Should I get CS:GO?

Discussion for all Counter-Strike titles - csgo.joe.to
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Re: Should I get CS:GO?

Post by Django » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Why will you suggest a job a application for Valve?
They only hire talented people.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 pm

510 Baud One wrote:
Hoodedsniper wrote:
510 Baud One wrote:
Hoodedsniper wrote:
510 Baud One wrote:Valve is hiring, you can make change from the inside, literally, their operational structure is unlike anything I have ever seen

http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/index.html

Click on the New Employee Handbook (PDF) at the bottom
You are making a bad post again.
Did you read through the handbook?
You made a post trying to tell us to get a job at Valve like its just something you can just do.

and the handbook is very old news.
Ahhh, I see now, I get ya. I realize it is not as easy as applying, but for the person with the right background/portfolio it could be. I figure someone like nipper could qualify, he has street-cred and weight in the community/internet.

Pretty sure you would need years of experience already at a job.

Valve is a professional company with experts, you dont just apply for making some maps.
510 Baud One

Post by 510 Baud One » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:49 pm

:/
510 BauD OnE

(]~_~[) (Listening to mp3s)

Steam Profile

“Everything you want is on the other side of fear.”
-Jack Canfield
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

They ARE one of the most notoriously difficult places to get a job at in the industry Baud, they're kinda like Google but for video games, i.e. a significant portion of their employees were asked to join rather than applied.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Neelpos wrote:They ARE one of the most notoriously difficult places to get a job at in the industry Baud, they're kinda like Google but for video games, i.e. a significant portion of their employees were asked to join rather than applied.
Ya pretty much this.

You arent told what to do at Valve, you do what you want and make your hours, you cant do a job like that without being a complete professional in the industry and knowing exactly what you are doing.

Thats also why Valve is a pretty small company.
NNNyc

Post by NNNyc » Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Counter-Strike died when CS Source came out

We had loads of fun literally legendary unforgettable times playing cs 1.6
bh :)

Post by bh :) » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Django wrote:Hooded sniper and jazzy both of you have like the same obsolete opinions
imma follow up on this and just say that valve did a great job with csgo

look at it like this:

Valve made a crating system, where you can buy crates from the market, get them from trades, or get them from ingame drops (you're limited to about 2 a week and it's RNG getting the ones worth money (you can get sticker capsules aka useless)). With these crates you can unbox weapon SKINS (only skins) that change the ingame model, animation, and texture of weapons. There's also Stat-trak items where it tracks how many iklls you get on players. For instance, a Stat-trak Karambit is $400 http://steamcommunity.com/market/listin ... 20Karambit

Now, if we go by Steam's trade thing. 5% goes directly to Steam, and 10% goes to CSGO. So a $400 knife is actually only going to give the seller $340, while Valve pockets the rest. Things like the Breakout case sell for $1~$2 each.

So Valve is banking a certain amount of money off of each Key (Remember that Valve pays the content creators that make the skins through the sales of keys, giving them a percentage), and then the resale of items they benefit from by taking a cut out of that. Not to mention CSGO is also a one time purchase of $15 or so.

What's Valve doing with all this money? Well they contribute to ESL's prize pool of $250,000. And.... nothing else. In the last 6 months or so they ported 2 new maps over, de_cbble, a 1.6 map, and made an entirely new map from scratch, de_overpass. Meanwhile Operation Breakout is a $6 pass with maps created by the content.
It gets better tho. They forced ESL (Since they contribute money to the pool) to use de_cbble and de_overpass in their LAN rotations. These maps are completely untested by any pros. There are no major strats, they have been in no major tuornaments, no leagues, no LANs. No nothing. Nobody has played these maps on a serious level. Since Valve contributes to ESL, they have certain weight on pushing what maps they want. So what do they do? They shove their 2 shitty newly ported/made maps over to ESL and announce that the maps will be in the rotation ONE MONTH before the tournament. They also completely changed the vetoing system to make it so each team only gets one ban in a Bo3 and then the remaining maps on the pool are randomly selected to be played. A lot of pros are willing to let more maps be in the lan pool but not if they haven't even been played for more than a couple months. Overpass is a good foundation but it's not even remotely there yet as a competitive map.

And then they've recently changed wallbanging, broke a shit ton of maps and made some really broken spots (wallbanging pixel spot to stairs or a connector on mirage). You can even wallbang CT spawn from Upper Mid on dd2. They changed the dd2 doors to make it so it takes 4 AK headshots to kill someone thru penetration as well.

Originally HPE developed CSGO and shat all over it, and it almost died. So what did Valve do? They implement a sketchy as fuck money making simulator (making knives super rare on purpose to increase the price of them, therein making them WAYYYY more money because uncrating them is super hard and then selling them they take a huge profit). Their balance changes are out of whack, they make maps and don't ask pros to test them competitively. They open up a pro-only feedback forum and don't give a rats ass about it.

There are at tops, 5~10 people working on CSGO. This is the second most played game on Steam and has about 1/3 the Unique Players as Dota 2 despite being a game that requires you to purchase a copy, while Dota 2 is F2P.

They enforce 64 tic servers on Matchmaking despite calling it "Competitive." Citing that "most players play at 40 fps anyway, so they wouldn't notice"
They asked server providers like White Pinion Label to host Casual servers, and WPL ends up putting adware on their MOTDs and giving people fucking viruses.

And to top it off what have they done for the community servers? Nothing, lol. They lie to the community and say they were going to ship out Zombie Mod/Zombie Escape with launch, and never do it. They make gungame/demolition/arms race maps recycled from L4D2 campaigns (im not kidding.). And they don't even make new content aside from a ported map or two every 1 yr. The community does ALL the work in making this game successful and even then the community just shits out more piss poor competitive maps. Look at Operation Breakout's map lists. insertion is a Battlefield map, Mist is so bad that T's can get a plant down before CTs can even get to B site. Blackgold looks great but has WAYYY too many angles. And then there's fucking Overgrown which is probably the only good one there.
bh :) wrote:Honestly, I think the whole mapping/modding scene for valve games is pretty much dead. With the introduction to vpks making it incredibly hard to mod, the introduction of sv_pure settings (though obviously necessary) and the lack of a Hammer update or even the mention of the word func_vehicles I think Valve realizes they don't really need people like Nipper anymore to sell product, because it sells on it's own.

As for CS:GO I like and don't like it. For starters, it's really hard to find active US pubbing communities in 1.6, it's a lot of foreigners now. CS:S I never liked. CSGO has really shitty gameplay, but the matchmaking system is fucking amazing, and with the updates to Source TV and the like, I think CSGO might be something important within the next 2 years in terms of pro gaming.
Like I said, CSGO would be a decent pro scene game because Valve pushed it so far out of their ass. They asked organizers to switch to CSGO from 1.6/Source because they wanted people to play it for the skin drops. They started PAYING TOURNAMENT ORGANIZERS TO PLAY THEIR GAME.
Hoodedsniper wrote: Like you said Dota 2 custom map making will probably be good, but maybe not, they might make a shitty map maker like the baby portal one and that might make them not have a Hammer for Dota 2, a new hammer at that, since they spent all that time on the friendly one.

Dota 2 will need to let you have FULL control over every single spell, effect, heroes, items, and variables for all of those.
Here's the best part: Dota 2 modding and custom maps are out. Did Valve make an SDK? Nope. This shit was ALL DONE THROUGH THE COMMUNITY. There is no server browser. You have to manually do a connect through console. There's Pudge Wars, Tower Defense, etc. Valve has done absolutely fucking nothing to help anyone make custom content. All they care about is their workshop and making money off of it.

And now that's all the community cares about too. People are making piss poor maps, piss poor textures, etc in hopes of making a quick buck off Steam. People are fucking stealing illustrations from Deviantart and slapping them on a goddamn gun and making $1000's (M4A4 | Howl, Void Timebreaker). Take a look at the workshop these days, look at the comments. All that people are doing is posting "Epic valve pls add this xD" and "Hey nice skin you should take a look at my skins." They're contacting popular streamers, popular competitive teams, popular sites, etc to boost their page count on their workshop items.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=

Seriously, attach a fucking pro players name to an item, and have him sell it out and he takes a cut and they all make money. Not to mention people are viewbotting streamers, botting the workshop to upvote the ones they want to make money and downvoting the ones that are competiting.

Obviously the pro of this is that 1) content creators make money 2) popular people make money 3) players get items/make money 4) valve makes money
but look at Valve in this equation: They are making fucking BANK off other people's work, for their minimum work, and not putting a fucking DIME back into it. Look at the Dota 2 stretch goals. Valve has pocketed $30 million USD from this year's tournament alone. Do you think it has cost them $30 million to host each tournament every year (discounting the compendium from last year, mind you), and make those stetch goals. Fuck no.

Valve is by far the most profitable video game company in the world now. What do they do anymore? Cause they sure as shit don't make video games

tldr: im really butthurt that valve sold out the community to make a lot of money, and then never put that money back into it

i mean honestly, valve gave so much little shits about CS that they OUTSOURCED THE GAME TO ANOTHER COMPANY. What more proof do you need to realize that Valve doesn't respect why CS was a good and popular game. They instead used the popularity of money to sell CSGO. CSGO isn't good, it's not nearly as competitive, it's just where the money is at. Valve doesn't respect the players anymore, as evidenced by the shit they've pulled these last couple months on CS.
Last edited by bh :) on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:14 pm

bh :) wrote: "Hey nice skin you should take a look at my skins."
Ha! this is what almost all the comments I've received so far on de_haunts are
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:37 am

If you don't want to discuss Counter Strike, you should probably not post in here.
510 Baud One

Post by 510 Baud One » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:03 pm

bh :) wrote:...[truncated quote]

i mean honestly, valve gave so much little shits about CS that they OUTSOURCED THE GAME TO ANOTHER COMPANY. What more proof do you need to realize that Valve doesn't respect why CS was a good and popular game. They instead used the popularity of money to sell CSGO. CSGO isn't good, it's not nearly as competitive, it's just where the money is at. Valve doesn't respect the players anymore, as evidenced by the shit they've pulled these last couple months on CS.

Damn, that was long but worth reading. Makes me sad/upset.

I just got to deal with it, like you said, all the good things (of what is actually good) are driven by the community not Valve, Counter-Strike itself was created by community members of Half-Life, not Valve.

I hope Nipper continues to have passion for making maps like he has the last 12+ years. I will make as many quality maps I can also. I also hope the Joe.to community supports/is willing... to continue playing CS:S and CS:GO. Not really interested in playing with any other gamer community.
510 BauD OnE

(]~_~[) (Listening to mp3s)

Steam Profile

“Everything you want is on the other side of fear.”
-Jack Canfield