Heroes of the Storm

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
Maha

Heroes of the Storm

Post by Maha » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:46 am

Does anyone else on here have Alpha access for this? I never seen anyone talking about it so I assume that no one cares or just doesn't have access. I could use a few people to play with so I don't have to pub all the time. :P

For the curious: Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's new MOBA that is still in it's technical Alpha and is played with characters from Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft. It's pretty much Blizzard's new DotA since they don't own it anymore. The game is more objective based than something like LoL or DotA 2, you'll mostly be out capturing Mercenary camps to push lanes, collecting tributes to debuff the enemy teams turrets, or collecting skulls to summon a Golem.

The game is built more simplistically than DotA or LoL, there's no item shop to buy items, you level with your team instead of individually, and you'll pick talents for your skills every few levels.

If you're interested in trying to get into this, all you gotta do is just setup your battle.net account adjust the beta options under the Games & Options menu and then going onto Beta Options.

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/

My Battle Tag is Eightyproof#1356
Last edited by Maha on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prolix

Re: Heroes of the Storm

Post by prolix » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:49 am

Same as Adventure Time Battle Party to me; at least cartoon network understands the demographic they are going for with this simplicity.
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:23 pm

It's not so much simplicity as it is catering to the more casual audience of this genre, generating more public interest and providing a stepping stone for games like DOTA and League. The current moba communities haven't exactly been well-known for being particularly welcoming to the newbies of the game.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:33 pm

hots will be no different other than it will be complete garbage. seriously:
there's no item shop to buy items, you level with your team instead of individually, and you'll pick talents for your skills every few levels.
toplel
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Maha

Post by Maha » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:02 pm

So it's bad because it's more accessible to people who don't play League or DotA?

It's not like items bring variety to League or DotA since majority of people just copy a build they found on the internet anyway.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 pm

it's bad because it's made by fucking blizzard and they're using retardedly simple as a synonym for accessibility and you're fucking falling for it.

you can make a game accessible while still retaining depth - something that blizzard has completely forgotten how to do. league and dota are both very accessible; everyone nowadays is just too much of a fucking baby and needs instant gratification in their videogames
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Maha

Post by Maha » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Aaaanyway.

Still looking for anyone who has the Alpha to play with.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Tehenemy loves mobas, ask him
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:43 pm

MrBlip wrote:it's bad because it's made by fucking blizzard and they're using retardedly simple as a synonym for accessibility and you're fucking falling for it.

you can make a game accessible while still retaining depth - something that blizzard has completely forgotten how to do. league and dota are both very accessible; everyone nowadays is just too much of a fucking baby and needs instant gratification in their videogames
You are overly sassy against it.

Ive had the alpha access pretty much day 1 when they sent them out.

The depth is there, its not nearly as much as Dota, but Blizzard has already stated they arent trying to be like Dota, and honestly what HoTs does as a Dotalike game is really fucking refreshing. Its not a competitive hardcore e-sport and Blizzard proves this with HoTs, they are self aware that its more casual.

Its very focused on team based objective gameplay, and the objectives vary quite a lot, along with the multiple maps. The lack of items and team leveling put a huge focus on that gameplay as well, and at first I was really against it but after playing more and seeing it in practice that I came to realize its actually very well done. HoTs is nothing like any other dotalike ive played and its working in its favor.

HoTs is not a replacement for Dota or LoL, its not trying to just make a super casual experience to bring in random shitters, its entirely its own beast and game and that is what will bring it success. Because they actually decided to mix up the fucking formula instead of copypasting it.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:50 pm

I have an intense dislike for the monetization they've selected and will be avoiding the game.
prolix

Post by prolix » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:59 am

seriously they couldn't think of another acronym to use besides HoTS? they already use HoTS for the sc2 expansion heart of the swarm. what the fuck it's like 5 year olds are in what ever department is responsible for naming their products
(looks at past 5 titles with disgust)
jermm

Post by jermm » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:12 pm

when it has controller support / comes to PS4 I'll be excited. D3 is super fun on PS4.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:05 am

jermm wrote:when it has controller support / comes to PS4 I'll be excited. D3 is super fun on PS4.
Hots wont be on PS4 dude. Controls cannot work, in D3 on PS4 you arent required to really specifically target stuff, instead you like auto home in on shit when using abilitys. You are never needing to like select a single thing like Point+Click which is required in HoTs, instead you hover and fills gap. Except that wouldnt work in HoTs, it would do far more harm than good in a skillshot based game and a targeted ability/attack game.
Maha

Post by Maha » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:31 am

prolix wrote:seriously they couldn't think of another acronym to use besides HoTS? they already use HoTS for the sc2 expansion heart of the swarm. what the fuck it's like 5 year olds are in what ever department is responsible for naming their products
(looks at past 5 titles with disgust)
I'm assuming the thought process on that is that when referring to Starcraft people just say "Starcraft 2" or "SC2."

Does anyone actually call Starcraft 2 "Heart of the Swarm" or "HotS?"

To think of it I normally see people calling Heroes of the Storm just "Heroes" anyway.
slowpokex2

Post by slowpokex2 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:26 pm

Anyone still playing Hots? I want to get the genji skin but I need to play 15 games with a friend.
Howlin Mad Murdoc