How do we make CS:JO more popular and consistently played?

Discussion for all Counter-Strike titles - csgo.joe.to
Sanvich Hoovy

How do we make CS:JO more popular and consistently played?

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:46 pm

So now that I'm no longer swamped in schoolwork 24/7 I've been trying to get people back into CS:JO. I'm hoping to get it back to the nightly playerbase we had on old servers like tf4 or css way back when. But even when we were playing fairly regularly in early January, we had 2 major problems :
  • Getting people to play without being invited/ or starting an event in the steam group
This one I think will be solved once we get a large enough consistent playerbase, who know to hop on every night. But until then, I've been encouraging people to start CS:JO nights since I still can't be on every night.
  • Attracting new players
Now that we finally have a server, we should really try to get some new blood in here. Whenever we play CS:JO the split between people I recognize, and people I don't is around 90% vs. 10%, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially at this stage, but the question remains: How do we make sure people who play on the server and enjoy it stick around? I bet the guy in that post a week ago has already forgotten about us, because there's nothing on the server that would draw people to the larger community. As a bare minimum we should put in some sm_advertisements with links to the joe.to homepage, our forums, and our mumble channel.

Other than the basic fixes I outlined, what are some ways we can make this server successful?
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Re: How do we make CS:JO more popular and consistently playe

Post by mbaxter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Add strangers who join us as steam friends! Invite them to the group, invite them personally to events.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:25 pm

mbaxter wrote:Add strangers who join us as steam friends! Invite them to the group, invite them personally to events.
^

If a player you get along with adds you you'll be likely to come back to the server they're frequenting. It's why I stuck around here in the first place, Nightwolf added me first time I played TF3.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:08 am

fwiw, I found out about tf4 (and j2 as a whole) through some random comment on /r/tf2. I don't really go on the csgo subreddit, so I'm not sure if advertising is kosher or not, but that could be a useful avenue.
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:11 am

I don't think that would go over well. Pretty much everybody on /r/GlobalOffensive/ only cares about comp anyway.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:43 am

Also inviting people those of us who play in comp meet in comp would be nice. I have about 6 or 7 I've met from comp that I always invite.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Inviting people is important, but we have things working against us. First, people give tooooo many shits about experience and climbing the rank ladder in casual even though it means nothing except a pretty looking gun or bragging (about having no life) rights. The next is that people who actually do go to the server browser are going to have different server search habits. Personally I sort servers with a map filter and then player count. I am not positive but I would assume most people would either search by hostname and/or ping (or use a ping filter) so having a low ping is vital to getting randoms to join.
One thing I noticed back on CS:S is that we never, ever, ever, ever EVER had a random join our server, literally for years. That's a flaw in Source, it has to be. There's no way after all our CS:S nights that we never had a non-j2 person or non-invited person join via the server list. We had a problem back in CS 1.6 that was related to our ip which made it so our server didn't get populated on the master list. I doubt that's still happening since we've changed servers and ip's several times over, but our hostname is certainly nowhere near the top of the list. Usually it was our low ping that got people joining.
The server maintaining a consistent playerbase is also crucial to a returning crowd. I don't know how to work on this, we need the crowd to be our playerbase but we're basically starting off at scratch here. This is why inviting people and playing regularly is very important, but even if we do that - then we are still not guaranteed a lot of randoms because people aren't attracted to our server for various reasons:
Frequently empty
Non-exciting mods
Hostname is bland
Maps are unique, people don't want to learn them (they'd rather play what they know and have to be eased in to the custom maps unless they're children)