Interest Check: Mann vs Mann mode

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.

Does Mann Vs Mann interest you?

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 24
Dangit Spongebobby!

Interest Check: Mann vs Mann mode

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:27 pm

What is Mann Vs Mann?
Basically, Mann Vs Mann (mvmann) is an idea I had a for a server mod which would modify vanilla MVM to be a competitive player vs player gamemode featuring all the perks of mvm such as upgrades and mvm only abilities, as well as having unique bots to play against. I suggested this idea to bl4nk the other day and he agreed that it should be theoretically possible to implement. However, creating such a gamemode would take a bit of work and without the interest of the community will likely never see the light of day. Thus, this thread exists to present the idea and check the community's interest in the creation of this mod.

Gameplay specifics:
(9/8/14)
  • Teams - 9 vs 9
  • 9 vs 9 would be ideal for varied gameplay. It'd also allow for a good amount of players to be playing while still allowing bot players to be present in the game.
  • Potential for a Highlander type of set up.
  • Upgrades
  • Upgrades will likely need modification from vanilla MVM to be balanced for PVP.
  • Most likely be decided upon during testing
  • Money/Purchases
  • Cash entities would need to be modified so that they are team specific. It would be easy to just add cash to a specific player after killing an enemy, but personally I find that part of the fun is having to work your way across the battlefield to grab the cash.
  • Instead of using cash for upgrades, the player can purchase specific bots for the next push
  • Players could purchase tanks, giant heavies, uber medics, etc.
What we need from you:

First of all, vote in the poll! If this idea interests you, let us know!

Sourceplugin programmers - contact me or bl4nk on steam if you are interested in helping
Modelers - we will most likely need to change some models to distinguish the textures for each team. Should be easy.

Furthermore, more development is needed on the core gameplay ideas. The lists above are merely the things I have come up with. If you have any other things to add, please post them here. However please keep your ideas realistic and on topic. My goal is to create a fun and balanced gamemode with potential for competitive play.
Vegetarian

Re: Interest Check: Mann vs Mann mode

Post by Vegetarian » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:54 pm

I will have to vote yes, because people have bugged the hell out of me to play more MvM as of late and I apparently seem to like it! *Gasp!*

Sadly, my personal situation here at home prevents me from contributing in any sustainable way. Honestly it's been that way for a while, but I am not known for my reliability. Still, if you need a guinea pig.. I should be around for that. This sounds like an ambitious idea.. and perhaps one that would be very interesting if brought to life. I wish you the best of luck.
Something goes here, but it's not important
bloodcrow

Post by bloodcrow » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:16 pm

I will lend whatever i can but finding a job is my first and highest priority.
Yeah, but then your face was there and I shot it. -Parasyte
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to touch your butt. - Pablo the Flying Macho Penis
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:19 pm

I'd be down to do some modeling/retexturing.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 am

HIT ME WHEN YOU PLAY IF I'M AVAILABLE I'LL TOTES PLAY
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:45 am

Give both teams waves of bots and just make it a moba
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Fuck your moba
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:16 pm

I have no prior experience in programming with Sourceplugin but I would give it a shot if you could toss me a few links.
MegapiemanPHD

Post by MegapiemanPHD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:25 pm

I don't know anything about programming or modeling but if you guys ever need any mapping, I would be more than happy to help.
And all the girlies say i'm pretty fly (for a white pie)
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:09 pm

You could also probably borrow a few ideas from the Stop That Tank gamemode.
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Just want to post saying I'm actually working on this.

Neelpos: Retexturing we'd need immediately would be retextured money for both teams, as well a red texture for the Red Bot pathing indicators. Eventually it'd be nice to see the Upgrade Stations retextured for each team but its not a priority.

MegapiemanPHD: I'll be working on an example map soon for testing, but if you have any map ideas feel free to start on creating a basic layout. You can also add me on steam if you'd like to discuss any ideas.
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:03 pm

I can presume Bl4nks behind this project since you mentioned him in the OP? Cause that's a name I could trust to see this through. Don't want to do a bunch of work for this to end up dead in the water.

I'm a bit busy atm but I can probably rip some files and start retexturing sometime next week, I'm piss poor at recompiling and implementing mods though (hence why I neber got my weapons or non-hat cosmetics uploaded to the workshop) so I'll need help if you want anything more than .obj's and .vtf's out of me.

Also you want straight up retextures or unique models? I can do both, latter will probably involve more work on your part.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes I completely understand. I will admit I am currently the "ideas guy" on this project, but bl4nk is helping me learn sourcemod stuff right now. He may be able to implement my idea faster than me, but learning what is possible will help me refine the concept. I will let you know whenever I get to a point where I feel asking for actual contribution will be necessary.

I think retextures will be fine for this. I'd like to keep the look and feel of tf2. If you can make the textures I know how to compile and implement them.
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Dangit Spongebobby! wrote:I think retextures will be fine for this. I'd like to keep the look and feel of tf2.
Oh honey
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Well, for instance I was imagining red and blue money for each team, just switched over from green. That kind of thing.