A few words regarding in-game harassment...

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

A few words regarding in-game harassment...

Post by Bun » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 pm

I joined TF4 a couple hours ago and played a couple of rounds with this kid who had a squeaky voice (he was like Sk1n's kid, for those of you who remember him, absolutely adorable). There was only 8 of us on the server at the time and all was well.

Map changes to rooftime and more players come in. Kid speaks and giggles over the mic a few times and the people who JUST joined instantly starts bashing him for being young and asking me to ban him for violating the Steam TOS because he's < 13 years old. Now, this kid was barely even talking at the time I was online. Probably didn't even know I was an admin and he just played normally and he followed the rules (he wasn't saying anything bad and he wasn't team hurting/killing). There were complaints from several players about him being an annoying kid and that he should be muted/banned. FFS, he wasn't doing anything wrong! He was barely talking! A couple players asked for a vote mute when he wasn't even talking. I've already told them, if you don't want to hear his voice, mute him on your end. A few players said they muted him already, but continued to complain about him still being on the server for whatever reason. A couple players wanted his teammates to tell them where he was so that they can keep killing him over and over, as well as push him off the edge of the map. I proceeded to warn them that if anyone does this, just to ruin this kid's fun, I will ban them. He eventually left without saying anything.

So, what is it that you have against the younger players? The kid was barely talking, in fact, he wasn't even annoying. I find a lot of the new players who joined after the Locals to be more annoying than the the kid that was on. Does that mean I should mute/ban all of you because you guys spew out non sense and whatever comes to mind? Y'all need to stop making a big deal out of younger kids coming on the server and playing. YES! FFS, THERE ARE PEOPLE YOUNGER THAN YOU WHO PLAY TF2 AND NOT EVERY SINGLE KID IS THE SAME! Some will break the rules and some won't!

This is what J2 has come to now. People verbally harassing each other (mainly the newer players who joined last year). This is NOT okay. The older players might give off the impression that it is okay to make fun of each other and all that because "the server is for dicking around", which is what most of the old players say. Most of us are dicks to each other because we've been playing with each other on the same server for years! You don't come on the server and start saying "fuck you" to everybody, just to fit in with the rest of the old gang. There is a difference between joking/dicking around and cyber-bullying/harassment. The server is for playing and having fun. HARASSMENT = BAN. I noticed this has been happening over the last few weeks I was on the server and it has not gone unnoticed, in fact I have warned and kicked several players for this behavior already.

HARASSMENT = INSTA-PERMA-BAN. I'm not going to give out warnings for this shit anymore. Everyone who I've seen bash that kid has a forum account and a reserve slot. Several participate on the forums as well. The server is for playing and having fun. This shit needs to stop.

tl;dr HARASSMENT = INSTA-PERMA-BAN.
pinkle

Re: A few words regarding in-game harassment...

Post by pinkle » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 pm

poor kid :( I don't mind kids in the server as long as they aren't doing anything wrong or being annoying, but that goes for anyone... I'll just mute them myself..

It does make me feel a bit uncomfortable because of how.. tasteless our conversations can be at times lol, but I just remind myself it's not the kid's fault their parents/guardians don't care about what they play, so I just try to be nice n_n
"OK, try to imagine yourself in the J2 Server... You get your first look at this "Pinkle" as you enter a clearing. She moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing her flamethrower. And you keep still because you think that maybe her visual acuity is based on movement like Johnny5 - She'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Pinkle. You stare at her, and she just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the Hippie and Wolsky you didn't even know were there. Because Pinkle's a pack hunter, you see, she uses coordinated attack patterns and she is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... A barbed-wired-wrapped fire axe, The Axetinguisher, in her left hand. She doesn't bother to headshot you like a Porkbun, say... no no. She lights you and slashes at you here, or here... Or maybe across the belly, critting your intestines. The point is, you are alive when she starts to rape you. So you know, try to show a little respect..." -- 3Ducks
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 pm

pinkle wrote:how.. tasteless our conversations can be at times lol
I find most of the "discussions" we have on J2 now are "forced" out of people. It's not natural like how it used to be. People just come on and just start talking gibberish and try really hard to come up with a topic to talk about. I don't find it as interesting as it used to be...but that's just my opinion. That's also one reason why I don't feel like using my mic anymore lol. On top of that, there's the yelling and screaming. :|
Last edited by Bun on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkle

Post by pinkle » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:24 pm

Nah, I feel ya there.. :/
"OK, try to imagine yourself in the J2 Server... You get your first look at this "Pinkle" as you enter a clearing. She moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing her flamethrower. And you keep still because you think that maybe her visual acuity is based on movement like Johnny5 - She'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Pinkle. You stare at her, and she just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the Hippie and Wolsky you didn't even know were there. Because Pinkle's a pack hunter, you see, she uses coordinated attack patterns and she is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... A barbed-wired-wrapped fire axe, The Axetinguisher, in her left hand. She doesn't bother to headshot you like a Porkbun, say... no no. She lights you and slashes at you here, or here... Or maybe across the belly, critting your intestines. The point is, you are alive when she starts to rape you. So you know, try to show a little respect..." -- 3Ducks
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 pm

You should have kicked once they started being ass holes and banned if they continued. This is why we have admins in the first place. I guarantee that even if they are a regular, if they are doing something wrong, most of the other admins will back you in your decision to deal with them. For some reason, there is a natural hate for younger players in every game I've seen (except for Minecraft where they are all kids, and people who DON'T play it generally hate those who do). I've seen several kids on TF4 talk nonstop, and I took action on them for being annoying and overly talkative, but I've done the same to people who are regulars. I really don't care at all how long you've been here or how old you are; if you are breaking rules, you'll be dealt with.
Maha

Post by Maha » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 pm

Poor kid, hope he comes back at least.
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 pm

I agree with you (for once) Wolsky and Pork bun. The FIRST rule of the server is to HAVE FUN. The second rule is no homophobic or racial slurs of ANY kind. If i see or hear any player no matter who it is break either of these 2 rules i will drop the ban hammer faster than shit through a goose. Pork, if you want to Pm a list of the lame ass offenders to some of the admins (including myself) we can start watching these jack holes and deal with them as soon as they step out of line. There is no reason to ever harass any player about anything. If the player (young kid or old man or a girl) is not being annoying and is not disrupting the game play "fun" of other players in the server, there is no need to harass them at all. If they are being disruptive or trolling or whatever you get an admin to deal with it. You definitely DO NOT harass them in any way. There is also an In-game mute button to mute players that are being annoying. This is the kind of stuff that will kill a community. I have seen it happen in multiple clans that i have been in and i wont fucking stand for it here, end of story!!!!!! This behavior in unacceptable.
Im not random. i just think faster then you.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 am

Hippie of doom wrote:Pork, if you want to Pm a list of the lame ass offenders to some of the admins (including myself) we can start watching these jack holes and deal with them as soon as they step out of line.
@Hippie & Admins

I've added watches to those players already.

You will be notified in-game when they join the server and you can use "sm_whois <steam ID/player name>" for more details.
Last edited by Bun on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 am

Porky wrote:
Hippie of doom wrote:Pork, if you want to Pm a list of the lame ass offenders to some of the admins (including myself) we can start watching these jack holes and deal with them as soon as they step out of line.
@Hippie
@Admins

I've added watches to those players already.

You will be notified when they join the server and you can use "sm_whois <steam ID/player name>" for more details.
perfect. Thank you pork bun.
Im not random. i just think faster then you.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:50 am

I don't know what happened before I joined the server, as I only heard 1 person say "he was trolling before you joined". I didn't get the full story behind it, but from my perspective (from the moment I joined), he wasn't breaking any of the server rules and I doubt he knew anything about admins on the servers.
rockerboy
Pls luv me
<font color=#e900da><b>Pls luv me</b></font>

Post by rockerboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 am

This is probably the main reason I don't talk. It usually ends up with me talking, and people knowing I'm a trial admin, so they don't ask for me to be muted, and they just ignore me. I generally just stick to chat. I am logging on to mumble now, because people seem to be fine with me there, but I don't know who to talk to! :(
As for conversations, I've noticed that they're not even close to natural. People were having a really in depth conversation about Pokemon (it was just two people), and Wolsky, porky, and I asked if they could just message each other, and not talk about Pokemon when not everyone wants to hear it. They said something along the lines of,"how about the admins choose something for us to talk about, because we can't think of anything." If you don't have anything to talk about, don't talk.
I'm so sad that this is happening, especially since minecraft died. I'm really hoping the same doesn't happen here. I've been playing a lot of Counter Strike lately, but I'm definitely gonna step up my game here, and help make sure no one does anything like this. One of the reasons I've been avoiding tf2 is that it just hasn't been as fun. I mean, the new people who are mean have kind of been driving me away. Frankly, almost everyone on the servers are being complete assholes. And yes, we joke around that the j2 stereotype is that we're all assholes, but that really isn't the case. I think some people are taking it WAY to literally.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 am

rockerboy5 wrote:One of the reasons I've been avoiding tf2 is that it just hasn't been as fun. I mean, the new people who are mean have kind of been driving me away. Frankly, almost everyone on the servers are being complete assholes. And yes, we joke around that the j2 stereotype is that we're all assholes, but that really isn't the case. I think some people are taking it WAY to literally.
They're definitely taking this whole "J2 is all about dickery" too literal, which is why I included this in my original post:
Porky wrote:The older players might give off the impression that it is okay to make fun of each other and all that because "the server is for dicking around", which is what most of the old players say. Most of us are dicks to each other because we've been playing with each other on the same server for years! You don't come on the server and start saying "fuck you" to everybody, just to fit in with the rest of the old gang.
When you just meet someone in RL, you don't go around calling them names. You get to know them more and more, before you get comfortable enough to joke around and tease each other. This is totally not the case. We have players just coming on the server and just spam "fuck you Pork" for no god damn reason. It's all they know how to say..."fuck this, fuck that". Hell, I don't even recognize most of their names. I'm just playing the game the way it's suppose to be played. Like, seriously, I personally don't really care what you call me, cause you're just wasting your breath and getting upset over a video game. I'm always calm when it comes to video games, but the harassment of the younger players makes my blood boil. This is unacceptable.
jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:19 am

Wolsk wrote:there is a natural hate for younger players in every game.
Pretty much this. Tons of people are biased against players with a high voice using their mic because there are so many kids with high voices that scream and mic spam, with the intention of being as obnoxious as possible. I feel bad for the few people that have to take a ton of shit for their voices, when all they want to do is have fun.
"Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."
"You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then, will your true self reveal itself."
Plastered

Post by Plastered » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:33 am

Yeah I'm actually really sensitive to this type of thing. That's why I typed for the first half a year or so when I first started playing on the server, cus I was worried this exact same thing would happen to me. But you guys got to know me, so when I did start using my mike you didn't freak out about it. tf4 was probably the first server I felt I could talk freely in. I understand there's a ton of stupid kids who don't know they're annoying but getting mad at every single kid who tries to talk is something almost close to discrimination (Maybe a bit overboard on my part ). Although I know my voice isn't high pitched at all anymore, I thank all of the J2 community who've accepted me :D
Kivivarvas

Post by Kivivarvas » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 am

Sadly, I have to admit to being one of the people... who has insulted children when they come on. Usually they have spoken something else than english. (sometimes apparently screaming "don`t kill me" what I`ve heard.)

Of course, I am deeply sorry, that you guys have to take this kind of action. As one of the new members from last year I am sorry about what I´ve done. I just gotta learn to mute them.
Yup, my toes are dried up again.