Diretide

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Diretide

Post by Avvatar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Anyone else having fun with this? And the fact that it's raining free items?

Guh, it looks like a crafty thread.
Here,

http://dota2.com/diretide/
It's a Dota2 custom map with unique goals and lots of rewards.
Just don't plan on winning the "fastest Roshan killing" contest thing. It's being cheesed. Hard. They're down to sub-second kills. Takes like 8 hours and 10 peopleaccounts and being dicks. Hopefully Valve will do something about it.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Re: Diretide

Post by Django » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Good luck with killing roshan, if the enemy team decides to disconnect before the match is over.
It doesn't take that much to kill him, just a ton of illusion items, characters that can multiply or heal each other ,and one item that does a shit ton of damage.

That aside, diretire is hella fun. But, since this is dota, people will still be babies enough to ragequit a match of a silly game mode that valve came up with for an annual event.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:06 pm

I've yet to have trouble killing Roshan at the end. He's an absolute joke. Even with several players trolling and attempting to make it more difficult. I don't understand the "if you kill Roshan" bit. He always dies. It's inevitable.

If you want to troll, consider heroes able to trap/move others. If you're not on such a hero, go grab candy from the enemies bowl during the Roshan event and throw it at players leaving them in one-shot range hp range. Thus far I've yet to see it affect the outcome. Oh, and it may also be possible to throw the candy at Roshan and increase his armor.
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:33 pm

since when the fuck does django play dota, you guys should both add me and we'll murder diretide jamie d most candy every game all day
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Avvatar wrote:Hopefully Valve will do something about it.
Oh hey they did something about it. The timer starts at 20m no matter how bugged out you've managed to get Roshan.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 pm

MindFlayer wrote:since when the fuck does django play dota, you guys should both add me and we'll murder diretide jamie d most candy every game all day
I should note that i fucking blow at the game ,and i only play the cheesecake characters.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:39 am

I can't stand diretide. I prefer real games much more, probably because I'm still learning the game and want to get better or learn more, and diretide just seems like a gimmicky tf2-esque hatfest.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
ja raul

Post by ja raul » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:10 am

diretide is just a halloween event for dota, similar to tf2
play it or dont.. its only around for a bit

until next year
bh :)

Post by bh :) » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:41 pm

it was really really bad at launch with meepo and pl especially when you can deny candies. it's ok now but honestly i don't see the appeal, as it's kind of imbalanced.

but the boss battle was fun and it shows that there is a lot of potential for custom gamemodes in dota 2 now
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:36 pm

the roshan fight is boring as fuck. i love the first two phases though, most fun i've had in a dota 2 pub since early beta. it's a lot better now that they've hot-fixed most of the cheesey shit. my main strat is either to pick retarded lvl 1 teamfight heroes (jakiro, undying) then win a fight at their bucket and get a huge candy lead right away, or if we don't have a very good lineup for fighting i'll grab a hero with ez escape like qop, am, clinkz and just hit and run. failing that, it's usually best to farm up the lanes for the first 10 minutes while tping to defend your bucket and trying to snag quick candies if you notice most of their team on the other side of the map.
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:10 pm

I've found the most success just insta-locking Drow. Silence shuts down all the "escape" heroes, slow stops small plays, and the damage output just crushes teamfights. At 10 minutes I generally just stop laning. I'm either hugging the bucket if they have good thieves or jungling for the extra candy for my team.
The item build has gotten rather straight-forward with repeated use. Start with Wraith Band, Salve, and Ring of Prot. Build Power Treads, Aquilas. Crystalis. Mjollnir. Butterfly. I've only gotten to the Butterfly before phase 3 once. Always have the Crystalis before phase 2 and generally have at least the hammer starting the Mjollnir. Until Butterfly, always have slots 5 and 6 open for candy and Town Portal. Give up the TP scrolls to purchase Eaglesong. Hug bucket.
Tends to win.