SILENT HILLS

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Sanvich Hoovy

SILENT HILLS

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 pm

ITS HAPPENING
ITS HAPPENING
HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO

My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Re: SILENT HILLS

Post by Django » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:13 pm

its like they made one of derm slenderman/amnesia/gonehome games that actually looks and feels spoooky.

slenderman was too ugly looking to be scary
amnesia was too British to be scary
gone home wasn't even a scary game
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:35 pm

what will that hideous kojima do next
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:58 am

Okay yeah this looks fucking fantastic. I could see myself getting incredibly immersed in something like that and really poo my pants a few times. The first couple SIlent Hill games were the best experiences I've had in a survival horror by far, nothing has ever been able to live up.

I am curious about the whole "This is a teaser and has nothing to do with the full title" message though. Wondering how different it's going to be? I was really digging the first person exploration aspect with the hyper realistic graphics. Super spooky.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:28 am

It's amazing to see these two fools working together ;u; I know once Pacific Rim came out, Kojima wouldn't stop talking about how good it was on Twitter for a couple of weeks straight, so he's probably just as stoked to be working with del Toro ^_^
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Jason wrote:Okay yeah this looks fucking fantastic. I could see myself getting incredibly immersed in something like that and really poo my pants a few times. The first couple SIlent Hill games were the best experiences I've had in a survival horror by far, nothing has ever been able to live up.

I am curious about the whole "This is a teaser and has nothing to do with the full title" message though. Wondering how different it's going to be? I was really digging the first person exploration aspect with the hyper realistic graphics. Super spooky.
Graphics are gonna stay/improve, its the Fox Engine/

I think what it meant by that disclaimer that it will not be first person, and nothing about it, the enemies, that weird baby fleshy thing, the jacobs ladder ghost, etc... have anything to do with it, instead they were just setting a tone. BUT I think a first person silent hill akin to that teaser would be fucking great if done right.

Ive been waiting for someone to do a teaser like this instead of a fucking shitty youtube video, games can have game teasers, more companies should use them.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:09 pm

MasterWholigans wrote:It's amazing to see these two fools working together ;u; I know once Pacific Rim came out, Kojima wouldn't stop talking about how good it was on Twitter for a couple of weeks straight, so he's probably just as stoked to be working with del Toro ^_^
Check out Del Toros new show The Strain, sci-fi horror/thriller set in our time(sci-fi shit isnt super sci-fi like space and lasers) I just saw episode 1 last night, really sick so far, and the monster parts in the first episode are amazing.

Its like The Thing, They Live, Slither, and a dab of Jeepers Creepers had a baby. A lot of the effects are real as well made from makeup and shit, like The Thing, which makes it so much better, only tiny effects are CGI.

Heres the scene that made me watch it, first episode so hardly any spoilers, also its super new so theres only 5 out of 13 episodes right now, last one was 2 days ago.

Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Hoodedsniper wrote:
Jason wrote:Okay yeah this looks fucking fantastic. I could see myself getting incredibly immersed in something like that and really poo my pants a few times. The first couple SIlent Hill games were the best experiences I've had in a survival horror by far, nothing has ever been able to live up.

Graphics are gonna stay/improve, its the Fox Engine/

I think what it meant by that disclaimer that it will not be first person, and nothing about it, the enemies, that weird baby fleshy thing, the jacobs ladder ghost, etc... have anything to do with it, instead they were just setting a tone. BUT I think a first person silent hill akin to that teaser would be fucking great if done right.

Ive been waiting for someone to do a teaser like this instead of a fucking shitty youtube video, games can have game teasers, more companies should use them.
The twitchy monster lady seemed like a really generic enemy, and I feel like Kojima and Del Toro are self aware enough to know that, and that it was there to make the teaser seem like more generic pewdiepie bait. Also the Fetus was a call back to SH3, and I think there was some writing that said something like "I'm sorry Lisa", which would be a throwback to SH1.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:28 pm

This got me thinking about Silent Hill and I went and pirated Homecoming and I'm having a pretty damn good time with it now. Definitely feels like a throwback to the first couple silent hills--very similar tone, atmosphere, gameplay etc. I like that the graphics, while dated now (2008 game) are a good amount of improvement from the originals. Good graphics certainly aren't NECESSARY to make a game immersive and scary and enjoyable, but it does help. the first game especially feels super duper dated now. I like the lighting improvements and the dodge rolling/side stepping you can do in combat. Feels a lot more fluid.

Also has all the same mysterious what the fuck is going on let me find some DANG CLUES AND SHIT AND SOLVE SOME PUZZLES feel of the original silent hills, which def started to go downhill by the 3rd one. This is easily my fave survival horror series, I'm super excited to see what they do with a new one.

Man this just reminded me I had a dream last night I was getting a PS4 for free and I was all excited but it was all just a dream :(
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:48 pm

Jump scares are lame
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm genuinely surprised Jason is liking Homecoming, it and Downpour are the worst SH games.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:32 pm

SHRUG. I don't see a problem with it except for the fact that I just got to the police station and the difficulty jumped immensely. And the dodging mechanics are working kind of annoyingly. ok maybe it's bad.

Apparently they made 2-4 for the PC so I'm dling 2 right now to play that instead. I don't even remember if I ever beat it back in the day. should be fun.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Jason wrote:SHRUG. I don't see a problem with it except for the fact that I just got to the police station and the difficulty jumped immensely. And the dodging mechanics are working kind of annoyingly. ok maybe it's bad.

Apparently they made 2-4 for the PC so I'm dling 2 right now to play that instead. I don't even remember if I ever beat it back in the day. should be fun.
I actually just played through 2 again yesterday with a friend who had never played it before, the game still holds up really well, especially on PC. And yeah Homecoming gets a lot of shit (and deserves a good amount of it ) but the boss designs were 150% awesome.

Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:11 pm

I disagree about the boss designs, except I think Homecoming has Asphyxia? That's a pretty dope boss.

The rest don't feel as creative or emotive to me as they should in a Silent Hill game.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:13 am

Jason wrote:SHRUG. I don't see a problem with it except for the fact that I just got to the police station and the difficulty jumped immensely. And the dodging mechanics are working kind of annoyingly. ok maybe it's bad.

SH2 has issues with cores, set it to only 1 core affinity. Also try and find the patches for widescreen, it does run well but you need a controller.

SH3 runs amazing on PC and only need 1 widescreen patch really. SH4 has PC issues you cant fix but nothing gamebreaking.