Warhammer 40k 6th edition.

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Magnus

Warhammer 40k 6th edition.

Post by Magnus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 am

Anyone else play the table top game / exited for the new edition?

I'm pretty sure not many people here play or have played 40k before. If you have it would be interesting if you pop in and tell us what armies you play/played.

I have two armies, an Imperial Guard army whose standard tactic is to throw billions of men at something until it falls over and dies... maybe.:

Imperial Guard
Image Image

If that doesn't work usually they crunch a few numbers, run some stats and figure out if what they are throwing men at is worth it. If it is they usually call in the Space Marines, if not they just nuke it from orbit along with everyone on the ground. Don't worry though, you get a medal!

Tyranids
The other is Tyranids, which I don't play much of any more, but their whole deal is to eat everything. They are like Imperial Guard in that they have also have billions of mindless killing machines, except they want you deader. And to eat you:

Image Image

Usually once a Tyranid invasion starts it is actually easier to bathe the planet with nukes and kill the population inhabiting the planet than try to fight on the ground.

Shooting nukes at stuff is kind of the standard operating procedure for the Imperium.

In fact, they made a flow chart to determine when to use one.

"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Re: Warhammer 40k 6th edition.

Post by Django » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:43 am

REPORTING FOR DUTY ,SIR !

Sorry no, i do not play the table top games. I just wanted to make people aware of how fucking cool the video games are
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:15 am

That big ol Tyranid looks terrifying :[
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Yeah, those Carnifex's are kind of a bitch.
I would say that the other ones which shoot leeches that bore into you and sever your major arteries are probably worse.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"J2 I am disappoint."
HAJIBADA

Post by HAJIBADA » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Is it fun?
mbaxter wrote:You are apparently mentally challenged, and for that I am sorry
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 pm

The tabletop game?

Yeah, I really enjoy it.
"J2 I am disappoint."
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:57 pm

ima be starting a tabletop club here at my university, itll be my first exposure to warhammer 40k.

any recommendations?
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:26 am

For sure, if its 40k I definitely recommend reading up on the different armies first and listen to as many people that aren't Games Workshop dudes. They will probably tell you to play Space Marines, because that's what they are told to try and push, even if you don't have an interest in them.

For many people, they pick an army which sounds badass, then they realize they don't really mesh well with their play style so watch a few games and ask to use some armies before you put some money down. It is a VERY expensive hobby, you don't wanna get too much and realize you hate playing them.

In general there are two major types of armies. Shooting and Combat.

Shooting is as it sounds, your army has an emphasis on doing most of their damage at range.
Combat is the opposite, your goal is to try and get in close combat.

Of the shooting armies, there are a few different types, the "Gunline" which is as it sounds, basically sitting back and blowing everything to hell. However you can imagine that you are VERY susceptible to getting assaulted in close combat, and you do very poorly at it.

Imperial Guard (what I play) and Tau follow this doctrine, they have excellent range, but poor close combat ability.

Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Space Marines (Blood Angels and Grey Knights chapters) excel at close combat.

Those two types of armies are more or less polar opposites of one another. One of the most exciting matches are between Imperial Guard (VERY squishy but very good at shooting) and Tyranids (Very poor shooting but OH GOD the CLAWS!) because the IG player is frantically trying to shoot the insane number of bugs running at them, and the Nids player is running as fast as he can to get his guys in close combat.

In between those kinds of armies are Orks, Eldar, Chaos, Frostwolves take a middle ground where they have units good at shooting and good at close combat.

My best advice is to go and actually see armies fielded on a table and go with the one that really speaks to you. One that you would enjoy loosing with really. Remember, playing is the end result, getting your shit painted and looking good is a good portion of it too.
"J2 I am disappoint."
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 am

Here is some of my stuff.

Image Image
Image Image

"J2 I am disappoint."
Blathersby

Post by Blathersby » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 pm

I play the table-top original Warhammer but I have a few 40k because space marines are cool.
I do love the video games though and Space Marine was great.
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I found the Space Marine game very bland and uninteresting. Considering they have so much source work to go off of it depresses me that they copped out.

Considering the amount of codex and doctrines you can choose from, the different styles of Marine combat tactics, having two uncontrollable AI marines that only shoot at a distance and not being able to customize their loadout was ridiculous.

Personally I want them to make a game centered on Imperial Guard, with a play style like Brothers in Arms where you could control squads of men. Playing as a Kasrkin special operations team or the Elysian Drop Troop Regiment would be baller as fuck.
"J2 I am disappoint."
Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm

I got an Eldar and an Ork.

Eldar can run vehicle heavy, shooty or cc, but they're pretty much always somewhat glass cannon. Have won in one turn though.

Since they ganked the close combat, there's no reason to use close combat orks anymore.

Haven't played much since 4th.

Also got a skaven army.
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 pm

looking into it, I think Dark Eldar would be my preferred army.

Any idea how much a typical army costs?
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:04 pm

How large? Usually you look at an army in terms of points cost. So a 1000 point army of dark eldar can run you from 350 - 600 dollars. It all depends what units you want to have, and how you want to play them.
"J2 I am disappoint."
Blathersby

Post by Blathersby » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 pm

I was part of games workshop like training summer fun thing awhile back and just slowly built my army up.
Probably have spent 500$ on things maybe more metal figures are so expensive.