Official Dota 2 beta thread - shit just got real

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
Blathersby

Re: Official Dota 2 beta thread - shit just got real

Post by Blathersby » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 pm

ive been playing a little more lately I found some pr0 players to teach me its quite fun Axe is one hero that I really like too.
Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Dota stats website relaunched

https://dotabuff.com/players/3575385
ja raul

Post by ja raul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:48 pm

ja raul

Post by ja raul » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

the international 2 just wrapped up with IG taking 1st over Na'vi (defending champs).

There were intense matches and a lot of big plays...
http://www.dota2.com/international/main ... champions/

will update with highlights/replays..
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:06 pm

ja raul wrote:will update with highlights/replays..
It's been over since last night. Pretty sure anyone who cares already knows. You could have waited until your post was ready.

Not to mention: "The play"

The highlight of the entire tournament is easy enough to locate.
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 am

I prefer this version because you can see Dendi's warcry IRL after he steals the ravage and gets it off :D
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:10 pm

My team captain wrote up a quick guide on hero roles for people that might be newer to DotA:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=366357

Note that the 1-5 system is not the only way to compose a team, and the actual development of the game does not consider this system when releasing new heroes or tweaking existing ones (unlike League from which I understand, heroes are specifically designed to fit certain roles such as jungler, solo top bruiser, AD carry, etc).

The main thing to take away from this short article is learning how a team is drafted and the priority for which heroes should be taking farm (last hits). It also gives you an idea of what items to get for fulfilling a certain role. The top priority farmers (1) often need to build items that help them get further ahead, such as Hand of Midas or Battlefury before moving on to damage items. Heroes who play the utility role (3/4) usually contribute most by using their abilities, which means they do not need to build items to provide damage and instead focus on teamfight support items such as mekanism (for healing), pipe (for magic immunity, usually necessary to go "high ground" which means to commit to a tier 3 tower push), drums, vlads (auras). The hard support hero (5) will often not get any big items at all and focus on consumables such as observer wards (provide vision on the map), sentry wards (reveal invisible units including enemy observer wards), town portal scrolls (for defending towers as well as their 1/2 heroes), smoke of deceit (usually for ganking), regen consumables, or a gem of tue sight.
ja raul

Post by ja raul » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 am

My stats at 300 wins
dotabuff stuff

similar to yours at this many w's? are you on a steady pace to do far better and if so is this your first moba or are you picking only 1 hero?

my top 7 played heroes are intelligence.. I tend to stick to picking support heroes because they are normally in team battles if positioned well or just have good map awareness, but mainly because I avoid to choose carries as they feel like too much responsibility to play a certain way (have bf before 30 mins, MUST shut down certain heroes), and tanks are sort of boring to play and I normally put a blinkstick on them..
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Pretty impressive win rates with your most played heroes. 60-70% win rate is actually really high. this means that if you stuck to playing only those heroes or got just as good at every other hero (easier said than done, obviously) you would move up substantially in MMR. It's hard to tell how you're progressing in skill with Dota because you will always have an overall 50% win rate, it's just an intrinsic property of the matchmaking algorithm.

On another note, my team just got picked up by MYi eSports, a small eSports team based in Ottawa. You can check out the announcement here. We've been competing in a few events recently, most notably SECS (Sunday Evening Cup Series, NADota tourney that's held weekly and casted by DotaliciousTV) and we're competing in the Alienware arena tournament casted by Purgegamers on October 3rd. I can post a stream link here before the match if anyone's interested.
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 am

MindFlayer wrote:On another note, my team just got picked up by MYi eSports, a small eSports team based in Ottawa. You can check out the announcement here. We've been competing in a few events recently, most notably SECS (Sunday Evening Cup Series, NADota tourney that's held weekly and casted by DotaliciousTV) and we're competing in the Alienware arena tournament casted by Purgegamers on October 3rd. I can post a stream link here before the match if anyone's interested.
Congratz man, and best of luck in the upcoming tournaments. I've always been interested in competitive e-sports, so this is really cool to see someone from this community making a splash.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Need to play more

6.75 Changelog: http://www.playdota.com/changelogs/6.75

Venomancer still amazing

ja raul

Post by ja raul » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm

congrats and i'll surely watch your matches if you let us know when a tourney is coming up.. maybe we need another thread for competitive play discussion..
if you make it to TI3 then i'll attend.. well im going to attend either way tbh whoooooooo
the guide on the 1-5 hero system is also an interesting read, it always amazes me how much depth this game has considering it came from the wc3 engine..

looking forward to the changes, and looking forward to more heroes being ported (techies mainly).

question: what is the hardest combo to deal with early game?
cm and jugg for one..

also:
Dr. Fisch
Wildcard

Post by Dr. Fisch » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 am

one of you dicks teach me how to play
If gay marriage becomes legal, are you worried that all of a sudden you'll start thinking about penis? "Oh shit. Gay marriage just passed. Gotta get me some of that hot dong action!" -Chris Kluwe on Emmett Burns
2014-02-28 17:25:33 RED *DEAD* Cursedbagel67 What, then ban me.
2014-02-28 17:25:44 BLU Cursedbagel67 Do it.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Dr. Fisch wrote:one of you dicks teach me how to play
Don't die. Don't abandon your teammates if fighting doesn't mean your death. Pro status.
Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Cool video Ja. I think the women's voices are better for some reason.

Team creation is out tomorrow. I know Submerge was super excited for that.