XCOM: Enemy Unknown

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Magnus

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Post by Magnus » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Avvatar wrote:I think the alternative would be for all the aliens to start in cover where they'd be harder to spot. I'm okay with them chilling out in the open and then scurrying for cover.
That or their scurry to cover move should be a movement/action. So they either can next turn, shoot, or move, but not both.

They need to be dynamic for sure, but not to the point of an unfair advantage.

Sectoid commanders are pretty fucking annoying, goddamn most of the time I'm suppressing my own guys.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:15 pm

shit you guys are making me REALLY want this
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Jager
Xfire: moot259

Post by Jager » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 am

My experience with sectoid commanders has been reveal them, walk up with my colonel snapshot sniper, shoot them until they're dead (double tap is the best), win the mission. Sectopods on the other hand are a pain. I'm fairly certain that disabling shot does work on them though, because when I hit one with a disabling shot the next turn he just sat there like he was "reloading" or whatever it is they have to do to get rid of disabling shot. I've been ignoring the foundry my entire game due to a lack of funding and a severe need for satellites and soldiers so now I'm starting to have some fun researching random foundry crap.
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 am

Woah, you can have snapshot and double tap? Idk, when I look at the -20 aim penalty it really puts me off.

Also, sectopods wtf man, those bitches get TWO shots AND an overwatch EVERY TURN!

If you ever get the chance OH GOD research Hover S.H.I.V. That thing is like THE best addition to any team hands down. On turn one you can Hover it like 5 spaces in the air AND move it twice. By that time you are in the center of the map and have complete vision. From there its a matter of moving into position. Since it is so high up everyone gets a horrible penalty trying to shoot it, unless you are incredibly unlucky it just turns into a big distraction for the enemy that they will never hit. More than that, if you have researched plasma cannons for the S.H.I.V. that thing does 10-15 damage per turn. The thing is a fucking POWERHOUSE.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"J2 I am disappoint."
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Magnus wrote:
Avvatar wrote:I think the alternative would be for all the aliens to start in cover where they'd be harder to spot. I'm okay with them chilling out in the open and then scurrying for cover.
That or their scurry to cover move should be a movement/action. So they either can next turn, shoot, or move, but not both.
I think you missed my point.
Don't think of it as them getting an extra move, think of it as them moving from where they were hanging out (just as a freebie to you so that you could easily spot them) to where they actually "should" have started. Of course when it's a Chryssalid you spot they have a tendency to run at you, invalidating this. But for the most part, the aliens dive straight for nearby cover and I don't have a problem with that.
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:29 pm

I see what your saying. Makes sense. There isn't really any other way I could think of doing it unless you could some how sneak up on them without using the battle scanner.
"J2 I am disappoint."
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Magnus wrote:I see what your saying. Makes sense. There isn't really any other way I could think of doing it unless you could some how sneak up on them without using the battle scanner.
Actually there are very rare occasions where you can see enemies in your line of sight and they don't immediately spot you and run to cover, but I've only had that happen once or twice.
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Exactly, I really enjoy getting the drop on aliens like that. I just wish it didn't feel like I'm glitching.
"J2 I am disappoint."
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:54 am

Contains stuff about ending
Don't look unless you want spoilers.

WOW I just had the most epic endgame battle ever, it was totally cinema worthy!

My party consisted of 2 snipers, the main shooter named 'Pharaoh' and has lived through an ungodly amount of shit, basically he is the last remaining soldier from the very beginning. NOT ONLY that but it turns out that he was psi-active and has been the ONLY one I found to possess psi powers in the game. A fucking legend.

The rest of the team was the other sniper, basically I brought him in when he was a squaddie, I liked to think of 'Pharaoh' grooming him in a weird imaginary way to Major Rank. Two support a Heavy and an Assault.

My team gets all the way to the helm of the ship, a little worse for wear and engage the Prime Ethereal.

The battle starts and he spawns a shit ton of elite Mutons, real bad news, I run my "Rookie" sniper up to a top ledge and have 'Pharaoh' shoot the two closest Elites, successfully drilling holes in both their skulls, SUPER cool.

End of the turn and all of a sudden the Prime Ethereal blows the shit out of my squad with a well placed rift. Kills my Heavy 'Nova' outright and she hits the floor already dead. Sends my one support 'Vita' into shock, bleeding out on the floor. What is left is 'Pharaoh' with 5 hp left, my Assault 'Septic' with 1 hp and my other support 'Smokes' left with 3. Of course the Ethereal mind controls my assault to add insult to injury.

"OH shit!" I think to myself, "How the fuck am I gonna fix this?" I decide to go for broke and blast that son-of-a-bitch Ethereal, I have 'Pharaoh' blast him with his double tap getting him under half. 'Smokes' also unloads on the Ethereal but only drops him 5 hp. Hes still got quite a bit left. The worst part of this was that my assault had reactionary shots the whole time, he managed to miss 'Pharaoh' and 'Smokes' next turn hes gonna kill one or the other. I'm in deep shit, I haven't even considered the other elites on their way next turn.

Then fucking "Rookie" mother fucking sniper takes a crack at it. I KNOW its good, because it does a slow-mo shot and you just see the fucking plasma bolt fly straight at the Ethereals head and blow it clean off. HOLY SHIT he LITERALLY just saved the day! SO EPIC!

Then it does the whole endgame cutscene and shit. WOW, I really couldn't have asked for a better ending to that game.
"J2 I am disappoint."
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:53 am

Magnus wrote:Contains stuff about ending
Don't look unless you want spoilers.
Oh man, a perfectly executed spoiler tag. Thanks, buddy. Getting too damned rare around here with whole posts being inside spoilers and whatnot.
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey man, just covering the bases. There are people out there who see black bars and mouse over them then bitch about shit being spoiled because they didn't know what was in them.
"J2 I am disappoint."
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:13 pm

:toot:
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Magnus wrote:There are people out there who see black bars and mouse over them then bitch about shit being spoiled because they didn't know what was in them.
Rightly so.
Derp
Xfire: mrpants259

Post by Derp » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Finally finished the game, decided to try out Impossible Ironman mode.

Tried 4 or 5 times, can't finish the first mission :disappointed:

I'll give it another go tomorrow haha.
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:53 am

Yeah, I actually just failed my classic ironman run because all of my decent guys bit it to various amounts of cheese and I kept going though rookies like butter.

It was bad.

Actually, the last mission I played, I was doing really well, was going to come out with a win and no losses. Then a cyberdisc gets revealed from behind a truck somehow managing not to be revealed until ALL of my soldiers had their back to it. Then it proceeded to rape my soldiers one by one, sending all my other soldiers in a panic so I could only effectively use one soldier at a time.

"J2 I am disappoint."