Battlefield 4

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
bloodcrow

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by bloodcrow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm coming to this thread a bit late but here goes.

I've played most Battlefield games. It began with BF2 but since then i've logged many hours into BF2, BF 2142, BF BC (PS3, which was just a terrible experience), BC2 (PC), BF 3 and BF 4. I even dabbled with Battlefield Heroes but i was just a little BFHeroes curious and it turned out to just be a phase just like my parents said it would be.

Battlefield 2142 was the best, most balanced and thoughtful of the group, in my opinion. Nothing made the map as dynamic as Titan mode with good walker support. My specialty was with the Pilum, motion mines and motion mine bait.

And unless DICE is allowed to produce the product they want to, i will probably never buy another BF game again. Why?

Because BF3 was never finished and BF4 is just... it's not satisfying. In fact, most rounds that i've played, i've felt frustrated and angry afterward. And it's not even the crashes. I've been lucky in that regard. The load times are stupid long and my machine is MORE than adequate to handle the game. Unfortunately, EA had DICE implemented a bunch of superficial "dress up" unlocks for your weapons which contribute absolutely NOTHING to the game. Further, if you start off now, you'll have to contend with people that have played from the beginning and have all the best hardware unlocks for their weapons and vehicles.

Graphically it's good- perhaps too good. I went and bought a 270x so that i could play it at a decent speed. The lighting effects are good but contribute nothing to the gameplay.

The game just feels more frustrating than rewarding.
Yeah, but then your face was there and I shot it. -Parasyte
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to touch your butt. - Pablo the Flying Macho Penis
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Haven't played BF4 but I agree about 2142. It was the pinnacle of my Battlefield enjoyment. Anyone still play it?
bloodcrow

Post by bloodcrow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm

AMMO,

The last time i tried (and it's been well more than a year), there were only 6 servers and i think they were all in Europe and all manned by bots.

I think that DICE would love to return to it if they could but EA screwed up the marketing and logistics of 2142 so much (ie: the mandatory login, patch management, expansion map implementation) that it was never given the reception that it deserved.
Yeah, but then your face was there and I shot it. -Parasyte
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to touch your butt. - Pablo the Flying Macho Penis
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm

I think one of the big problems is the maps. 2142 had the most "city" maps where you could get into these push/pull stalemates that involved the whole team. But they weren't like metro in BF3 or locker in BF4 where it's confined to one or two hallways. They were outdoors urban environments where one daring move at the right time by a squad could tip the balance in their teams favor.

The big open maps have always kinda sucked, but titan mode made even them playable in 2142. As much as I loved BF2 I remember sticking to "city maps only" servers at the end and avoiding all the China maps.
Little Weapon

Post by Little Weapon » Wed May 14, 2014 12:42 am

OddaJosh wrote:Jesus Christ all mighty lord.

Is it me or the game?
It might be you? I had about zero issues with the game aside from some crash problems when it first came out last year.

bloodcrow wrote:Because BF3 was never finished and BF4 is just... it's not satisfying. In fact, most rounds that i've played, i've felt frustrated and angry afterward. And it's not even the crashes. I've been lucky in that regard. The load times are stupid long and my machine is MORE than adequate to handle the game. Unfortunately, EA had DICE implemented a bunch of superficial "dress up" unlocks for your weapons which contribute absolutely NOTHING to the game. Further, if you start off now, you'll have to contend with people that have played from the beginning and have all the best hardware unlocks for their weapons and vehicles.

The game just feels more frustrating than rewarding.
I felt the same at first but the experience is really rewarding when you find good squadmates to work with and communicate over VOIP. The starting weapons in the game are actually some of the best. The M416 is like the second assault unlock and is one of the best and most versatile weapons, even the start AK gun is great.

Also I recommend getting an SSD to cut the loading times.
CaptainTripps wrote:Chicken, how does it work?
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:30 pm

So this popped up:

Showing hovertanks and blueprints for 2142-esque walkers

Maybe 2142 isn't dead
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Neelpos wrote:Maybe 2142 isn't dead
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:41 pm

jussayin
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Yussin

Is it gonna be good as 2142?...........no

Can dice make a GOOD battlefield game in this time n age?...............Hell no!
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
prolix

Post by prolix » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:21 pm

It's not really dice as we knew it anymore. EA has completely destroyed that studio's combined corporate knowledge. I don't know why you think 2142 is even dead to begin with people still play it a lot, hell i still play a bf2 mod as of yesterday.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:01 pm

I just can't get over the fact that the tickrate on BF4 servers is 10. Fucking ten. Are you shitting me? Who decided that was a good idea?