A few words regarding in-game harassment...

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Re: A few words regarding in-game harassment...

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Dangit Spongebobby! wrote:Whats worse is that when there aren't admins on to moderate this kind of behavior, people will definitely take advantage of the mic. I will name one name just as an example - Willbob. I wish I had a recording of it, but the other day he was spamming the hell out of the mic (as usual) and people were complaining about it (as usual). It was just random "wacky" bullshit such as "Which marvel villain would you have sex with?" and "Red Team's Little Sister is very cute! I saw a photo of her!*" And he was saying "Well there isn't an admin on so theres nothing you can do about it hahaha!"

*Personally I believe he was saying this because RTLS was not online. He's too scared to say something like that when the admins are around. Willbob if you read this, that is creepy as fuck
That is just wrong and creepy...kinda like the guy who added me to his friends list just to ask if I've ever had sex with the pink bunny in rl and other personal questions. *insta-unfriended*
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 pm

I am all for messing with the young'uns because that's how we weed out the people who can't handle J2, but harassing a player and asking for their mute/ban just because they sound like a kid is ridiculous.

Being a dick is a big part of the J2 experience, but you need to earn that right and that means knowing boundaries. The Locals only brought more people to the server, it didn't dictate how the server should be. Yes, the episodes showed a goofy side of us because that's what draws people in, but the riff-raff should have been better conditioned from day one to know how to act on our servers. A lot of J2 folks (including admins) saw that influx of players as a great time to go play something else rather than helping to keep the peace, so that's our bad. If we want to keep new players coming to the server then we need to be willing to put in the time to keep the servers fun for everyone. I've been given some admin powers and I fully intend to use them when necessary; we just need more people willing to step up, tell someone to stop, or jump onto iRC to grab an admin.

I've suggested before that we restrict mic use for new players until they've completed a probationary period. I know that idea isn't popular with everyone, but new players simply do not know how to voice-chat on a 32 player all-talk server. Waaaaaaay back when I started playing on the server, I didn't use my mic for a couple months simply so I could learn who the people were and how best to communicate/joke with everyone. That's why I'm still here. Newbies need time to learn the J2 rhythm and see the boundaries being respected by the veterans.

What do you guys think? A 10 hour (play-time) probationary period for players after they receive a reserved slot, during which time they can still communicate through chat. This would be incentive to get a reserved slot so the probationary period can begin. It would also weed out 90% of the trolling.

EDIT: We could have some fun with it... The first time a new player joins the server after their probationary period ends, we could have a server-wide message/event to let everyone know someone is joining the dialogue. That way he/she doesn't have to try and fight their way into the conversation and it would create an opportunity to reiterate the policy for any new people on the server at that time... Also, the veterans would know who to start messing with. ;)
Lexiprawn
Zookeeper and Conductor of Prose

Post by Lexiprawn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Parasyte wrote:
I've suggested before that we restrict mic use for new players until they've completed a probationary period. ... It would also weed out 90% of the trolling.

EDIT: We could have some fun with it... The first time a new player joins the server after their probationary period ends, we could have a server-wide message/event to let everyone know someone is joining the dialogue. That way he/she doesn't have to try and fight their way into the conversation...Also, the veterans would know who to start messing with. ;)
You have my support for what it's worth. This would also help with the stigma players have towards new players who hop in the server and start talking out of their asses. I just like hearing y'all talk.
Kivivarvas

Post by Kivivarvas » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Parasyte wrote: EDIT: We could have some fun with it... The first time a new player joins the server after their probationary period ends, we could have a server-wide message/event to let everyone know someone is joining the dialogue. That way he/she doesn't have to try and fight their way into the conversation...Also, the veterans would know who to start messing with. ;)
I agree with this plan, if it comes to voting.
Yup, my toes are dried up again.
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Porky wrote:
Ian7 wrote:since The Locals everyone thinks the way to get popular is to come in and be a dick.
Yep, pretty much sums it all up. xD

They think what they say is all witty and funny, when it's totally the opposite.
Bu-.. but my mom thinks I'm funny.. :sadasfuck:
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Server was full just now, with names I actually recognized. Had a quick chat and linked this thread in the god chat.

Surprisingly, the kid came back, but didn't talk this time and only a couple people (the ones who were online yesterday) announced it to the entire server that the kid was back.
Texasbabymunch

Post by Texasbabymunch » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Porky wrote:Server was full just now, with names I actually recognized. Had a quick chat and linked this thread in the god chat.

Surprisingly, the kid came back, but didn't talk this time and only a couple people (the ones who were online yesterday) announced it to the entire server that the kid was back.
That's just sad. :(
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198046794931]Image[/url]
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Parasyte wrote:
What do you guys think? A 30 day trial period for players after they receive a reserved slot, during which time they can still communicate through chat. This would be incentive to get a reserved slot so the probationary period can begin. It would also weed out 90% of the trolling.
Maybe it'd weed out 90% of the trolling, but if only a select few are trolling then I feel like it'd be excluding the majority of new players just because of a few rotten apples.
Maha

Post by Maha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:59 pm

If you can't find an admin on just start taking screenshots/recordings of the people who are doing things they shouldn't be. Send that stuff through a PM on the forums or whatever and someone will take care of them. It may take some time but it usually gets dealt with.
marbear

Post by marbear » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:16 pm

Dangit Spongebobby! wrote:
Parasyte wrote:
What do you guys think? A 30 day trial period for players after they receive a reserved slot, during which time they can still communicate through chat. This would be incentive to get a reserved slot so the probationary period can begin. It would also weed out 90% of the trolling.
Maybe it'd weed out 90% of the trolling, but if only a select few are trolling then I feel like it'd be excluding the majority of new players just because of a few rotten apples.
The newer players might be somewhat more excluded, but that's almost the point. I don't like playing tf4 much because the new players are not using chat the way that most people would like them to. It doesn't hurt to give it a try, at least.

30 days might be a bit discouraging, but at the same time I don't think less time is a better alternative.
"Marbear your too stupid...so I don't know what the fuck your thinking."
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:24 pm

I should point out that there's nothing wrong with typing out what you want to say. If people are talking over each other and you want to be heard, then type it out. There's no need to add to the existing mic spam. It DOES NOT mean you should type "FUCK YOU" every 5 seconds. From my perspective, most people just blurt out whatever comes to mind in hopes of someone laughing and he/she will get recognized for it. In some cases, I've heard people blurt out random shit and then ask if someone was recording, so it can be posted on YouTube.

I'm sure those who still frequent the server, has a list of names (of attention whores) in their heads already. I sure do!
dyl1138
Falling Down
<font color=blue>Falling</font><font color=red> Down</font>

Post by dyl1138 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 pm

marbear wrote:
Dangit Spongebobby! wrote:
Parasyte wrote:
The newer players might be somewhat more excluded, but that's almost the point. I don't like playing tf4 much because the new players are not using chat the way that most people would like them to. It doesn't hurt to give it a try, at least.

30 days might be a bit discouraging, but at the same time I don't think less time is a better alternative.
Speaking as one of those who would need to apply for a reserved slot and go through this process, I support this 100%. Its exclusionary effect is, in my opinion, very limited.
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Post by loafozard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Parasyte wrote: I've suggested before that we restrict mic use for new players until they've completed a probationary period. I know that idea isn't popular with everyone, but new players simply do not know how to voice-chat on a 32 player all-talk server. Waaaaaaay back when I started playing on the server, I didn't use my mic for a couple months simply so I could learn who the people were and how best to communicate/joke with everyone. That's why I'm still here. Newbies need time to learn the J2 rhythm and see the boundaries being respected by the veterans.

On one side i dont think this is a good idea and on the other i do think it is. Part of joining the J2 experience is getting tto know all of the regulars on the server and then learning an appropriate way to interact with them. I know that i havent been around for as long as most of you, but i do feel that there needs to be a period where new players learn more about the regulars on the server.

On the other hand i dont feel that a restriction is a good idea because it has a HUGE possibility of keeping a person from integrating in to the community. A key part in to getting to know other people who play on a server is building up a reputation with the regulars and making a name for yourself. You cant learn how to talk to certain people just based off of listening to a conversation others are having, because in that conversation the people have different relationships with each other. A person will interact someone in a completely different way then another person will.

So, instead of a trial period there may be a simpler solution. Change the rules and the server introduction screen so people are more likely to read them and follow them. Currently its just a boring wall of text that nobody really cares about. This would also help solve the constant "I didnt know this server was friendly fire" I hear when new people get on. Also, admins need to be more willing to enforce temporary mutes on players that are being attention whores and mic spammers. thirty minute mute can go a long way, and can help weed out the players who are truly dedicated to playing and interacting with the regulars on the server.
Sirc001 wrote:Another player along with myself known as loaf of bread or something
Archer wrote:uWu chat daddy
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Regarding the usage of voice chat, I just think more admins need to step in when someone won't let go of their mic button every now and then. I, for one, have been muting people and telling them to cut it out.

I just played a couple rounds on rooftime. Shocky, this guy just keeps constantly boasting about his skills and how good of a sniper he is. Begins name calling after each kill and what not. People telling you you're a good player is one thing, but self-proclaimed good players - you'll just make a fool out of yourself. We don't need to hear you boast every 10 seconds over voice chat about how good of a sniper or w/e you are. Honestly, no one gives a crap. It's a video game. We don't need to hear you talk about how great of a player you are after every kill and death. People with egos like that generally won't get far/much respect in this community. If you want to be accepted and respected, be humble. Also, getting butthurt when someone calls you out on it, is just...

:hurr:
jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:40 pm

(Was he a good sniper?)
"Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."
"You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then, will your true self reveal itself."