New claim system - What do you think?

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

New claim system - What do you think?

Post by mbaxter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 pm

To allow for easier protection we're using the new Grief Prevention.

Think it's too limited? Think it's giving far too much to everyone?

Hate the commands? Love the commands?

Feel something isn't documented well enough?

Have ideas to improve the system?

Please post with any comments on the new system you have.
diego96
War-Chief

Re: New claim system - What do you think?

Post by diego96 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Well, my point of view is that, for a user, its actually useful since they are alloud to protect their own creations. Having the ability to protect thier property will coniderably lower the giref to the user creation. The amount of space someone can protect is ok, and if they keep playing we will earn more territory be able to protect more creations. So, in my opinion, the plugins is amaizing. :D
Nothing to see here.
RideTheWalrus
Butts.
<font color=#FF80BF><b><i>Butts.</i></b></font>

Post by RideTheWalrus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Eliminate the minimum size requirement.
Rayray25849

Post by Rayray25849 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Pros:
-Quick and easy
-Command to give permissions to others is short, before it was long and sometimes confusing
-Easy to resize claims
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cons:
-Minimum size requirement is sometimes annoying when making small claims
-Claims can't be removed, "griefers" can claim huge amount of land to take up space, suggest enabling /abandonclaim and give permissions to admins for /abandonclaim to any claim

Overall, this plugin is helpful, much more faster than before, although a couple of major downsides poses as a problem. (Ignore the cons if they already can be fixed)
Classy Pancakes

Post by Classy Pancakes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:22 pm

RideTheWalrus wrote:Eliminate the minimum size requirement.
This ^^ plus please allow us to abandon claims. Being a recent newbie myself, trying to figure out the land claiming is challenging and will be very offputting to new players if they screw it up once and can't redo.

Aggravating the no-abandon ability is the fact you can't "overlap" your claims. So even adding on to your first potentially screwed up plot can be extra frustrating when you're trying to connect up your claims and you end up just like 1 or 2 rows off.

Besides the mechanics, I am VERY grateful for the land-claiming system. Knowing my creations are protected keeps me motivated to build bigger and more interesting things :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Classy Pancakes <3 3 Ducks
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:43 pm

You can adjust the size of claims by using a gold shovel on the corners.

As for minimum size, I'll see about removing that.

The reason abandoning claims is disabled is to avoid a griefer claiming some land, ruining it, unclaiming the land, and then claiming more. If I turn on abandoning claims, I'll likely have to turn on the "delete everything when unclaimed" feature too. You can always ask an admin to remove a claim, and claims that aren't improved upon are eventually removed.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00 am

Just claimed some new land on the server yesterday, works great! You admins really put some thought into the latest creative server, it's very user friendly. Good job! :clap:

There were like 8 people online last night at 1AM. Is that when most people get on? It was nice to see some activity on the MC servers again. Hopefully this trend will continue... :)
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
Bknrules6

Post by Bknrules6 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:42 pm

mbaxter wrote:To allow for easier protection we're using the new Grief Prevention.

Think it's too limited? Think it's giving far too much to everyone?

Hate the commands? Love the commands?

Feel something isn't documented well enough?

Have ideas to improve the system?

Please post with any comments on the new system you have.
I personally don't like the new claiming system. It's just really confusing for me. Still a good system since it protects griefing and all that.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Bknrules6 wrote:I personally don't like the new claiming system. It's just really confusing for me. Still a good system since it protects griefing and all that.
So... what would help you?
jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 am

I definitely like this plugin a lot. The only thing I have trouble with is the thinking ahead. Normally I would just build something then get it protected, but now I have to know what I'm building, and how big it's going to be, since I can't just build unless I claim.
"Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."
"You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then, will your true self reveal itself."
HAJIBADA

Post by HAJIBADA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:20 pm

I think it's great. Lets people protect for themselves and takes a lot of pressure of the staff.
mbaxter wrote:You are apparently mentally challenged, and for that I am sorry
jamietech
Now Biodegradable

Post by jamietech » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:09 pm

jmtokx wrote:I definitely like this plugin a lot. The only thing I have trouble with is the thinking ahead. Normally I would just build something then get it protected, but now I have to know what I'm building, and how big it's going to be, since I can't just build unless I claim.
You can resize the claim by pulling out the shovel and right clicking in the area, then right clicking on an edge and moving it ;)
Classy Pancakes

Post by Classy Pancakes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:36 am

jamietech wrote:
jmtokx wrote:I definitely like this plugin a lot. The only thing I have trouble with is the thinking ahead. Normally I would just build something then get it protected, but now I have to know what I'm building, and how big it's going to be, since I can't just build unless I claim.
You can resize the claim by pulling out the shovel and right clicking in the area, then right clicking on an edge and moving it ;)
Thank you this was the part I had to learn about. I didn't understand how to resize a claim without just abandoning it first and starting over.

One of those tutorial books auto-added to new players inventory might be really useful, just to remind them 1) you can't delete a claim and 2) you have to right click on the corner (usually a glowstone block for me) to be able to resize the claim. Once I learned HOW to properly resize, it's gotten much easier.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Classy Pancakes <3 3 Ducks
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:17 am

One of the features of the plugin is that if you ask for help in chat, it will link you to a youtube video with instructions.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits