Concerning CS:JO & Mumble

Discussion for all Counter-Strike titles - csgo.joe.to

Should we continue to use Mumble while on CS:JO? (please weigh pros and cons first)

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 18
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Concerning CS:JO & Mumble

Post by KoD » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:00 pm

I wanted to have an open discussion so I can gather y'alls thoughts on using mumble while we play CS:JO. Eviltechie brought up in IRC that not everyone who plays with us on the server is on Mumble and therefore missing out on the fun.
I compiled this basic list of what I consider are the upsides and downsides and I want to know what y'all think about using mumble for this purpose.

Good:
  1. Players who don't want to hear us talk constantly don't have to mute players or disable voice chat.
  2. Voice quality is better and transmits almost instantaneously.
  Bad:
  1. Players who don't have mumble or don't realize we even use it will miss out on entertaining chat and potentially important game discussion.
  2. External client required, has extra overlay by default, different volumes than the game itself and requires tabbing out to mute people, adjust settings or moderate. Sometimes requires manual client updating.
  3. Immediate voice transmission means easier ghosting; "BEHIND YOU!" becomes much more effective.
  4. If players talk on the server they may not be heard or ignored.

Personally I feel that the downsides of using mumble are worth kicking it to the side. The in-game voice is pretty good to begin with and would ensure everyone can be exposed to our shenanigans. This is especially important if we want a returning player base. Unlike CS:S, randoms actually join our CS:GO server. The tomfoolery can be viewed both ways of course, a lot of CS players don't care to have their ears bleeding by the end of the night - but they optionally have the ability to "voice_enable 0". With that in consideration I still think it's best to use the in-game voice chat.

Thoughts?
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Re: Concerning CS:JO & Mumble

Post by Neelpos » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:24 pm

I've regularly stated that there's no point to using mumble while in CS:GO because with deadtalk disabled and alltalk on the in game chat client works fine and doesn't leave out anyone who doesn't have Mumble open. It's also confusing when two people are talking at the same time with one in game and one in mumble. Mumble is useful for many games, but there's no point to it in CS:JO.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:28 pm

If the main purpose of the server is to attract new people, and the main draws of the community are our use of custom maps and the funny, charismatic, and talkative group of people playing on them, keeping random players from experiencing one of those two draws seems counter-intuitive. I say no mumble.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

prolix

Post by prolix » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Code: Select all

19:41 <@prolix> i leave mumble to play csgo
19:41 <@prolix> too much chat going on with two seperate chat channels
19:42 <@prolix> plus mumble always has someone who isn't playing the game and refuses to shut the fuck up about what else they are playing
19:42 <@prolix> so i tend to mute or leave
 [19:45] [@prolix(+iwx)] [5:GameSurge/#J2srstaff(+Cinstz)] [Act: 2]
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:48 pm

I think CS:GO has a pretty good voice chat feature implemented in-game, especially since Valve updated the codec about half a year ago.
prolix wrote:19:42 <@prolix> plus mumble always has someone who isn't playing the game and refuses to shut the fuck up about what else they are playing
^^^ Also this. ^^^
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:45 am

Hell yes, we should continue to use mumble while on csgo . OK so given that csgo has it's own voice chat that shouldn't be problem, right?
But, mumble is sooo much fun specially if most people are playing the same game together.

Imagine if everyone is using csgo voice chat at the same time, it becomes a spam fest of chat ,and just like in tf4 that can be buzz kill.
Having mumble can divert much of the chat traffic ,but the notion that is either everyone is the same room or no one is the room doesn't seem like the sound option.

It is better to have more options if anything, if people want to use mumble only, fine. If people want to use csgo chat that's fine as well. But, if people want to use both
then that's no issue at all. Remember, you can always mute either chat if you want to focus. Finally, if people are ghosting who cares it's not a competitive server your csgo
e-peen is not at stake, cmon guys
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:53 am

Until the server is more active than the one random night a week max quota its pulling now the argument is pretty mute.
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:04 am

Part of me feels like the question boils down to this, would you rather continue talking in your super secret club, or begin associating with the common rabble of game chat?

Obviously using game chat is waaaaay more convenient and is a guaranteed way to ensure you'll be talking with people who are doing the same thing. I'd personally just rather get the CS:JO notification, load up the game, join, and start chatting with everyone else.
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:14 am

Django wrote: Imagine if everyone is using csgo voice chat at the same time, it becomes a spam fest of chat ,and just like in tf4 that can be buzz kill.
I have never had anything close to an issue with spam on the csgo server. Now on the mumble channel, thats a common occurrence, precisely because people who aren't on CSGO feel the need to come in and talk.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:17 pm

I don't mean to sound like a dick BUT: how is this even a question.
We are trying to regrow the community and I invite people that I've met from comp matches into csjo and they can't hear us talking and someone is like "GET MUMBLE" that doesn't retain or accomplish anything.

Sometimes people have to get comfortable in a community first before they branch out to forums or even mumble. And no offense but certain sectors of our mumble aren't the friendliest to new comers.

Also using both won't work because then the conversation is segregated.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2