Might take a venture into casting, atleast League for now

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
prolix

Might take a venture into casting, atleast League for now

Post by prolix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 pm

first experiment with taking footage, tell me what you think.

next one will have me talking etc, just been getting all my wording right first before i make a fool out of myself. If Diggity still checks these forums some insight on great tools to use would be great. right now using xsplit for streaming and fraps for recording, not using SSD for fraps but not noticing any real loss from recording due to it.

dantesus

Re: Might take a venture into casting, atleast League for no

Post by dantesus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 am

Looks good, man. Did you ever get the new video card? I picked up a 7850 2gb and it really improved the framerate while I'm streaming. I know that Diggity uses a nice mic for commentary, as do a lot of commentators. I know that the paid version of xSplit has high audio bitrate, but if you don't, you could consider trying http://obsproject.com. It's completely free and open-source, and the features are fairly robust. Although I don't think that you can switch between scenes yet, but you can use overlays and webcam video overlays.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
bh :)

Post by bh :) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 am

USE OBS FO SHO. It's WAY better.

Anyway, I can't watch your video right now cause my internet is being shit but one of the main things I REALLY like to watch in casters is
a) high excitement during times where it's necessary (huge teamfight turnarounds)
b) slight humor at times, but nothing over the edge to where it's detrimental to what you're talking about
c) having a personality

there are obviously a lot of casters in league, cause the game is so popular, so you might want to think about getting a webcam and having that in a 320x240 position somewhere on screen just so people can see your face. To put into perspective there are probably hundreds of League streamers who are probably more knowledgable than you, so a real factor is having an appeasing personality that viewers can enjoy. One of my favorite Dota streamers is actually LD because he can be serious but also is light hearted, and has a pretty soothing voice (nohomo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDaJes0T1Ig

This is a good video example of excitement, LD (the main caster who is talking at the start) basically gets the crowd energized, and then you have (who I think) LuminousInverse who doesn't really follow up, and is nowhere near as energetic sounding as LD.
Diggity
resident expendable statistic
resident expendable statistic

Post by Diggity » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 am

oy the tips...

So first of all you need to skip xsplit for game capture period. Use Fraps and then encode using X264.

For casting you really need to know why you are getting into it.

If you want to be popular these days you have 3 routes

1) get above 1800 elo, advertise that fact and then commentate. As long as aren't slovenly with your speech everyone will love you
2) Give a ton of stuff away and then dump a huge amount of excitement into your casts
3) Cuss in elaborate ways and say extremely offensive things that are very border line.

Even then you are a needle in a haystack unless you are doing some dirty SEO ploys and even then you need to be lucky. I would suggest jackass style youtube videos to attain this with massively less energy invested and pain.

If you are doing it as an artform

1) Emulate someone whose casting you reallllly like and then expand on it.
2) Get a copy of CS6 and polish everything up
3) Practice every day, over and over again.
4) Ignore all feedback for the first 6 months. Once you feel confident in your form, ask for feedback in a public place like LoL forums and or reddit and be prepared to shove your ego in a garbage can for the next 2 weeks.

If you don't know why you are doing it, figure out if you actually love it or not. Cast for all the time you can fill in an entire week. Then consider doing that for the rest of your life. If you are still motivated then congrats you love casting inherently and move on to "doing it as an artform".
<diggity>
prolix

Post by prolix » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks for the insight, on the whole ego in garbage can thing i know how that works haha, i'm already ready to accept it. Nice to see you again diggity btw, are you still streaming? I haven't seen you on much lately.

i've switched to OBS from xsplit, still having issues on fullscreen games. with OBS i'm fine aslong as they are window mode. notice some lag but nothing compared to how xplit lagged my jazz.

what do you use besides fraps to stream diggity?