New Law Could Let Students Sue For Untolerated Beliefs

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
sys

Post by sys » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:01 pm

Gollum wrote:

As we learn more and more about the earth we are finding out it it isn't as old as we thought.
sources? (of the credible variety please)
"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention"
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:19 am

Gollum wrote:However life didn't begin untill around 6,000 years ago.
Well this is something we just aren't going to agree on.
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Gollum wrote:However life didn't begin untill around 6,000 years ago.
Please don't make comments about stuff you know nothing about.
I love it.

You have any proof to back up your 6000 year old claim?

Besides, even ID is discredited just about every time it comes up. The crux of Intelligent Design is that some things are so gosh darned complicated, that clearly, CLEARLY, only a Higher Power could have made them! The problem with that is that whenever someone points out something that could NEVER EVER have evolved and OBVIOUSLY had to be a product of someone designing it, someone finds out that really could have evolved and in fact here is the reason how and why. Intelligent Design is just a nice new backdoor for Creationism to sneak through. Please, don't even pretend that it's anything but.

Honestly, even the pope believes that evolution is a real thing. Why is it so fucking hard for the rest of the christian world to accept that, gosh, maybe the bible shouldn't be taken altogether literally in some parts?
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:44 pm

Volmarias wrote:Besides, even ID is discredited just about every time it comes up. The crux of Intelligent Design is that some things are so gosh darned complicated, that clearly, CLEARLY, only a Higher Power could have made them!
Another problem with this is that many don't like to use this logical reasoning across the board. Okay fine, some things are so unbelievably complex that it's rediculous to claim they came about by chance, through evolution. Okay, so our designers / creators MUST be more complex than ourselves, surely. So who created the creator? If someone wants to apply logical reasoning, they have to go all the way and apply it to everything.
small_pox

Post by small_pox » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Gollum, how can you argue with things like carbon dating that say that the dinosaurs existed 65,000,000 years ago? It has even been proven that humans lived over 6,000 years ago, also.
Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:33 pm

To be honest I can't recall the exact date in which it is thought that man appeared in the bible. 6,000 seems about right but it may be more or less.

Anyways this is turning into a creation/vs Evoltuion topics again. Every arguement is the same and I answer those questions over and over again. Lets just resurect the same 5 topics we already had on this issuse instead of running around a circle again. I don't have time for it. You didn't beleive what I said the first couple of times what difference is another one.
Moogle

Post by Moogle » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:04 pm

Dinosaurs never existed silly.... :P And if they did, god made them - oh wait - who made God ? :roll:
Emo Rescue Squad ! || 'Why is his nose a cocknballs. Is 2010 the year of the cocknballs?' - Jason || <(^.^)>
NinjaBirdman

Post by NinjaBirdman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:41 pm

Honestly, even the pope believes that evolution is a real thing. Why is it so fucking hard for the rest of the christian world to accept that, gosh, maybe the bible shouldn't be taken altogether literally in some parts?
Seriously Gollum, I went to Catholic school all the way through high school and I never heard and priest/deacon/bishop/sister/brother/anybody claim that life started 6,000 years ago. You have to not take the Bible so literally. It was only inspired by God, not written by him(or at least that's what Catholics say anyway), it can be wrong.

I'm sick of all these people taking the Bible so damn literally. It's stupid.
Last edited by NinjaBirdman on Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:43 pm

NinjaBirdman wrote:
Seriously Gollum, I went to Catholic school all the way through high school and I never heard and priest/deacon/bishop/anybody claim that life started 6,000 years ago. You have to not take the Bible so literally. It was only inspired by God, not written by him(or at least that's what you guys say anyway), it can be wrong.

I'm sick of all these people taking the Bible so damn literally. It's stupid.
I've spoken to loads of different christians. Not all believe the same things. Some genuinly believe young-earth theory and some don't. Some believe the bible is to be taken literally and is the "word of god" and some, like you said, see it as inspired by god.
NinjaBirdman

Post by NinjaBirdman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:53 pm

Well yeah, I know some people do believe it, and for some reason it seems it's getting more popular. I just can't understand how people can snuff their noses at all the evidence there is against it. The Bible is not perfect! Hell, most of the stories in it are based on older stories, their not even original.

Bleh, I guess most organized religions just frustrate me now. Could some God or gods have created the Earth or something? Sure. Is there really any way to know that in your life? Is there any way to know which god is the right god? Nope and nope, and yet loads of these people make all these crazy claims based on a book written by man. I just don't get it. The world would be better off without religion.
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:05 pm

You're preaching to the choir man. ;)
NinjaBirdman

Post by NinjaBirdman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:38 pm

Yeah, I guess I just needed to rant a litte. :)
Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:09 pm

First I do not consider most Catholics Christains. There are some major differences in beliefs. What good is the bible if you can't believe everything in it? "Today I will believe this part of the bible. Tommorow if it suits me I will believe another part." I am sry but its an all or nothing for me. I bet noone here has ever studied the bible let alone read it. Heck alot of christains havn't even study the whole bible. Life had to start somewhere.

There isn't proof that the bible is wrong. Saying that there is over and over again isn't going to change that. I can name you historians/scientist ofver and over again that have tried and failed. There is evidence to support that it is true but maybe not enough to say for fact. (At least parts of it) I am sure you can name just as many that say otherwise. Now we got a he said she said argument.

Evolution is just impossible. That is why its a theory. There is evidence that supports it but there are way too many wholes.

1. Complexe systems cannot be forms through minor modifications. Take the eye for example. Better yet take a bunch of cells that can see light, nothing else. It can't be mad through evolution. At very least it can't be explain through evolution. Read about it here. http://www.arn.org/behe/behehome.htm

2. Where did all this matter come from? Theres alot out there you know. The LAW of matter and energy stats that matter is constant it can neither be created nor destroyed only change from one form to another.

3. Odds: If you look at things from the Evolutionist's point of view you would have to believe that if enough monkeys typed for long enough, eventually one of them would type a perfect unabridged dictionary. Possible? Well you must if you beleieve in evolution. That is if you can get by the other problems.
Space Butler

Post by Space Butler » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:20 pm

All geologic (and astrophysical) evidence points to the fact that the Bible is wrong. Earth was not created in a day. Of course one could argue that God created the universe so it looked like it was very old to fool us all, but that's a philosophical argument, not a scientific one.
Gollum wrote:1. Complexe systems cannot be forms through minor modifications. Take the eye for example. Better yet take a bunch of cells that can see light, nothing else. It can't be mad through evolution. At very least it can't be explain through evolution. Read about it here. http://www.arn.org/behe/behehome.htm
Obviously, if we can't explain something, God must have done it...

Gollum wrote:3. Odds: If you look at things from the Evolutionist's point of view you would have to believe that if enough monkeys typed for long enough, eventually one of them would type a perfect unabridged dictionary. Possible? Well you must if you beleieve in evolution. That is if you can get by the other problems.
Um, this is in fact true.

Do you believe that if monkeys typed forever on keyboards, they would never type a unabridged dictionary?

If so, you need more math classes.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Probability of the monkies typing is more likely than a magical genie coming from the sky and creating the world.

What if this magical genie was an alien? Then the whole religious crap would make a twisted sick amount of sense.

Didnt the bible say wisdom was bad? Dont eat the apple, you might lean something! Dont teach evolution, you might learn something! Dont fund the scientists, they are proving things we said were not possible.

Christians can eat my engineering ass with a fucking spoon...

...they might learn something.
"If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the precipitate."