Overwatch

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Re: Overwatch

Post by narwal » Sun May 08, 2016 11:03 pm

I feel like everyone's pretty balanced, except for Torbjorn's turret range and aggro speed.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Da_man
Party Hard!

Post by Da_man » Mon May 09, 2016 12:14 am

Really, the balancing seems "Well, if everything is overpowered, then nothing is overpowered"

The amount of insta or near-insta kill things going on pisses me off. Like Roadhog's hook-pull-shotgun thing, Hanzo's "fuck everyone in this general direction" ult, DVa's "fuck everyone on the point", Widowmaker's "fuck this person in particular", etc. A lot of it is timing and waiting for the ult to build more than anything else, and I'm not 100% sure if I like it or not.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Mon May 09, 2016 3:41 am

Da_man wrote:Really, the balancing seems "Well, if everything is overpowered, then nothing is overpowered"
I completely agree with this. Any time someone says a hero is OP, I just say they're all OP because I've heard complaints about almost every single one of them. The only hero I legitimately think is OP right now is Bastion because he is basically a very mobile sentry gun. He transforms in and out of turret mode way too quickly.

I also agree that there are a lot of insta-kill things that can get fairly annoying, and yet I find myself having a ton of fun playing Overwatch. I've never been a fan of tank characters or healers, but I enjoy Reinhardt and Lucio which means the devs are doing something right.
Maha

Post by Maha » Mon May 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Open Beta extended to an extra 24 hours.

So what's the verdict on what everyone's played so far? Does a regular game night of Overwatch tickle anyone's fancy by the time the game actually releases?
EvilWalrus
Coo Coo Ca-Choo

Post by EvilWalrus » Mon May 09, 2016 2:50 pm

Only thing they need to do is balance everyone, then the game is perfect.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Been playing with 5 friends since the second it opened. Really, really enjoying the game.

in other news, Zarya
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Mon May 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Hanzo's ult isn't that bad. Just listen for the angry japanese yelling and move to the side of the slow-ass glowing twin dragons.

Bastions is also easy, he's a turret, that means he cant move which means get the jump on him and push his shit in. Alternatively you can have a reinhardt block the shots while your team focuses him really quick. You can also have one of the snipers shoot him from really far away. He has very clear counterplay.

I'll go ass far to say that roadhog's combo is pretty killer and hard to fight, but you typically cant get oneshot if you're not squishy. There is some counters however. Reaper can go into shade mode as soon as the stun is off, tracer can recall, genji can reflect, mcree can stun grenade him, etc.

D.Va's ult has no effect if you're behind any sort of non-destructible cover. You can literally hide behind a lamp post and the ult won't do jack-shit.

The real value of ults like roadhog's, winston, D.Va, and Hanzo comes from not some much their killing power, but their ability to clear an area in general, because either the targets get killed or they have to leave the area temporarily which allows for some nice stalling. This applies to most aoe ults, though reaper's does have a lot more killing potential.

My verdict is that it's a great really fun game and it's the perfect thing to replace TF2 in terms of finding fun things to do. The matches are usually short, engaging, fun and only occasionally frustrating. Even of a match is frustrating the best part is that you can leave with little consequence in casual play, which I think is very nice and it brings me back to Call of Duty's matchmaking (I know, pretty shit games, but the very casual atmosphere is just great when you're looking to kill time or have some fun matches with friends). Overall I rate 9/10. Solid gameplay, a nice style, good graphics and sound design, and fairly acceptable netcode. My only gripe is a few balance issues and how difficult it can be to actually get the unlockables you want (it's such a pain in the ass trying to get lucky with the crates and get either some cash you need, or the unlockable itself)
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
Why?
I DON'T MAKE MAPS!!!™

Post by Why? » Mon May 09, 2016 4:42 pm

You people need to invite me before I call it quits for the night, not after. Also, please do invite me if I'm in-game, cause pubs still suck.

PS: I did the impossible and got a Lucio PotG.
"Too awesome to play; too legit to quit." — Team Spectator Motto

Maha

Post by Maha » Mon May 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Now do a Phara Ult and not get shot in the face before it goes off.

Also invite me as well. Pubs have been enraging fir me lately.
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Mon May 09, 2016 11:04 pm

KatanaRama wrote:Bastions is also easy, he's a turret, that means he cant move which means get the jump on him and push his shit in. Alternatively you can have a reinhardt block the shots while your team focuses him really quick. You can also have one of the snipers shoot him from really far away. He has very clear counterplay.
Bastion is incredibly mobile actually. If he is getting shot at as a turret, he can switch out in an instant and run away to go heal himself, or if you want to be a turtley Bastion, you can just have a Reinhardt stand in front of you with a shield which is very hard to counter. There are also plenty of areas on maps where your team can't sneak behind or shoot from far away or look at him with a shield while not being shot in the back by the entire rest of the enemy team. The best counter for Bastion is Genji because you can reflect bullets back at him, but if they're a decent player, they'll wait a bit before shooting at a Genji, and then they won't die.
Why?
I DON'T MAKE MAPS!!!™

Post by Why? » Tue May 10, 2016 3:22 am

I definitely had fun with this open beta. Pubs still keep sucking, like I always say, but I still manage to have fun with all the different characters (Lucio is love, Lucio is life). Yeah, there are balance issues, but Blizz usually does a good job at balancing. Since I have the hard drive space for it, I'll keep it installed in-case they have another open beta. I'll definitely consider putting it on my "games to buy" list, depending on how many j2ers get it.
"Too awesome to play; too legit to quit." — Team Spectator Motto

narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue May 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Wolsk wrote:
KatanaRama wrote:Bastions is also easy, he's a turret, that means he cant move which means get the jump on him and push his shit in. Alternatively you can have a reinhardt block the shots while your team focuses him really quick. You can also have one of the snipers shoot him from really far away. He has very clear counterplay.
Bastion is incredibly mobile actually. If he is getting shot at as a turret, he can switch out in an instant and run away to go heal himself, or if you want to be a turtley Bastion, you can just have a Reinhardt stand in front of you with a shield which is very hard to counter. There are also plenty of areas on maps where your team can't sneak behind or shoot from far away or look at him with a shield while not being shot in the back by the entire rest of the enemy team. The best counter for Bastion is Genji because you can reflect bullets back at him, but if they're a decent player, they'll wait a bit before shooting at a Genji, and then they won't die.
Genji or Zarya. A good Zarya (like yours truly B]) turns Bastion's hail of bullets int particle cannon damage using her shield. Then it's just a matter of right clicking over cover or charging him with a shield up.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
KatanaRama

Post by KatanaRama » Tue May 10, 2016 8:43 pm

narwal wrote:
Wolsk wrote:
Genji or Zarya. A good Zarya (like yours truly B]) turns Bastion's hail of bullets int particle cannon damage using her shield. Then it's just a matter of right clicking over cover or charging him with a shield up.
Honestly anyone that can flank him will kill him so long as they get a good burst off on the glowy shit on his back, as it counts as a headshot.

EDIT: I've personally done it well with Genji, Reaper, Hanzo. Also a Roadhog landing a hook on him is a death sentence.
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
KatanaRama

Post by KatanaRama » Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Also how were you guys recording the potgs? I have some stuff I'd like to share
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue May 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Nvidia shadowplay. Mine looks kinda dumb cause I messed up the render settings a bit.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!