How to Contact Joe?

The dumping ground for all joe.to garbage posts in an effort to keep the rest of the forums neat and tidy. All posts originated in another forum.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Re: How to Contact Joe?

Post by Chaos Wake » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:56 pm

chshrkat wrote:Hi KoD. :D

That's a great SS. Still after my time a hair though. When I was a regular user, there were no such pretty front ends. Hehe. I still love PuTTy for all my ssh and telnet needs ;) Although the errors and crashes were generally just as humorously caused. Damn the janitor. ;)

I think its just awesome what grew from that little gang of supernerds. And the fact that you're reproducing! Hehe. I read somewhere here that the domain disappears sometime in 2015. I sure hope that isn't the end of it. Not after all this. One of you kids find Joe or fight to the death to buy it when the time comes...

And p.s. if dsp is lurking plz pm. :)

Fight the good fight, gents.
Still after your time!?!?!? ARE YOU SHITTING ME. Incredible, you were in real telnet. Some serious 90s vapor aesthetic.

Hell yeah though, I'm similarly glad that joe.to is still chugging along after my 10 years gone, but it looks you've been gone maybe 17+ years. I didn't really realize the community aspect of this site was so ancient. I think I always assumed the community grew out of the forum but I was obviously mistaken haha.

The domain I have no idea what people are going to do about, I guess that's up to the senior administration. To be honest having a Tongan domain to be honest is a little weird(especially because I've never met a Tongan here) but I'd still rather not lose JOE's name you know. It wouldn't be the end of the community of course, by no means. I've seen similar things happen to other sites and nothing much really came of it except a url change.

Hopefully something can be done about it though, I'm not sure if there's an army of people wanting a Joe.to domain or scarcely anyone.

Then again there's the risk of it getting bought up by a company(a coffee company?) that might just sit on it. Think of how badly some gross neocolonial Coffee Company would want to use some bad "Get a cup of Joe" joke with a domain who's national source is part of their coffee empire. Or hell, they might buy it and never even use it like happens so often.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:02 am

Anybody can add more years to the domain. https://www.tonic.to/renewal.htm
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:13 am

Tonic.to wrote:100 years at 25.00/yr
holy fuck
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:07 am

"The name joe.to expires on
Tue Jun 23 18:36:17 2015"

Shit we got less than a year. GG guys.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 am

Lets just add a couple of dollars to the monthly server cost until we get enough to renew for 5-10 years
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:Lets just add a couple of dollars to the monthly server cost until we get enough to renew for 5-10 years
Hell yeah, though we could go for 100 years(and pay 25) and just let that shit expire when the apocalypse happens.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:59 pm

I had been thinking of installing a BBS or something as an April fools joke. Do you know of any that still work these days? Preferably open source?
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Post by Posts » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:01 pm

mbaxter wrote:Anybody can add more years to the domain. https://www.tonic.to/renewal.htm
Looks like someone took care of it by adding 5 years:
Domain: joe.to
Expires on: Tue Jun 23 18:36:17 2020
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:39 am

Posts wrote:
mbaxter wrote:Anybody can add more years to the domain. https://www.tonic.to/renewal.htm
Looks like someone took care of it by adding 5 years:
Domain: joe.to
Expires on: Tue Jun 23 18:36:17 2020
I was inspired by Eviltechie's experiences in domain renewals.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:31 pm

2020 cheers for mbaxter!

Hip hip!
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:37 pm

hooray
sureshot-

Post by sureshot- » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:46 pm

To chshrkat or kat:

Nice to hear from some old old timers. I knew joe from the late 90s, or a couple of years after your first interaction. I suspect that since you were doing spacebar, you actually met him for the first time at one of the physical spacebar meetings, is that correct? So you knew him in real life too and hanged out in the 90s?

To the site admins:

About the joe.to domain name. It's interesting to notice that the Tonga registry allows for any non-contractual parties to contribute towards the yearly fees of someone else's domain name. Does any of the site admins or anyone else other than joe actually have the information/passwords/access to alter the domain properties and DNS linkages, or is that joe is still marked as the owner? If no one else has access to DNS linkage than joe, then the admins or possible bidders for extra years should be careful of not to buy into too distant future to anticipate the possible need to change DNS linkage, unknown technological changes, or other critical changes in properties sometime in the future. What I mean, is that if you buy it for 20 years and do not control the properties at all, something could theoretically happen that would make the site stop working due to bad linkage x years from now before that 20 years is up. If x would be 7, then the site could be inoperable starting from that point for a period of 13 years. Just a thought.

To the rest of you and any possible future visitors to this post:

UPDATE ON THE SEARCH:

:lecture: IMPORTANT NOTE: This community is fundamentally a gaming community and as such it is periodically flushed with new hoards of kids wanting to connect while playing games that the people on this site play at any given point in time. Most games here are violent, so violence is probably not something foreign to the gamers of this community. Still, being that this discussion revolves around a real person and real events, young children might have difficulty of regulating their emotions in an appropriate way and might feel distressed about certain aspects of reality. Therefore, I do not recommend that anyone who is very sensitive emotionally or an inappropriately young person as to not have the mental facilities to comprehend and regulate emotions, would read past this point. The reason for this is that I'm going to be extremely blunt.

In Summary: If you are a sensitive or young person, please do not read any further.

The situation is that all of the leads have dried up. joe has intentionally completely disappeared. All prior information and signs point to a scenario that joe is dead. He is likely in pieces of bones and skull partly covered by dirt and/or foliage somewhere in the desert or the mountains.

If anyone has information to contradict this conclusion, please come forward and private message me or use other means (remember to respect sensitive information of parties involved if using a public medium).

I would like to add to this my own thoughts. In my opinion joe was a remarkable person in the scale of all humanity. joe was very lucky in some aspects of his life and incredible things happened to him. Then again, in many other aspects he was very unlucky. In essence, you could make a Hollywood movie out of his life, and no one would believe it really happened. The greatest pitfall of joe was that he was a wise man. I don't mean quick wits or great memory, which is not that special. Being wise, is something beyond being smart. It's about understanding how the world works that is about understanding how systems operate and which is what and why. Analyzing things, and never quitting on that analysis. In essence he was a curious mind reading intensively and while doing so living in his own brain, but still exploring the world. The world of thoughts and thinking. However, the classic problem of being even a moderately seasoned person is that you see the world how it really is: a stupid and sad place that is completely meaningless. Obviously, with this revelation it is very difficult for any wise yet caring individual to remain upbeat in this vulgar environment. And joe was never upbeat. Though, in spite of these things, he tried to pursue a happy life for himself and sometimes almost succeeded, even for brief moments in time, but maybe those moments were just not enough. Then again, you could say it all comes down to money too. If someone would have funded joe to read his books, drive his porsche, play his games, and to explore his inner thoughts in solitude for several decades, then I would have seen few problems for him to live for a very long time and die of old age. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It says a lot about the value base of the culture and most cultures of the world in which hobo joes exist and most people strive every day of their existence. It is common to these cultures and societies that the people are instilled with resolve and determination at birth and/or later on in life, in order to sustain through adversity, which was perhaps something that never transpired in joe's early life or something that he later refused to accept. As joe could have known that it was the very nature of this instilling process to come with an enormous price, maybe the highest price that there is. When someone pays that price, it makes them harder or less caring. But the worst part of it is that if that someone pays the price, then that person will not even get to learn the existence of the price concept. At the end of it all, I would like to believe that joe knew that price very well. Perhaps, precisely. And if you really think about it, then maybe and only just maybe, you can see that this thing alone made him kinder and gentler than most machine gun hands.

hopefully not a final message on this matter and hopefully not the truth,
sureshot 510 of the bay area forever
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:03 pm

sys wrote:Replies should be as respectful as possible. If you disagree with a post, or think it's irrelevant, either take the time to explain why or don't reply at all. Quote trains, images with no text (unless it's very clearly relevant and non-trolling), and short obnoxious comments are unacceptable for this forum.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Sureshot,

We aren't too worried about losing the domain down the road or anything like that. Joe.to will be around for quite a while :)

In regards to the rest, that's great that you think that highly of joe, the guy really did do a lot of good stuff with bringing people together and creating this community. I doubt he is dead, as Avvatar said earlier, joe disagreed with certain things in the community and decided it was time to let it be. Who knows maybe he will return down the road, I find it unlikely though. In the mean time, I'd let the issue rest and focus on more constructive things.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 am

sureshot- wrote:joe has intentionally completely disappeared.
Derp.