Ferguson

Some gaming news gets moved from here to the forum above
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Ferguson

Post by narwal » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 pm

SOMEONES GONNA HAVE TO MAKE THE THREAD

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/justice/f ... index.html

A whole boatload of National Guard gettin called in after the Grand Jury declined to indict, which was followed by a fuckload of rioting. Neat.

Thoughts?

Personally speaking, these violent demonstrations are doing nothing but destroying the city and perpetuating stereotypes, and are more divisve and troublesome than any other course of action.

Not to mention the rampant crime and looting.

Also, tumblr right now, agahAhahahhHhahahahaAHAHHAAHHA, holy shit, people are stupid.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Brig
Swiggity Swoogity

Re: Ferguson

Post by Brig » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:10 pm

So yeah I live kinda close to where this shits happening.

I see stupid shit on instagram from kids at my school who think the riots/arson is "justified" and these posts are pretty damn dumb in my opinion.

I don't know if anyone watched the news live last night, but a lot of shit went down. People blocked off a very major highway, lots of buildings got burnt down, riots and just crazy shit.

I believe most of the people who are rioting don't even really care about the truth or the case, and just wish to riot because they fucking can, and for looting.

But whatever, I digress.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Purposely didn't make this thread because this is a gaming community and I don't really think we're ready or have ever been ready for these types of discussions.

Brig's judging opinion of the protestors as if he's in that situation, as if hes one of the black residents of that community suffering antiblack police brutality daily is a pretty good example of that.

I'm asking permission to potentially lock this topic if it goes out of control, becomes overtly racist, or just generally is a shitty and disrespectful to the struggles of Ferguson or the black community.

I honestly think that nothing good can come of this type of topic but dragging joe.to down with negativity it isn't equipped to handle(not to mention giving assholes excuses to be indirectly, implicitly antiblack or just cruel and judgmental). I think the Thanksgiving thread is a good example of that. This entire event is a tragedy for Ferguson and I don't really think its Joe.to's business.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:58 pm

who died and made you forum police

RIP Joe
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g
Brig
Swiggity Swoogity

Post by Brig » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Chaos Wake wrote:Purposely didn't make this thread because this is a gaming community and I don't really think we're ready or have ever been ready for these types of discussions.

Brig's judging opinion of the protestors as if he's in that situation, as if hes one of the black residents of that community suffering antiblack police brutality daily is a pretty good example of that.

I'm asking permission to potentially lock this topic if it goes out of control, becomes overtly racist, or just generally is a shitty and disrespectful to the struggles of Ferguson or the black community.

I honestly think that nothing good can come of this type of topic but dragging joe.to down with negativity it isn't equipped to handle(not to mention giving assholes excuses to be indirectly, implicitly antiblack or just cruel and judgmental). I think the Thanksgiving thread is a good example of that. This entire event is a tragedy for Ferguson and I don't really think its Joe.to's business.
If you "too lazy, do not read" this, then please don't bother replying

Yes its a gaming community, and most of the news is gaming based as it should be. But, for something as big of an event as the Ferguson protests, I really don't think the mods would care that it doesn't concern games.

This could have been a nice, non-debatial topic about the event, but you decided to target me instead and call me out. Fine. I stand by statement completely. I am not saying 100% of the people rioting are rioting to riot. I cannot begin to understand the injustices some people must have experienced in their lives over racism. But do not, however, discard me like you know my life. My little brother, who is adopted and black, has experienced racist comments thrown towards him before. He is only four. It hurts me to see this more than you can imagine, and do not dare to assume you know my life and that I have never experienced to feel injustice about racism. My statement may seem assuming of the people of Ferguson who are protesting, but my claims are far from unfounded. I have seen things all over social media from people who live in Ferguson, who decided to riot just to try to score things from looting, or because they just felt angry in general and not about the specific case. I'm not saying protesting is stupid, in fact I think its a good way to stand ground on the things you believe, but I saw establishments that had worked hard to be built up, burned to the ground, putting innocent people out of jobs in the christmas season. Cars destroyed at random, etc. Do not tell me people are burning a fucking Dominoes Pizza restaurant because they are tired of the fucking injustice they feel from Dominoes in racism in their neighborhood. The people who do things like that are either grossly misguided in their anger over the decision, or are rioting because they can take advantage of the opportunity presented in the time when others are trying to find good ways to protest peacefully and exactingly.

This topic didn't have to be, and wasn't negative until you made it so. It could have been a nice calm topic and discussion with a chance for the community to grow in its understanding and share its beliefs in a nice non-debatial way. If people disagree with my statements, I totally understand and listen to their opinions. However, I believe your drastic response of shutdown rather than discuss response, as well as your targeting of me in what I perceive a threatening way have partially ruined that.

I understand you have the right to say what you wish, and have your opinion, so here is mine.

Good day.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Jesus Christ
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 pm

chaos wake you're a cool dude but we have the mature forums and news forums for a reason

also, he lives right nearby, and he sees people around him doing stupid shit and that's what he's talkin about so maybe you're the one being judgmental?? ice burn dot gif
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Too many words to say but I'm just going to add that lots of people in Seattle are blowing up. Tons of my friends in education and law are just like fuuuuuu well this is pretty much what everyone was expecting because the governor wanted it go down this bad. To say they were fanning the flames would be an understatement
Toxius

Post by Toxius » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:20 pm

I'm just glad the Bar is seeking federal charges. :V
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Post by Hooplah » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:46 am

i'm glad someone made this thread and it won't be locked. this is a serious topic and as such i'll be dumping blatantly off-topic and/or non-serious posts from here on.

it might say 'gaming community' at the top of the page, but this community is very capable of having conversation in a calm and mature manner and to assume we can't because we play video games together is asinine.

that being said, i'm going to withhold my opinion on the matter until i'm better informed, at which point i will check back with this thread. i'd encourage everyone thinking about posting here to do the same lest we spread misinformation. there's plenty of that happening already.
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Post by loafozard » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:50 am

Hooplah wrote: that being said, i'm going to withhold my opinion on the matter until i'm better informed, at which point i will check back with this thread. i'd encourage everyone thinking about posting here to do the same lest we spread misinformation. there's plenty of that happening already.
This
Sirc001 wrote:Another player along with myself known as loaf of bread or something
Archer wrote:uWu chat daddy
Brig
Swiggity Swoogity

Post by Brig » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:35 am

Its dying down a bit in terms of violent protest severity, but there is still some shit going on. They closed down a couple large malls around StL because of protesters blocking the walkways.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Pfttahaha to y'all, thinking protest are unjustified.
They are one means in which popular opinion gets out there.Yeah, they might get ugly ,but in the words of the great Mao

A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous.
A revolution is an act of violence by which one class shatters the authority of the other.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Brig
Swiggity Swoogity

Post by Brig » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:38 pm

I completely disagree with your post, Django, and I'm going to assume your serious

First off, plenty of innocent people have had their livelihoods or themselves destroyed by these violent events.

I don't see how its "necessary" for these events to occur when innocent people who have nothing to do with it but just happen to live nearby see destruction of their lives. People put out of jobs at Christmas time because their establishment was burnt down. Homes burnt down at this time too. Families are just trying to find places to live, they can't even worry about the stupid shit like we do.

Many of my friends can literally see burning and smell smoke coming from outside. I've been told firsthand by my teachers and friends that live nearby go to sleep scared at night because people are running around outside crazy starting fires and shit.

Is it okay that these things happened all in the name of fucking "necessary'?

Also for starters, these events at Ferguson are being called protests worldwide, not revolutions, and for good reason. A revolution is defined as a a forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favor of a new system. I can tell you from seeing this shit firsthand, governments gonna stay.
There is no defeat of authority here. The national guard is completely in favor when it comes to force. I have only ever seen single officials get killed at random, but when it comes to an actual mounting of authority, the authority shows powerful.

I don't care what some 20th century military leader said about revolutions, I just can't find it true about the Ferguson problem at all.

And I will come out and say, yes, I feel like I know more about the Ferguson events than probably anyone here that's active. You can take that as me being egotistical or a prick, whatever, but everyone here i,f I'm right, receives the news from the media, which can distort shit to make things either seem worse or better depending on what they want, making things seem different than they are. I don't base my knowledge off the media, but actual firsthand accounts of my friends, family, people I know, and what I see with my own eyes as backing of my argument.
The media is also not afraid to use witness claims that have been debunked as argument in favor or against the rioting, which many people use to back up what they think.

These violent protests, from my point of view, help little to nothing. In the end, the only thing really achieved is a cop resignation.
The consequences are too many innocent deaths, destruction of places that had nothing to do with authority, A worsening view of Ferguson, Missouri, and hell even the US as a whole.

Do I think Darren Wilson could have avoided killing Michael Brown? Absolutely. As the testimony of Darren himself gives that was revealed the day the Grand Jury decision was announced, he could have taken a tazer with him but opted not to due to its comfortableness, leaving his only weapon a gun. If he had changed this decision, he could have most likely used this instead of a gun to stop Michael Brown.

Do I believe Darren Wilson is a hardcore racist who maliciously murdered Michael Brown in great injustice? Fuck no. Darren Wilson apologized to the Brown family for killing their son, not because he felt like it was unjustified, but that he took the taking of a life seriously. As seen in the biopsy, actually reliable witness accounts, and the testimony of Darren, he made as many non-lethal shots as he could to Brown, but Brown kept charging at him.

And for anyone out there who still thinks Brown was some innocent kid, try taking a look at his police record, or whats been confirmed of it. He has links to gang violence as well as linking to second degree murder as well as petty theft of a liquor store among others.

So, yeah, Django, glad you can sit far away wherever you are and laugh at people thinking protesting violence leading to death is good, all in the name of what you and your misused Mao quote deem necessary.

I'll make sure to keep your surprising opinion of "all in the name of necessary, even if it doesn't achieve anything and results in destruction of innocents" in mind as I tell my friend that I'm sorry his neighbor's car is up in smoke or that he hears gunshots and helicopters as he goes to sleep.

Hey whatever necessary for unnecessary violence am I right.

I don't mean to sound so hostile in my responses but damn.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Worst part of all of this was the surge of Facebook statuses after the grand jury decided not to indict the cop
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533