Double-text in Chat bug

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Re: Double-text in Chat bug

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Nope. I think it started when the senior admins turned on the word changer for fuck to duck
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:07 am

No, it definitely existed before that.
Maha

Post by Maha » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:29 am

I think it was around the time Scream Fortress came out.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:29 pm

It happened whenever Valve made it so that chat appears to everyone during the end of the round, regardless if you're dead or not. The problem was this:

When you typed something at the end of the round, it would send one UserMessage to those who were normally suppose to receive the message, and another to everyone else who didn't normally receive the message. The plugin I wrote hooked the sending of the UserMessage and changed it so everyone could see the message. This made it so that there was effectively two UserMessages that were being hooked by the plugin and rewrote to be sent to everyone, instead of just the normal one. Why they didn't just change the recipients of the original message instead of sending a second one is beyond me, but that's the route they chose to take. Now we were experiencing this problem not just at the end of the round, which made it apparent that there are other locations where Valve decided to do the same thing depending on certain circumstances. The plugin that I put on the server uses three different modes of sending information (UserMessages, Broadcast Events, and Console Command hooks) to determine what needs to be modified exactly. I was going to incorporate the same process that was used by the plugin to do it myself, but since the one I stuck on there seems to be working as intended, I feel that I don't need to take any further action to fix the problem we were having. As long as people who are dead can send a chat message, and it goes to the proper people (dead and alive, respecting team chat), then my work is done in this specific instance.