how to NOT get on the Locals

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Arranzu
The Black Samurai

Re: how to NOT get on the Locals

Post by Arranzu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 pm

stabbyclaus wrote:If anything, I'd like to embed a youtube video within the Motd that is small but explains FF, how not to spam/chat & how to be a respectful chatter. Just need to know if its cool and I'll get working on it. It'll feel like a inflight airline safety video.
That'd be more than easy if anything. Maybe put a password on the end of the video or somewhere randomly in it that they have to put in to actually close the motd somehow.
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Arranzu wrote:
stabbyclaus wrote:If anything, I'd like to embed a youtube video within the Motd that is small but explains FF, how not to spam/chat & how to be a respectful chatter. Just need to know if its cool and I'll get working on it. It'll feel like a inflight airline safety video.
That'd be more than easy if anything. Maybe put a password on the end of the video or somewhere randomly in it that they have to put in to actually close the motd somehow.
Naw no reason to flood the motd with unnecessary code, let alone we rely almost entirely on one person (bl4nk) to do that sort of programming. I like the 30 second hold idea but not if its gonna be a bitch to do. Shouldn't be if it's just HTML though.
Rat-morningstar wrote:dude, this might be shocking, but the night sky isn't a piece of cloth with holes in it
Scraw wrote:This. People think good sex just spontaneously happens like scripted events in a single player CoD mission.
In reality, the best sex results from good communication and planning; like a Rainbow 6 mission.
Arranzu
The Black Samurai

Post by Arranzu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah the 30 second hold works the same as most servers with ads in the motd. You just set it up to only close once the video is done or a certain amount of time has passed. I believe it's actually pretty simple
rockerboy
Pls luv me
<font color=#e900da><b>Pls luv me</b></font>

Post by rockerboy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Without a password or 30 second hold, just about all users would skip it. I think the 30 second hold would work best.
Also, it would cut down some of the new people. Most likely, the giant flood of new people will just go away because they're obviously too lazy to take 10 seconds to think if someone accidentally killed them.
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm all fine with new users ya'll, it's just a matter of explaining them the ethics to social online games. We shouldn't assume they know these things, especially if they are younger.
Rat-morningstar wrote:dude, this might be shocking, but the night sky isn't a piece of cloth with holes in it
Scraw wrote:This. People think good sex just spontaneously happens like scripted events in a single player CoD mission.
In reality, the best sex results from good communication and planning; like a Rainbow 6 mission.
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 pm

stabby, if you make an instructional video, I can narrate.
rockerboy
Pls luv me

Post by rockerboy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm all up for an instructional video. You're right that we shouldn't just assume these things. I'd be happy to help with an instructional video in anyway needed.
3 Ducks
High-Chancellor of Bread Crumbs

Post by 3 Ducks » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:03 pm

I'd love to volunteer my voice acting abilities to whatever instructional video might need it
Quack
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 am

hell I'm looking into voice acting so I can give it a shot.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Zash

Post by Zash » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 am

I think this is a wonderful time to come together and blame Lich King.
Arranzu
The Black Samurai

Post by Arranzu » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:42 am

Like how everyone is already offering voice acting and such. We gotta get the basis and such down first guys.
jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 am

rockerboy5 wrote: I'd be happy to help with an instructional video in anyway needed.

Arranzu wrote:We gotta get the basis and such down first
I'm good at creating dialogue and stuff like that. "Storyboard" and things.
"Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."
"You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then, will your true self reveal itself."
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am

Lets wait to see if it's something J2 would be interested in as I wouldn't blame the seniors for not wanting the MOTD to advertise Locals.
3 Ducks
High-Chancellor of Bread Crumbs

Post by 3 Ducks » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 am

Arranzu wrote:Like how everyone is already offering voice acting and such. We gotta get the basis and such down first guys.

That's obvious of course, but I'd like to help and that's one of the only skills I have that translates well to online projects. :okayasfuck:
Quack
rockerboy
Pls luv me

Post by rockerboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 am

I'd be happy to make a script for the scenes. I say we make a thread, and think it up.