Maps?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
timtoborne

Maps?

Post by timtoborne » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:44 am

To me it seems that the server is often killed by bad maps. Well, that and me logging on and half of the server population ditches. (But that's a given)

Does anyone know any good maps? By good maps, I just mean maps that don't tend to kill the server.
This is a genuine question, I never know what to nominate. :/
Steam is BLU_Collar, PSN is GGLinear, and my LoL account name is Somber Rites.

It's been years since I've spoken with any of you, but if you ever want to play or just talk, feel free to contact me.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Re: Maps?

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:16 am

dude you just gotta own up to it and nominate maps. sure, it may suck, but then people will (hopefully) know that and (hopefully) not vote for it (lol who am I kidding)

I agree, a thread for "recommended maps" could be a useful resource (though my opinion on a map is not the end-all). maybe I'll make one
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:57 am

timtoborne wrote:To me it seems that the server is often killed by bad maps.
This is something we're working on. I modified one of our plugins to look at which maps people disconnect on, and we're creating graphs and such to figure out which maps are a problem on our server. A Ninja has begun working on handling the map rotation, and hopefully with his help we can keep up with interchanging the maps we have active on the server to provide a better experience.
Maha

Post by Maha » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:10 am

Can we do something about the Sheep Effect? Where people just spam a number in chat or voice and people usually flock towards whatever it is.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Maha wrote:Can we do something about the Sheep Effect? Where people just spam a number in chat or voice and people usually flock towards whatever it is.
Use it. Last week i got the server to play all the source fort maps, in a row.
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
timtoborne

Post by timtoborne » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:20 pm

rottencheeseCA wrote:
Maha wrote:Can we do something about the Sheep Effect? Where people just spam a number in chat or voice and people usually flock towards whatever it is.
Use it. Last week i got the server to play all the source fort maps, in a row.
Yeah, i remember that. I wanted to murder you. But seriously.
He's on to something.

It's been years since I've spoken with any of you, but if you ever want to play or just talk, feel free to contact me.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 pm

runoff voting! make maps win with a majority not a plurality
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:38 pm

dmitri ravinoff wrote:
runoff voting! make maps win with a majority not a plurality
Runoff voting would definitely help solve the problem as often times there are too many maps listed in the nominate menu that people will either, randomly push a number, or "sheep" vote. Condensing the nominating process into two series of votes would allow players to make a better decision and would prevent "unfavorable" maps from being voted purely for the sake of having a quick laugh while the server empties itself.
timtoborne

Post by timtoborne » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:51 am

Cheddars wrote:Runoff voting would definitely help solve the problem as often times there are too many maps listed in the nominate menu that people will either, randomly push a number, or "sheep" vote. Condensing the nominating process into two series of votes would allow players to make a better decision and would prevent "unfavorable" maps from being voted purely for the sake of having a quick laugh while the server empties itself.
Could you explain to me how this'd work? I can kinda see an easy way to fix the random vote, but "sheeping" would be quite difficult. Again, how would it work?

A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:27 pm

timtoborne wrote:
Cheddars wrote:Runoff voting would definitely help solve the problem as often times there are too many maps listed in the nominate menu that people will either, randomly push a number, or "sheep" vote. Condensing the nominating process into two series of votes would allow players to make a better decision and would prevent "unfavorable" maps from being voted purely for the sake of having a quick laugh while the server empties itself.
Could you explain to me how this'd work? I can kinda see an easy way to fix the random vote, but "sheeping" would be quite difficult. Again, how would it work?
The map vote would be followed by a second map vote with the 2 (or 3, I'm not sure) most popular options, narrowing down the possibilities.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:23 pm

timtoborne wrote:
Let's say we have maps a,b,c,d, and e

let's say they get, respectively 8,7,6,5, and 4 votes, out of a total of 30 people.

The way it works now, map a would be chosen, despite only having 27% of the total votes.

If we were to implement runoff voting, maps a and b would then be voted on again, with the winner being chosen as the next map. This gives everyone a greater voice in choosing a map