(MC4) The Saints

marbear

Re: (MC4) The Saints

Post by marbear » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Okay Dillboss here are my suggestions about your group.
I think that it's nice that you would want to help people who might be displaced after being raided, but I don't really understand the box idea. You already know that people will constantly steal from them, so why don't you just keep the items with you in your base, and then when people reach out to you, you can personally deliver them? Many people do not visit the forums frequently enough to see that you would like people to not touch your boxes. Keeping your items with you will save you trips from checking your boxes that will probably get tiresome after a while.

Also, I think that a good step in making the community like you more would be by being more welcoming. You say that you're going to be very picky about who you let join you. This is understandable in the case of new people, but if you know someone who has been here for a while, not just your typical group of friends, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just let people join you. Hide away your most valuable items if you have to, but be welcoming and friendly and people will like you more.

Also in the case of your old castle, there's a difference between being serious and being dramatic. I'm not sure what kind of response you were expecting when you wrote that post. Next time, to actually be taken seriously, a couple of pictures and a, "hey I really liked this base does anyone know who built it?" would probably suffice. There's not much material there to be picked on over but still gets your point across.
"Marbear your too stupid...so I don't know what the fuck your thinking."
GG50

Post by GG50 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:08 pm

You shouldn't suppress your anger, just try to find different means to relieve it.
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

This is a signature; it is for my amusement, not yours.
Wolsk wrote:Real men don't need a woman in order to make babies.
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm failing to see a way for people to find the buried chests other than by coincidence or by Dill revealing their location...
I think it's an interesting idea to say the least, because Dill could ask where the player is, and then according to their coordinates, Dill could give them the coordinates of the chest closest to them.
When I read the thread at first all I was picturing was them being over ground, but since they won't be, how will people find them when they're not intended to?
It also tackles having to walk out and trade with every single person he wants to donate to. Even if he's in a cave mining, he can give someone the coordinates to one of the chests easily.
As for getting people to join you, I don't think it will be too hard. You'll find some people eventually. For your group, I don't know if you'll need too many, either. It's the kind of group that looks like it could work well with just a few people.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:33 pm

I think that would be a good idea, but my worry is if I get raided, I loose the donation items, meanwhile if their hidden away in random locations, I could use them myself, and keep them away from my home. Horses are gonna be VERY useful though. I don't know, I suppose I could have a hidden area not too far from my house containing the stuff. If I make myself a new skin, looking all saint like, find a white horse, I could look pretty cool while delivering the stuff to people. I might do that, sounds fun.

When I said I was gonna be picky I was meaning new people. I should have been more clear really. People who have been around for a while i wont be very picky about.

When it came to my post about the castle I was hoping I would get some responses from people saying "Oh yeah, I know who built that!" or "Oh yeah that, I built that ages ago..." But fair enough, I'll take your advice next time.

(vxi then posts)
To have them out in the open everywhere would be too easy to raid. Of course I would have them buried. And it would be practical like you suggested so I could just consult my list of chests and give them the closest. I don't really know tbh. I'll have to think about the positives and the negatives of doing either of them. Most of my groups have always been small numbers, but the people in there are talented at one skill or another. Like with RRT, I had pennoy for his sniping skills, (I think it might have been goran) for his redstone trap skills, etc. But yeah.
vxi

Post by vxi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Horses are going to be a major game changer, big time. I can't stress how much they're going to change everything, it's awesome.
You're also right about being able to retrieve your own chests if you get raided, that's a great plan.
You're right about your post about the castle.

I personally wouldn't advise against that sort of post, I think it was a good idea to try to get those people in touch with you. It's the way the post was specifically written, seemingly a bit carelessly in regard to what others may respond with. But mainly, the way it derailed was the bad thing about it. Not necessarily all your fault, either, not at all, but like I've said many times, everyone could have handled it better.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 am

I agree about the horses. It will be quite fun, and VERY useful for pack mules. I've managed to draw up some sort of way to see which path I should take.

Reasons give items by hand:
Positive:
I'd get to be more known.
Word of the project would spread.
I would look pretty damn cool.
I wouldn't have to check the chests.
I wouldn't have to worry about people tampering.
Negatives:
If I get raided, I loose all the items, thereby stopping the project.
If I die during transport, I'd loose my items, and the charity items.
I'd have to travel great distances to give items out, and if I were to have to cross a sea, I wouldn't know what to do with my horse.

Reasons to give items by chest:
Positive:
I can just tell raided people where the closest chest is so I don't have to take time to go and give them the items.
If I get raided, I can use my own chests to rebuild myself.
It would keep the project going, even in dire situations.
I wouldn't have to worry about the project stopping if I get raided.
I would only have to do one trip to set them up.
Negatives:
I would have to check every so often.
I would have to find good locations, out of the way for the chests.
I would have to keep track of each box and replace it each time it's been used.

Feel free to add more positives or negatives to either one. If there's more positives on one than there is on the other, I'll go for the best one, so I'll be needing your advice.
marbear

Post by marbear » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Don't forget that unfortunately people do try to find ways around any effort we have to stop x-raying. Just because you think you've found a good place for one doesn't mean that no one can find them.
"Marbear your too stupid...so I don't know what the fuck your thinking."
dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Ofc, I know that will happen. I didn't include that, because it could happen either way, being my base or the chests.
dyl1138
Falling Down
<font color=blue>Falling</font><font color=red> Down</font>

Post by dyl1138 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:49 pm

marbear36 wrote:Don't forget that unfortunately people do try to find ways around any effort we have to stop x-raying. Just because you think you've found a good place for one doesn't mean that no one can find them.
Orebfuscator functioned fairly well for the Overworld. IIRC the only real workaround is obtaining the world seed.
However, it lacks the ability to properly function in the Nether and the End, and entity tracking has no known prevention method.

Keeping the supplies in your base would avoid the situation of the recipient of the chest coords boobytrapping the chest afterwards. It's a dick move, but that doesn't stop it from happening.
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Well yeah, but I wouldn't re-use chests. What would stop the person who used it to come back at a later date to check it again? I'd just make a new one after it. My worry about keeping the items in my base are as I said above.
vxi

Post by vxi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:16 pm

dyl1138 wrote:IIRC the only real workaround is obtaining the world seed.
What? Obtaining the world seed? I didn't think that was possible to do without hacking into the server and pretending to be an admin or anything like that.
As for X-Ray, like I said before, that's probably the main reason why PvP isn't my favorite. Because people will always find a way to X-Ray and ruin your base with no effort.
dyl1138
Falling Down
<font color=blue>Falling</font><font color=red> Down</font>

Post by dyl1138 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm

vxi wrote:
dyl1138 wrote:IIRC the only real workaround is obtaining the world seed.
What? Obtaining the world seed? I didn't think that was possible to do without hacking into the server and pretending to be an admin or anything like that.
As for X-Ray, like I said before, that's probably the main reason why PvP isn't my favorite. Because people will always find a way to X-Ray and ruin your base with no effort.

Seeds can be found by collecting enough information about the chunks it generates. This includes the nether and the end. The End configuration really narrows it down, as does nether quartz. It's very time consuming and processor intensive to do, so nobody would ever do it unless they were seriously determined. The map borders make it nearly impossible without some good luck or the admins choosing a popular seed. It's generally when a plugin that will display world info (generally including the seed) is installed and not given the proper permission requirements that someone gets ahold of it.
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
Pennoy999
Bringing Sexeh Back

Post by Pennoy999 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:33 am

dillboss5 wrote:will be recruiting for this group
I'll do it
huehuehuehuehuehueheueheuheuheuehueheh.

dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 am

Pennoy999 wrote:
dillboss5 wrote:will be recruiting for this group
I'll do it
I know I can trust you pennoy, so yeah you can join.
dillboss5

Post by dillboss5 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:02 pm

I was considering starting a new thread for this, as this did get a bit messy, but why waste time.

Group's gonna be coming up, if people wanna join, just say so. It'd be cool if I could get some talented builders in here, because I have a great idea for a base. Like I said the the first post, it's gonna be a charity group, supplying stuff to those who have been raided. (The charity items will not be from personal items) It'd be cool to see some new people in the group so, yeah, time to meet some new faces if anyone wants to join. I know there's a lot of bad stuff for people being able to raid us, but hey, that can happen to anyone.