What Series are you currently watching?

discussions on the Japanese art form (note: no hentai!)
DiabeticDugong

Re: What Series are you currently watching?

Post by DiabeticDugong » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:15 am

Eviltechie wrote:I might just start watching Rail Wars soon.
i saw the first ep it wasnt anything great but that being said iv only watched the first ep

i highly recommend what i call terrorist anime

http://myanimelist.net/anime/23283/Zankyou_no_Terror

its by the same guy that did coyboy bebop, Space dandy, and Samurai Champloo
FM113
Scientific Engineer
<b><font color=#ff0000>Scientific Engineer</font></b>

Post by FM113 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 am

A little late, but I'm watching Usagi Drop. My god... words fail to describe how cute this anime is.
kingfishy419 wrote:reece no i dont i want my shit back though i got it legit and i want it back.

No matter who you are, no matter where you are, you're welcome here.
Putting mirrors in the sun for everyone fighting on the dark side; yelling: long live diversity.
Denmark
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 am

MOTHERFUCKIN SAMURAI FLAMENCO

FLAMENKIIIIIIICK
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 pm

No Game No Life, and Sword Art Online 2.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
DoggyHound

Post by DoggyHound » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 pm

It ain't over yet!

Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:24 am

I just finished watching Kill la Kill, and I'm not sure I could sit though another season. It just got too repetitive. Transform, yell, monolog, transform again, another monolog, whoops, I'm invincible.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

prolix

Post by prolix » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 am

Eviltechie wrote:I just finished watching Kill la Kill, and I'm not sure I could sit though another season. It just got too repetitive. Transform, yell, monolog, transform again, another monolog, whoops, I'm invincible.

typical shounen story. prob reason i can't get into gurren lagann, too much recycle going on in story etc.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:17 am

All the hype for kill la kill is just ???

I saw like three episodes and was like wow that's garbage

I mean I really like the art style and the cool transformations and art and shit but if I have to sit through the actual show to see it I won't
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:49 am

Kill la kill is strictly a popcorn shounen. It's got all the insane fights you'd expect from a shounen, but with all that lovable goofiness you'd expect from trigger. The experience you have with KLK is based heavily on who you watch it with, if you watch it alone and look at it critically it's pretty shit, but I on the other hand watched it with my friend and we just made dick jokes the whole time and loved it, though we agreed it wouldn't be worth a second watch.

Gurren, on the other hand, is a show that takes the formula i explained before, but multiplied tenfold. It makes the bold decision to kill off a main character (not spoiling who) early on, and from then on you feel actual tension in the fights since anyone could die. Plus the writers decided to up the stakes every single episode, instead of every season like most shounen.

In a typical shounen, what's usually at stake in a given fight progresses like this
I have to save my friends>I have to save my friends but now there's more> I have to save EVEN MORE FRIENDS> etc. until he has befriended the entire planet and therefore must save the world.

In KLK, it goes I must avenge my father> I must avenge my father and protect my friends> I must avenge my father qnd protect my friends and save a bunch of other schools> etc. until she saves the world.

Meanwhile, gurren's laughing because by about 2/3s of the way in they've already saved the planet like 3 times and are fighting the fucking moon.

What sets Gurren lagann and Kill la kill apart from the rest, though, is that they acomplish these things all in about 26 episodes, with other shounen going on for hundreds and hundreds. All in all, grab some friends and watch one of em, they're both solid, but gurren lagann is still leagues ahead
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:51 pm

narwal wrote:All the hype for kill la kill is just ???

I saw like three episodes and was like wow that's garbage

I mean I really like the art style and the cool transformations and art and shit but if I have to sit through the actual show to see it I won't

Uh, kill la kill has strong commentary on historical militarism in like every episode, plus the show is hilarious its very fun to watch.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 pm

its awful
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
prolix

Post by prolix » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 am

I rather watch bleach filler bount arc *shudders*
jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:06 pm

dantesus wrote:No Game No Life
Finished this one a couple days ago and I really liked it. One of the things I loved the most was the sheer intelligence of the two main characters, and the way they balanced each other out.
Now people are telling me to read/watch Deathnote, so I'll probably do that too.
Django wrote: Uh, kill la kill has strong commentary on historical militarism in like every episode, plus the show is hilarious its very fun to watch.
Oh, and this.
"Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."
"You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then, will your true self reveal itself."
Maha

Post by Maha » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I can't seem to get into any of the current series of anime.

Attack on Titan was overhyped beyond imagining for me

I got to episode 12 of Kill la Kill and just stopped. Not that it was bad, just when I stopped I never felt like watching it again.

Sword Art Online just made me wanna go watch/play .hack instead.

So now I'm just jumping between watching Dragonball, Hajimi no Ippo, and One Piece all while rereading Deadman Wonderland.

I know, I'm a filthy Shonen loving whore.
prolix

Post by prolix » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:15 pm

hajimi no ippo is pretty good, i haven't tried the "new" rendition of it yet but it looked good.