TF2 Mapping for Beginners (General Discussion)

Like such as the NIPPER
Cheddars

TF2 Mapping for Beginners (General Discussion)

Post by Cheddars » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:21 am

Have you ever played a map and thought to yourself, "man, I really wish this map had a thingmajig over here and another thingmajig over there" or "man, I really wish this map had more than one spawn door so Parasyte could stop spawn-camping our base". Well, you may not be able to fix any existing maps on the server or prevent heavies from shoving their overhealed miniguns up your ass but you can definitely create your own with the tools Valve has provided us.
The Valve Hammer Editor, more informally known as Hammer, is the resource used to make maps in Source Engine games, such as Team Fortress 2.

Here's a quick guide on where to find the Hammer program: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=22471#2

I would suggest that you toy around with the Hammer interface and watching this tutorial
(skip to 4:30 for the Hammer bit, everything before is setting up the program which may also be helpful):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF3er5l ... CqYx6sKaXk

Here's a list of resources, namely recompiled from tf2maps.net (a community for TF2 mappers, new and experienced, that you should definitely check out), that every mapper should start off with:

> Valve's guide to level creation in TF2: a basic wiki on the fundamentals of mapping that you will commonly refer back to

> Common TF2 mapping mistakes and how to fix them

> List of mapping link resources that includes:
Egan wrote: How to start making maps for TF2
Explains step by step what you need to do to set up Hammer World Editor, and start making maps for TF2!

Guides on mapping for TF2
A list of guides, tutorials, and resources created by members of TF2maps.net, or elsewhere. If you have created a guide and want it listed here, reply to this thread with the name of the guide, and a link to it.

Guides on game design in general
These articles discuss a broad range of topics. They range from other source games, to game theory itself. Must read articles for anyone who would like to further understand game design.

Resources to help you create, share and customize your maps
Need a file sharing site? Looking for that Photoshop or 3DS Plugin?
> A mapping resource pack that I would not suggest installing unless you're already familiar with the Hammer interface

We have a few veteran and a few new mappers in the J2 community so this thread could also serve as a general discussion for all things related to mapping in TF2.
Feel free to post screenshots of the progress in your map; discuss ideas; offer criticism and feedback or ask for help!
NIPPER

Re: TF2 Mapping for Beginners (General Discussion)

Post by NIPPER » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:58 pm

I'll start with a huge tip I wish someone would have told me way back when I was first getting started mapping: DON'T. Don't waste your time with this shit. Go learn to play guitar, lift weights, or something, anything other than mapping.
SuperPotato

Post by SuperPotato » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:24 pm

I'd be willing to help out at the beginner-to-intermediate level I suppose; I used to map quite a bit and it shouldn't have changed too much since I stopped. PM me here or let me know on Steam, I'm usually available.
NIPPER wrote:...huge tip... : DON'T. Don't waste your time with this shit. Go learn to play guitar, lift weights, or something, anything other than mapping.
Seconded.
Cheddars wrote:Well, you may not be able to fix any existing maps on the server
I could also do that, I think I have what's needed. Mapping ethics aside, a good but broken map should be fixed instead of just cast aside.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:26 pm

NIPPER wrote:I'll start with a huge tip I wish someone would have told me way back when I was first getting started mapping: DON'T. Don't waste your time with this shit. Go learn to play guitar, lift weights, or something, anything other than mapping.
ITS YOUR OWN FAULT FOR NOT CAPITALIZING ON YOUR SKILL NIPPER CAUSE YA HAD IT.
seanhive

Post by seanhive » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:21 am

Hoodedsniper wrote:YA HAD IT
what a hooded menace.

there's still time. there's still time for sven coop source maps. sven coop source maps are everything, fuck weights.
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:25 pm

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleaf

If you make a map, for the love of god research this and understand it. I'm tired of my modern computer getting 30fps in custom maps because of poor optimization.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Hoodedsniper wrote:ITS YOUR OWN FAULT FOR NOT CAPITALIZING ON YOUR SKILL NIPPER CAUSE YA HAD IT.
It's a catch 22 though. If I was the type of person who was good with people and capable of networking or self-promoting I wouldn't have ended up mapping.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:43 pm

At least you've brought joy to thousands of people who love your maps.