Highlander Opens

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Renbail

Highlander Opens

Post by Renbail » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Sanvich Hoovy

Re: Highlander Opens

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:37 pm

I had a fun time with that highlander tourney back in October, I'd be down to do some more if we get a team together.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Renbail

Post by Renbail » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:01 pm

We'll have to consult the list.
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:02 pm

I'd be up for it. I don't live in Europe, however.
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:05 pm

From October's experience with the hl team we scrambled together (even though this is for fun), you really need a well-coordinated team to win a match. Most of the people who enter these tournaments will no doubt have tons of competitive experience.
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:29 pm

Welllll, you don't need to be that good to win. Our best players are definitely far better than needed to actually win a few rounds. Though, our best players don't tend to engage in these things...

Also, these efforts tend to fail badly. People don't keep to the schedule. I remember last time I was asked to come in cause the team was missing players and it was still 6 vs 9 with me and other substitutes in play.

So, you know, my advice? Get a list of 18 players or more. That way when people inevitably bounce early you're not scrambling to find someone. If you have players that don't have a mic, make sure everyone understands that's a huge disadvantage in a format that requires a shit ton of teamwork. Consider being a sub if that's your situation. If you're living in a situation where your gaming time is unreliable, e.g. you have parents/a spouse/children/you're a doctor or some shit/etc. consider signing up as a sub instead.
Renbail

Post by Renbail » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:45 pm

Who lead the last team?
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:42 am

I played on a J2 team a while back. We got our asses handed to us every time. The only wins we had were when the other team didn't show up.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:01 am

The match we played in October had some of the more notable players on the server: A Ninja, Mastermind, Pink, etc. Despite our efforts, our team still lost a lot of rounds when we first began to play. However, towards the end, we managed to coordinate effectively and actually won a game or two.

I always wanted to start a sort of J2-exclusive tourny so that the competitive aspect of TF2 can be enjoyed without our players getting stomped on by the more experienced; maybe we could even throw in a few fun matches now and then with melee-only matches as a tie-breaker.
The only issue is organizing one with all the conflicting time schedules.
Renbail

Post by Renbail » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:34 am

Throwing this out there...

1. People sign up at a Joe.to tourney Steam group
2. Post their available time frames
3. Find the time bracket where most can play
4. Propose schedule to players
5. Make the list
6. Host matches on TF5 or TF8
Kivivarvas

Post by Kivivarvas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:42 am

Yeah, I don`t think I am competitive enough for this.

But you guys have fun.
Yup, my toes are dried up again.
Maha

Post by Maha » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 am

I'd be down for a community tournament. Don't think I'm competent enough for Highlander. :P
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:45 am

Cheddars wrote:The match we played in October had some of the more notable players on the server: A Ninja, Mastermind, Pink, etc. Despite our efforts, our team still lost a lot of rounds when we first began to play. However, towards the end, we managed to coordinate effectively and actually won a game or two.
Yeah, that "etc." is kinda the rub. We don't have 9 really great players that specialize in the 9 different classes. We have like 5 or 6, at least counting those that will actually come out and do these things, not counting class overlap. That 6 vs. 9 match I spoke about was very even; it was actually a stalemate until we lost another player, putting us at 5 vs 9. That wasn't even our "best" six.

That's a bit of a tangent though. I really like the idea of a j2 league. We got plenty of players who would like to play the format but can't really compete with actual teams. We can set that up without any work, actually. Just start a group and do it like, every 9PM on a Saturday or something, first come first serve, on TF5. We can even set up a list like we have for our L4D2 game! :D
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:23 am

We could easily set up a 1 v 1 tourney on TF8, where people just sign up, maybe ante up say, 2 ref, and then all the participants hop onto TF8. I'd set up a tourney bracket with everyone involved, and then people fight 1v1 as a specified class/ theme (snipers, demoknights, ambassador spy). Each winner advances to the next round until a winner is crowned who takes home the whole pot.

As for simple highlander matches, it shouldn't be hard to set something up on tf2lobby like once a week.

If people are interested i'll totally set up a steam group for this sort of thing.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald