Rising Thunder: new fighting game with no input wall

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Rising Thunder: new fighting game with no input wall

Post by rottencheeseCA » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:07 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-thunder-a ... the-genre/

So, I have never been a big fighting game person. I play smash rarely, but that's about it. Oh and dive kick, but i don't get the jokes. Anyway I saw this article and I am interested in this game. The main selling point to me us that you don't have to learn special moves. I'm not too hot on free to play games, so I'm a little weary about that aspect. There is an online alpha at the end of the month, and here is the sign up link.

http://www.risingthunder.com/register
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Re: Rising Thunder: new fighting game with no input wall

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:28 pm

interesting to see the dropping of technicality

I don't really follow the fighting game scene (wooo evo), but smash has had this similar move away from technicality. melee is fantastically technical - there are a lot of extremely precise and quick inputs required, especially at a top level. many top players even have hand problems, unfortunately.

Brawl/ssb4 are a complete step in the opposite direction - they have a generous input buffer and generally require far less technical skill than melee. the result is that the community is divided pretty heavily between melee fans who love its technicality and brawl/ssb4 fans who don't see the point in needless execution barriers. there is a good deal of strife between the two camps, unfortunately, but each group is growing faster than ever before.
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:40 pm

dmitri ravinoff wrote:interesting to see the dropping of technicality
THIS KILLS THE VIDEO GAMES
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:47 pm

I wasn't really talking about technicality, I was talking about button combos for special moves, quarter-circle back a b kinda stuff. I actually prefer melee to 4, but that is probably because that is the one I know more. I kinda like games with precise inputs, like dark souls. From the article it seems like this game wants to stay technical, in this definition, but I suppose that remains to be seen.
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 am

@MrBlip yeah I also greatly prefer melee/PM over brawl/ssb4

@rottencheeseCA how technical are traditional fighters? eg SF, MK, etc. Are they comparable to melee in terms of precise, quick button pressing?
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:06 am

"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:41 am

If I ever met a person who had hand problems because of too much smash bros I'm not really sure how I would react.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:54 pm

So, I got into the alpha. Game is pretty fun. The special moves work on a timer, which makes sense I guess. Being someone who doesn't know fighting games, I am a little over a 1:1 win lose ratio, so that is a sign that what they are trying is working. Been playing as Talos, who is a grappler character and have been doing alright as long as I don't get projectile spammed.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:02 am

Isn't input execution like, half the thing with fighting games? I guess it's nice they're trying to make something more accessible for boneheads like me who suck at that sort of thing, but doesn't that boil things down to a glorified rock-paper-scissors with the cooldown timer being the singular wrench in the cog? The dexterity element feels like an inextricable part of the genre.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:53 am

Hellboy wrote:inextricable
Great SAT word. But I'm glad to have a real fighting game person's opinion. It doesn't feel like rock paper scissors to me, but I am one of the aforementioned boneheads. When I fight someone who is carbon I rank (hasn't won a single game yet) I win every time for the most part, so it isn't just a button basher.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 am

just played a match with someone named KoD. Was it the real one? I won, so maybe.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Triple post. Game is now in open technical alpha. Just go to risingthunder.com and sign up. Give it a try, if you want.
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:04 am

How obese are your fingers?
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Jason wrote:If I ever met a person who had hand problems because of too much smash bros I'm not really sure how I would react.
*waves
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Hellboy wrote:Isn't input execution like, half the thing with fighting games? I guess it's nice they're trying to make something more accessible for boneheads like me who suck at that sort of thing, but doesn't that boil things down to a glorified rock-paper-scissors with the cooldown timer being the singular wrench in the cog? The dexterity element feels like an inextricable part of the genre.
Consider a more casual aspect a fighting game might want to get right "Gratifying the player with the fastest reaction times".
Even if your input is impeccable on a dexterity level , you gotta consider the input process of info that is going on with your brain.

That's why, some of the most popular casual games in human history are reaction based like pinball, flappy bird, call of duty, supermario, baseball, etc.
Because, fast reaction times are totally a naturalistic skill that can be measured and applied in other fields, like jumping high or having decent grip.
Some people are gonna see fighting games and think "CHESS", in other words all skill but ABSOLUTELY no fun.

In fact this is the trend right now in fighting games, a game like SF4 has had like 3 revisions already (capcom rite) ,but you can clearly notice how much
easier is to win in the latest version of the game, characters move faster, normals are stronger, specials are easier to do. It's like they want to capitalize
into the reaction times idea.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."