SimCity V

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Re: SimCity V

Post by scobywhru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Some people don't want a larger city, I am not one of them, and enjoy micro managing the way it is, it may very well be a good game I just can't see it being worth $60 with the DRM fiasco on launch day.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 am

Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 am

People actually defending Simcity in here.

This is buyers remorse if I have ever seen it.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:52 am

It just like diablo 3, the game is fine but the service is terrible.
Wait for it to be on steam or on sale... or pirate it, fight the power! :roll:

I just saved everyone 20+ posts in this thread, btw
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Django wrote:It just like diablo 3, the game is fine but the service is terrible.

Lol you think its going to be on sale anytime soon, even funnier you think it will ever be on steam.
scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 pm

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03 ... necessary/

Apparently always online is only there for DRM and to interact with other cities, not to do calculations.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Hoodedsniper wrote:
Django wrote:It just like diablo 3, the game is fine but the service is terrible.

Lol you think its going to be on sale anytime soon, even funnier you think it will ever be on steam.
Dude you underestimate the power of piracy, i'm pretty sure that by the end of the month a pirate version of it will be around.
Unless you are too much of a wooz to pirate games.

iceburn
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Django wrote:
Hoodedsniper wrote:

Dude you underestimate the power of piracy, i'm pretty sure that by the end of the month a pirate version of it will be around.
Unless you are too much of a wooz to pirate games.

iceburn
When did I say anything about it not being piratable?
Joejoe347

Post by Joejoe347 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 am

From reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... ne_forced/
Bullet points with recent modding discoveries:
  • Players have reverse engineered modding. Significant parts of the game's code is in Javascript.
    The game can be played without an internet connection indefinitely after modding. Can only stay in one city.
    SimCity has behavior for offline save handling. When offline, your city is saved and is uploaded to Origin the next time you go online. Offline mode seemed to be cut hastily.
    Debug tools were left open, allowing 'griefing' other people's cities by setting DEBUG=1.
    "Big maps" are referenced multiple times in the game's code. Possible DLC regions with big city plots? It's the only way they can increase the city size without breaking existing maps.
    Internal terraforming tools were discovered, but requires a special build of the game.
    Population numbers are faked / inflated - GetFudgedPopulation. chart - thanks fat_ugly_midget.
    After modding, you can play around outside 2km2 plot, and it saves syncs to the server.
    Latest patch has made package files read only, and disabled debug tools / the cheat console. (Confirm please, I do not own / will not support the game)
A reverse-engineered modding guide[5] was posted on /r/simcity[6] earlier today by /u/Plornt [7] . Locked terraforming tools1 were discovered too.
Thanks to the power of the internet, another user on reddit has being able to build highways outside the 2km2 plot, removing the fake population inflation2, and even being able to play the game without a connection to EA's servers. In the unmodded game, you will get kicked out after 20 minutes, but now it can be trivially patched to indefinitely. Server features like region play, and save/load handling are obviously not available.
Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comment ... /c8vbw6k[8]
Looking at the JS code posted on GitHub[9] , it certainly looks like confirmed the forced disconnect is totally implemented in Javascript and is client sided. This is a really sloppy implementation of always online "DRM".
This is indicative that offline support was hastily removed late during the development cycle. Possible EA/Maxis debate/internal conflicts?
1: Only developer builds could actually make use of terraforming, but the UI is there. It may be for internal use only (to sell new regions as DLC?), or just buggy / clunky.
2: The population displayed on the user interface becomes inflated after the first 500 sims. This is intentional and not a bug, as the function name is "GetFudgedPopulation". A 'million' population city only has 100,000 real agents.
TL;DR: SimCity kicks you out after 20 minutes of being disconnected from EA servers, JavaScript mod allows you to bypass this part of the DRM.
This is only some of the info, click to link to read all of it.
Mozart, dope for the most part.
-Insane Clown Posee

I AM THE MOJOE!!!
sgt.smith
Xfire: sgtsmith

Post by sgt.smith » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:48 am

I just reinstalled SimCity 4, I had a cd key, was able to get a steam version. Its 20 bucks on steam.
I jumped right in it, and realized how much bigger it is.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 am

What's everyone's names on Origin? I'd like to start up a j2 region.
Joejoe347

Post by Joejoe347 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:54 am

I'm mojoejoe347, I added you.
Mozart, dope for the most part.
-Insane Clown Posee

I AM THE MOJOE!!!
scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:04 pm

"And then they actually paid money for Simcity 5"

scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:01 pm

I particularly like the part where you can summon godzilla on other people's cities and watch it destroy it, or destroy it by deleting everything. That doesn't seem broken or rushed to market.