA » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 am

I hate it when people complain that they got ksed.
mbaxter wrote:You are apparently mentally challenged, and for that I am sorry