Rising Thunder: new fighting game with no input wall

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Hellboy

Re: Rising Thunder: new fighting game with no input wall

Post by Hellboy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:37 pm

Django wrote:
Hellboy wrote:Isn't input execution like, half the thing with fighting games? I guess it's nice they're trying to make something more accessible for boneheads like me who suck at that sort of thing, but doesn't that boil things down to a glorified rock-paper-scissors with the cooldown timer being the singular wrench in the cog? The dexterity element feels like an inextricable part of the genre.
Consider a more casual aspect a fighting game might want to get right "Gratifying the player with the fastest reaction times".
Even if your input is impeccable on a dexterity level , you gotta consider the input process of info that is going on with your brain.

That's why, some of the most popular casual games in human history are reaction based like pinball, flappy bird, call of duty, supermario, baseball, etc.
Because, fast reaction times are totally a naturalistic skill that can be measured and applied in other fields, like jumping high or having decent grip.
Some people are gonna see fighting games and think "CHESS", in other words all skill but ABSOLUTELY no fun.

In fact this is the trend right now in fighting games, a game like SF4 has had like 3 revisions already (capcom rite) ,but you can clearly notice how much
easier is to win in the latest version of the game, characters move faster, normals are stronger, specials are easier to do. It's like they want to capitalize
into the reaction times idea.
I guess I think of reaction time as more of a reflexive kind of response, as opposed to picking up on enemy patterns, applying pressure, and countering accordingly. Without inputs it's like one more barrier between skill and total luck (RPS) is removed. But again, I dunno fuckall about modern fighting games because I'm bad at them.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:23 am

we are all bad at them s'ok
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm

I hope someone actually plays the damn game. I need more bad people to play. Its free!
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:49 pm

rottencheeseCA wrote:just played a match with someone named KoD. Was it the real one? I won, so maybe.
No sir, sorry.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:04 pm

Didin't think so. Game is still fun. Stickbeast is bad at it, I hear from him.

the legend never dies
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:56 am

they all look so ugly tho
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:02 pm

yeah, the art style is just kinda there. Not really offensive really. Also, I'm not sure how big the robots are supposed to be. There is this dropship in the background that either has a really big window in the front, or the robots are only like 20 feet tall.
Base

Post by Base » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:02 pm

So the thing about fighting games is that it's much more about options and making quick, good decisions, rather than the technical skill required to complete those decisions. The only thing the technical requirement does is separate players who practice a lot from the ones who do not-- which in the case of certain games, such as Guilty Gear and Street Fighter, is exactly what you want. You never want to go to a big tournament like EVO and get beat out because an inferior player made a lucky guess.

That's not to say this idea doesn't have merit; The idea has been experimented with before, but not really on this scale. There is definitely a market for a simplified fighting game, if only to get people who aren't into fighter's already, interested in the more complex games. Even if Rising Thunder doesn't turn out competitive, it could still become popular and encourage new players to look into the more difficult series.

I'll have to try it out myself, later.
Yatta! wrote: *Probability of not fucking up the engine is correlated to the chance of M&Ms being in an M&M cookie, which are really fucking delicious, mind you.
http://gamepsyche.wordpress.com/ <--My blog.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER