A few words regarding in-game harassment...

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
ianws

Re: A few words regarding in-game harassment...

Post by ianws » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:59 am

Ok, I get how this situation has caused a huge uproar and there needs to be change, but one question.
Why the fuck are we doing this now?

For the ones who knew soundwave, he was sometimes dogged on when he was on the server, the typical "j2 dickery". He tended not to mind the bullshit when he first got here.
But as time went on he grew tried of it, because he tended to be the main focus more than half the time when he was on the server. this caused him to snap every so often, sparking drama in and out of the server for years to come. And to be honest i'm one of those members that ragged on him day in and day out. now that i'm older I understand that my words were one of the cogs that caused soundwave to slowly start to hate even playing on the sever.

Now here we are, Soundwave banned and gone and arguing over something that should have been dealt with over 4 years ago.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:59 am

A Ninja wrote:Add more (active and competent) admins. Bam problem solved.
It sounds so simple, doesn't it?
ianws wrote:Now here we are, Soundwave banned and gone and arguing over something that should have been dealt with over 4 years ago.
It's never too late to make things right, especially while the server is still drawing a crowd.
Johnny5072

Post by Johnny5072 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:50 pm

I think Pork's original intent was to get everyone aware that harassment on the server will not be tolerated. I am all for a probationary voice chat system, but again I am also saying we all need to take responsibility for how we play and what we say. If you want to be free to cuss each other out and name call, then you are going to get new players doing the exact same thing to try and fit in. If we as a group can't handle the mic spam, and our reaction is to harass and "bully" another player, then you need to take a serious look at how you play this game.

Parasyte is right. We come to this same topic every few months as it relates to mic spam. I think in this particular situation, Pork Bun was trying to get the attention of new and old players to say that harassing other players will not be tolerated. There is a fine line between joking around with someone you know and saying those same things to someone you don't.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Johnny5072 wrote:I think Pork's original intent was to get everyone aware that harassment on the server will not be tolerated. I am all for a probationary voice chat system, but again I am also saying we all need to take responsibility for how we play and what we say. If you want to be free to cuss each other out and name call, then you are going to get new players doing the exact same thing to try and fit in. If we as a group can't handle the mic spam, and our reaction is to harass and "bully" another player, then you need to take a serious look at how you play this game.

Parasyte is right. We come to this same topic every few months as it relates to mic spam. I think in this particular situation, Pork Bun was trying to get the attention of new and old players to say that harassing other players will not be tolerated. There is a fine line between joking around with someone you know and saying those same things to someone you don't.
This.

Thanks Johnny.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm

I don't understand why its so hard to just not be an asshole to someone. You don't have to like them, you don't have to talk to them. You can literally ignore everything they say, instead of saying something mean. I don't know how I would have endured j2 without voice_enable 0 on the server, and the foe option on the forums.

The problem can't be solved with stupid mic restrictions. It can only be solved by people forcing each other to behave themselves.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Then maybe someone should prod the admins. They either don't play on TF4 anymore, or they aren't doing anything when they are on.
Maha

Post by Maha » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 pm

How many of the admins appointed to the tf4 server actually play? I'm looking at the list and I can say that I don't think I've seen a several of them on the server at all.
pinkle

Post by pinkle » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:11 am

well, *ahem* ..hopefully we will have a new awesome admin to help out soon... one who will be in the server almost every evening, even if only an hour or so... one who will be fair, yet firm.. *whistles innocently* >.>
"OK, try to imagine yourself in the J2 Server... You get your first look at this "Pinkle" as you enter a clearing. She moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing her flamethrower. And you keep still because you think that maybe her visual acuity is based on movement like Johnny5 - She'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Pinkle. You stare at her, and she just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the Hippie and Wolsky you didn't even know were there. Because Pinkle's a pack hunter, you see, she uses coordinated attack patterns and she is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... A barbed-wired-wrapped fire axe, The Axetinguisher, in her left hand. She doesn't bother to headshot you like a Porkbun, say... no no. She lights you and slashes at you here, or here... Or maybe across the belly, critting your intestines. The point is, you are alive when she starts to rape you. So you know, try to show a little respect..." -- 3Ducks
Archer

Post by Archer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:20 am

Maha wrote:How many of the admins appointed to the tf4 server actually play? I'm looking at the list and I can say that I don't think I've seen a several of them on the server at all.
Hi.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:22 am

Maha wrote:How many of the admins appointed to the tf4 server actually play? I'm looking at the list and I can say that I don't think I've seen a several of them on the server at all.
Well, appointed isn't the right word, players have to apply to become admin, so anyone who is admin actively pursued becoming one on the server.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Pocatello

Post by Pocatello » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 am

I had to pass a rigorous test to become an admin on TF4. I was blindfolded and abused. I am not sure what happened after that.
-----------
TF2 name: Durka Durka Durka
-----------
Avvatar wrote:I know who you're talking about, Adam. But also cannot remember his name for the life of me. I want to say Pocatello but I'm nearly positive that's me misspelling the name of some other admin with poor grammar.
Parasyte wrote:I'm satisfying myself right now just thinking about Avanti.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 am

Any probationary voice system depends on bl4nk coding it (unless there is a plugin for that, I haven't checked).

I'd like to hear his and bax's opinions on this issue.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Maha

Post by Maha » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 am

pinkle wrote:well, *ahem* ..hopefully we will have a new awesome admin to help out soon... one who will be in the server almost every evening, even if only an hour or so... one who will be fair, yet firm.. *whistles innocently* >.>
Oh Pinkle, I couldn't possibly apply for such an important job! Maybe you should do it! :3
GustavG

Post by GustavG » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Maha wrote:
pinkle wrote:well, *ahem* ..hopefully we will have a new awesome admin to help out soon... one who will be in the server almost every evening, even if only an hour or so... one who will be fair, yet firm.. *whistles innocently* >.>
Oh Pinkle, I couldn't possibly apply for such an important job! Maybe you should do it! :3
Just remember....
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm

GustavG wrote:
Maha wrote:
Just remember....
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont forget i am running with Parasyte on this ticket. Its not just him dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although he will be the better half. In-fact, i am only running with him to prevent his assassination because really, who wants hippie running the show? Am i right? lololol
Im not random. i just think faster then you.