Shadowrun Returns | Now available

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Haymakers9th

Shadowrun Returns | Now available

Post by Haymakers9th » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:11 am

Website

Steam Page

Shadowrun is a pen-and-paper RPG setting set in a future and is pretty fuckin neat because it mixes cyberpunk future with high fantasy elves/magic/beasts and stuff like that. It has seen RPG video games on SNES and Genesis, and some shooter on the 360 that everyone forgot about. The setting involves the world being all but ruled by a small group of mega-corporations, hackers ("deckers") jacking their mind into a worldwide "matrix" network, an awakening of magic and elves/trolls/dwarves, people trading information and secrets etc. As a Shadowrunner, you do odd less-than-legal jobs for anonymous bosses.

Last year, one of the original guys that worked on it licensed the IP back from Microsoft and opened a kickstarter to make a new top-down RPG. It's set to release July 25th, 2013.

via this dev post

The combat reminds me of the older Fallout games, they've also said they were a bit inspired by XCOM.
They're going to release a level editor with the game, it looks like it's going to be really in-depth and give you just about all the tools that the devs use (for triggers, etc) and they're encouraging people to write their own campaigns.

I really really liked the Genesis game when I was younger, and this game is shaping up to look really really nice. I backed the shit out of this kickstarter and I'm happy that I did.

Update: release date locked for July 25th
also, they made a better introduction page if you'd like to see the official what-is-this page on the game.

Update: Game is out! People are playing and liking it and making their own modules.
Last edited by Haymakers9th on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Re: Shadowrun Returns

Post by Django » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:05 am

niceeee
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Dr. Fisch
Wildcard

Re: Shadowrun Returns

Post by Dr. Fisch » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:03 am

ive had it backed and preordered since a while ago
very eager for the steam release
If gay marriage becomes legal, are you worried that all of a sudden you'll start thinking about penis? "Oh shit. Gay marriage just passed. Gotta get me some of that hot dong action!" -Chris Kluwe on Emmett Burns
2014-02-28 17:25:33 RED *DEAD* Cursedbagel67 What, then ban me.
2014-02-28 17:25:44 BLU Cursedbagel67 Do it.
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Re: Shadowrun Returns | July 25

Post by tehENEMY » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 am

bump

Made me a troll who specializes in punching things, fun so far.
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
Haymakers9th

Re: Shadowrun Returns | July 25

Post by Haymakers9th » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:54 am

just started for a little while, made a Dwarf Rigger, I run up and shoot faces with a shirtgun and then mind control a robot to shoot the same face, just about as badass as anything could get. I even have a bangin' beard. I see in the skill tree that eventually I could have a bunch of robots following me around shooting faces for me.

I always went Decker in the Genesis game, but I heard there wasn't enough matrix stuff in the main story, and Rigger sounded cool as hell (it is, so far). I'll see what matrix stuff is like when I get to it, and maybe if there are some nice community modules with lots of matrix then I'll deck some shit

When I'm nice and used to the game I'll have to try out that editor for myself, too.

I still just started but so far it's looking deliciously dialogue-heavy and it's rewarding me for investigating stuff. I've brought it up before, but combat reminds me of original Fallout, just less aged and less clunky. I noticed dialogue also does something I liked in Fallout and New Vegas, you get extra dialogue options depending on your stats, or perks, or "etiquette" (it's like a dialogue-relevant background, for example I picked "Security" and now I know things that someone who's worked in security would know).

Also, if you backed it, there's a code you can copy from the harebrained schemes website that you can plug into the game to unlock backer stuff in the game, I'm not entirely sure what at the moment, there was a fourth-wall-breaking ghost that talked about how he was writing himself talking about a story he wrote in a story he wrote. And then he gave me a grenade.
Steam
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
Zeno

Re: Shadowrun Returns | Now available

Post by Zeno » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:57 pm

I beat the SNES one back in the day. Is this a remake, a rethinking or a brand new game?
-Zeno McDohl (reseph@reddit), http://steamcommunity.com/id/zenoxio
Dark Souls matchmaking: http://www.darksoulsfind.org/ (PS duel me)
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Its a new game, though I think one SNES character makes an appearance.

Its an isometric RPG though, so its not anything like the 360 shooter if that's what you're worried about
Steam
Base

Post by Base » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 pm

I got this and dicked around in it for a few hours the other day. Was summarily very disappointed that you could not add new races or classes, can't even add new weapons and stuff. Some bullshit about being true to the lore... Yeah cuz that's fun!

The campaign it comes with is pretty fun but not being able to mod it when custom content is basically the entire point, just seems really backwards.
Yatta! wrote: *Probability of not fucking up the engine is correlated to the chance of M&Ms being in an M&M cookie, which are really fucking delicious, mind you.
http://gamepsyche.wordpress.com/ <--My blog.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER