Custom Map Request Thread - PLEASE READ FIRST POST

The dumping ground for all joe.to garbage posts in an effort to keep the rest of the forums neat and tidy. All posts originated in another forum.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Re: Custom Map Request Thread - PLEASE READ FIRST POST

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:45 pm

tf4.joe.to
cp_monopod
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=14871
regular settings

3 point a/d, very pretty looking. worth a shot
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 pm

tf4.joe.to
cp_orange2
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5466
Regular settings

an orange map that isn't total shit! has objects to break up crazy sniper sightlines, as well as NOT USING THE GOD DAMNED DEV TEXTURES. DID I MENTION LESS INSANE SNIPER SIGHTLINES
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:06 pm

A Ninja wrote:This has been bugging me for quite a while despite someone saying it was fixed. Currently the end of map vote has no limit on the number of nominations people can make, which often results in there being 2 pages of options for the next map vote. It would be really nice to set a limit to say, 4 or 5 options to keep the vote from being spread across too many maps.
dmitri ravinoff wrote:can we get a runoff vote system added? I've seen this on other servers and it's so fucking useful. no more will we have winning votes that have fucking 33% of the vote. I think it will lead to better/more popular maps being chosen instead of some fringe candidate map winning
The discussion of reduced vote options and the possible addition of a "random map" option have come up many times in the past. I like to save references to these types of discussions for quick access whenever it comes up again. Here is my last post regarding these issues, with relevant links...
Parasyte wrote:We asked for this years ago...and again not as many years ago...then a couple times last year...and once more this year....

Going out on a limb here, but I don't think it's gonna happen. This is just a small part of the larger map-vote issue and all of it has already discussed to death, resuscitated, then discussed to death again.

If we are going to go through this conversation again, let's at least use one of the existing threads to continue the discussion.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Parasyte, those were some useful links, thank you

what if we

* implemented the runoff system built into the rtv plugin?

* did something useful with the map ratings?

* made some sort of "featured maps" category to highlight lesser played maps? we could just add another map category with 5-6 lesser-seen maps, and change it once a week. I feel like there are a ton of maps that people are afraid to nominate because they don't know if it's good or bad. by specifically setting aside good maps that need more playtime, we would see some new blood instead of the same old same old.

* got rid of some of the overplayed maps for a couple of weeks? getting rid of them will ensure that we see some new blood

also, is there an up to date list of tf4's maps? the one in the OP is from 10/2013...
Da_man
Party Hard!

Post by Da_man » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:16 pm

dmitri ravinoff wrote:* implemented the runoff system built into the rtv plugin?
We actually have the UltimateMapChooser thing already on the server. Its buried in the admin menu, so no one uses it. I only found out about it last night while I was fucking around.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 pm

dmitri ravinoff wrote:* implemented the runoff system built into the rtv plugin?
This was originally turned on, but nobody liked the extra vote, so it was dropped.
dmitri ravinoff wrote:* did something useful with the map ratings?
They actually are being used. When picking maps to fill slots when there aren't enough rtv's, the maps are weighted according to the maprate plugin.
dmitri ravinoff wrote:* made some sort of "featured maps" category to highlight lesser played maps? we could just add another map category with 5-6 lesser-seen maps, and change it once a week. I feel like there are a ton of maps that people are afraid to nominate because they don't know if it's good or bad. by specifically setting aside good maps that need more playtime, we would see some new blood instead of the same old same old.
Maybe, not sure if that would help much.
dmitri ravinoff wrote:* got rid of some of the overplayed maps for a couple of weeks? getting rid of them will ensure that we see some new blood
I like this.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:22 am

Perhaps we could clear all the map ratings? I imagine after years of ratings feelings change and old users become irrelevant. Plus it seems to me that terrible maps get put up all the time (in my opinion).
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:46 am

Eviltechie wrote:
This was originally turned on, but nobody liked the extra vote, so it was dropped.
can we try it again?
Eviltechie wrote:
dmitri ravinoff wrote:* did something useful with the map ratings?
They actually are being used. When picking maps to fill slots when there aren't enough rtv's, the maps are weighted according to the maprate plugin.
[/quote]

oh neat-o. I agree with spongebobby, maybe wiping them? also, would it be possible for them to be visible in the rtv menu?
Eviltechie wrote:
dmitri ravinoff wrote:* made some sort of "featured maps" category to highlight lesser played maps? we could just add another map category with 5-6 lesser-seen maps, and change it once a week. I feel like there are a ton of maps that people are afraid to nominate because they don't know if it's good or bad. by specifically setting aside good maps that need more playtime, we would see some new blood instead of the same old same old.
Maybe, not sure if that would help much.
I could do the legwork of picking out maps, etc, all you would have to do would be to create a folder once a week. the maps would already be uploaded, so no uploading needed
Eviltechie wrote:
dmitri ravinoff wrote:* got rid of some of the overplayed maps for a couple of weeks? getting rid of them will ensure that we see some new blood
I like this.
[/quote]

I think we need to get rid of:

* rooftime
* upward (I love it, but let's see some new blood)
* badwater (same)
* goldrush (spam fest)
* dustbowl
* metropolis? maybe?

idk what other maps
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 pm

dmitri ravinoff wrote:I think we need to get rid of:

* rooftime
Ha, you're silly
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:38 pm

overplayed maps are overplayed for a reason. if you get rid of overplayed maps you better replace them with maps as equally fun and well liked, or be prepared to see a dead server.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:22 pm

tf4.joe.to
pl_barnblitz_pro4
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5439
Regular settings

a version of barnblitz that's so much better! more routes to things and less chokey.