Four Amendments & a Funeral

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
Delinquent

Four Amendments & a Funeral

Post by Delinquent » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:45 am

It was a fairy-tale political season for George W. Bush, and it seemed like no one in the world noticed. Amid bombs in London, bloodshed in Iraq, a missing blonde in Aruba and a scandal curling up on the doorstep of Karl Rove, Bush's Republican Party quietly celebrated a massacre on Capitol Hill. Two of the most long-awaited legislative wet dreams of the Washington Insiders Club -- an energy bill and a much-delayed highway bill -- breezed into law. One mildly nervous evening was all it took to pass through the House the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), for years now a primary strategic focus of the battle-in-Seattle activist scene. And accompanied by scarcely a whimper from the Democratic opposition, a second version of the notorious USA Patriot Act passed triumphantly through both houses of Congress, with most of the law being made permanent this time.
Source= RollingStonesArticle.

Joe posted this in #joe.to on IRC, and I find it important enough to bring to everyone's attention. "Good Game."

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083
Gollum

Post by Gollum » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:56 am

Its to long for me to read but whats wrong with the energy bill beside being to little to late? With oil Prices climbing hire and hire everyday we need some relief. By reducing taxes and regulations on energy companies helps bring down the cost.
Try not! Do, or do not! There is no try!
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:20 am

If you still think reducing taxes for the wealthiest americans is the way to fix our economy you're wrong.

Read the entire article. It's even divided into nice Amendment sections if you don't want to read it all.

It explains it better than I ever could.

/.Delinquent
Chickennoodle Soup

Post by Chickennoodle Soup » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:12 pm

whell considering that like the top 50% of americans pay the most taxes :rol: or 30% i forget the actual figure of it all
The Steam motto should be "We fix it till its broken."
Vegetarian

Post by Vegetarian » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Please Mr. Bush, fuck up America some more please!
Something goes here, but it's not important
sys

Post by sys » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:52 pm

Chickennoodle Soup wrote:whell considering that like the top 50% of americans pay the most taxes :rol: or 30% i forget the actual figure of it all
uh... what?
"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention"
EDEdDNEdDYFaN

Post by EDEdDNEdDYFaN » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:21 pm

sys wrote:
Chickennoodle Soup wrote:whell considering that like the top 50% of americans pay the most taxes :rol: or 30% i forget the actual figure of it all
uh... what?
ImageImage
Chickennoodle Soup

Post by Chickennoodle Soup » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:32 pm

since the higher up on the economic ladder u r, the more ur taxed. so the richest people pay the most taxes even tho they use the money the least
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:06 pm

Um, no.

Percentages should be strait accross the board, maybe lower for lower wages, but definately not lower for larger wages, which is what Bush is doing.

/.Delinquent
InfinitumG35

Post by InfinitumG35 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Yeah, why lower taxes for those who have the money to pay them like pocket change?
Chickennoodle Soup

Post by Chickennoodle Soup » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:32 pm

whell its in some ways good the way it is but u shouldnt go to extremes i mean if u say there poor they shouldnt have to pay taxes and the govt should take care of them and then lets tax the rich like hell it really isnt fair. its kinda discouraging people from becoming succesful, if i knew that if im rich there gonna tax me like crazy,and if im poor i wont be and the govt will buy most my shit. id jsut be poor. what they should do is get rid of the holes that corporatins use like GM who now prolly wont have to pay taxes for years cuz they lost some money.
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:38 pm

The problem with the energy bill is that it's basically giving subsidies to the energy companies, to perform offshore drilling that's environmentally harmful, that they could easily afford themselves with the record profits this year.

That and the whole "Cheney won't tell us who he met with to determine what should be on the energy bill, but it sure as hell wasn't anyone advocating clean energy because he didn't actually meet with any of them"

Basically, a lot of people are seeing it as a way to pay the oil companies with taxpayer's dollars because their ties to the administration pay off, and I'm one of them.

As far as taxes go, you can see the income tax rate schedule here:
http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0, ... 17,00.html

The tax brackets are actually a lot lower than I thought they'd be. That's not to say that loopholes of various kinds don't exist.
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:40 pm

Chickennoodle: You sound like Reagan. But I agree wholeheartedly on getting rid of tax breaks for corporations; they barely pay shit now, because we're so afraid that they'll move somewhere else and take their precious, precious jobs.
Chickennoodle Soup

Post by Chickennoodle Soup » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:40 pm

ya the tax brackets dont really go way to high. i mean mabe a tax break would be good but mabe also another bracket should be added for even highter wages than what they currently go to
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:46 pm

But isn't that what you're arguing against? That taxes for the rich should be lower?